TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: We're not in 'beach mode'.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Says Mousinho, on the official site. Oh yes you are and have been for some weeks now. Consequently, as Derby need three points, I am not optimistic for tomorrow.
(28-04-2023, 01:12 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]Says Mousinho, on the official site. Oh yes you are and have been for some weeks now. Consequently, as Derby need three points, I am not optimistic for tomorrow.

I tend to agree with Mousinho here, teams in 'beach mode' do not look as disppointed coming off the field as we have in these past 4 draws, and I can't really think of any individual players who you could accuse of not trying. 

I think the truth is more likely to be that we are just not good enough to raise our game against poor opposition when the pressure is on. A weakness in the squad that predates Mousinho by years.  If we had been playing better teams (not the top 4 though) I suspect our performances and results would have been better and the very realistic chance we had of making the play-offs before those 4 draws now still a possibility. 

Having said that, beach mode is likely to start tomorrow with nothing at stake, but at least we kept the season alive for 44 games.
If they are not in beach mode, then what the royal fuck??? This is the most passion and desire that the team can provide?! I certainly hope they are in beach mode because if they aren't, it's a worrying indicator of their mentality.
Exactly, I decided to stay in Spoons with a few mates instead of going to the FGR game which was a great decision, went to the following games only to be bored rigid and go home pissed off. I’ve given my ST away for the last two home games ( Accy and Wycombe). I’ll still be a mug and renew next season.
Lol yes, you kust know that youyre going to be disappointed but we all do it anyway. Pompey is definitely an addiction. We aren't going anywhere, despite how bad it gets.
I used to be addicted but Tornante cured me
Plastic supporters! Pompey till I die!
Truth is that we are just an average team in a division of average teams, bar the top 3 or 4. If this shower can't be motivated by the prospect of playing in a higher league with better wages at better clubs/grounds in front of bigger crowds then it's a pretty sad indictment of the modern day footballer. I'd say that shows a distinct lack of effort. These are the times when you push yourself to perform to the best of your abilities. How far it's down to the manager is difficult to tell. We've seen it with our current and previous 2 managers.
A League One footballer can earn a pretty decent salary compared to the average annual salary of £33k. If the average player does that for a few years he's relatively quite well off.
The better players will move on and earn more obviously.
(28-04-2023, 01:45 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]If they are not in beach mode, then what the royal fuck??? This is the most passion and desire that the team can provide?! I certainly hope they are in beach mode because if they aren't, it's a worrying indicator of their mentality.

With the exception of one or two players who know they are not here next year (like perhaps Dale & Jacobs) passion and desire is not the issue IMO . It's ability, not as individuals but as a team.  There is certainly no problem with the passion and desire coming from the dugourt.   

Having said that we are unbeaten for 9 games with a points per game from those 9 games that puts you in the playoffs, so thats not bad for a team apparently 'on the beach'.   

The people who were on the beach early were the fans who gave up early on any possibility of the playoffs before that 9 game run started (or even earlier) when the games left were perfectly winnable. 
(28-04-2023, 04:02 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-04-2023, 01:45 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]If they are not in beach mode, then what the royal fuck??? This is the most passion and desire that the team can provide?! I certainly hope they are in beach mode because if they aren't, it's a worrying indicator of their mentality.

With the exception of one or two players who know they are not here next year (like perhaps Dale & Jacobs) passion and desire is not the issue IMO . It's ability, not as individuals but as a team.  There is certainly no problem with the passion and desire coming from the dugourt.   

Having said that we are unbeaten for 9 games with a points per game from those 9 games that puts you in the playoffs, so thats not bad for a team apparently 'on the beach'.   

The people who were on the beach early were the fans who gave up early on any possibility of the playoffs before that 9 game run started (or even earlier) when the games left were perfectly winnable. 

Players who haven't given a feck/suddenly lost complete form for the last month or so include: Ogilvie (who has quit taking on players any more), Krappikliffe (ofcourse), Dale, Jacobs, Pack, Robertson, Raggett and, when called upon, Thompson, Scarlett and Hume. Even Macey has fumbled a few in the last four games (although to be fair I don't envy him playing behind that defence and non-existent midfield. Only players I still retain respect for is Lowery (who admittedly doesn't seem the same since his injury and needs a break), Bishop (who has never had one this season), Hackett (sometimes) and Paddy Lane. Pack needs to properly get over his injuries and he'll be back better next season.

All we want is effort and you cannot say we had that against Morecambe, Oxford, Shrewsbury, Forest Green, Port Vale etc etc.
(28-04-2023, 04:02 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Shame we didn’t win those winnable games.
Yes of course it's a shame we didn't win some more of those winnable games but can the fans who had thrown in the towel really criticise players if they think they did the same ?
(28-04-2023, 02:06 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly, I decided to stay in Spoons with a few mates instead of going to the FGR game which was a great decision, went to the following games only to be bored rigid and go home pissed off. I’ve given my ST away for the last two home games ( Accy and Wycombe). I’ll still be a mug and renew next season.

....I tried to give mine away for the last game coz I'm away but nobody wanted it.
Inconsistent players with an awful injury record coached by a PE teacher.

Who could have seen this coming? Shock horror
(28-04-2023, 06:26 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Yes of course it's a shame we didn't win some more of those winnable games but can the fans who had thrown in the towel really criticise players if they think they did the same ?

I don't know about anyone else, but I threw in the towel when it was obvious the players had done so.
(28-04-2023, 07:58 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-04-2023, 06:26 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Yes of course it's a shame we didn't win some more of those winnable games but can the fans who had thrown in the towel really criticise players if they think they did the same ?

I don't know about anyone else, but I threw in the towel when it was obvious the players had done so.

Which time? Unfortunately as seems to be the Pompey way they got themselves back into a good position just to give up when success is in sight.