TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Team Today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(29-04-2023, 04:02 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Much better performance now the pressure's off. Draw is a good result.
Crowd 31K! We can't compete with that.

We don't have the capacity but if we did and had something to play for I bet we could get something like that. Have certainly been in bigger crowds at FP.
Taken as a separate entity, the recent run of results suggests that Mouseinho can get play offs out of the current squad over a full season. Given a window and some transfer activity, we should have a decent season next up. Add some pace in attack and we could be real contenders.
Our record attendance is in fact 10 thou more than Derby's. Just saying
(29-04-2023, 04:57 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Our record attendance is in fact 10 thou more than Derby's. Just saying

Isn’t our record attendance 51,385 v Derby County in the sixth round of the FA Cup in 1949. And I swear I didn’t google that, well not tonight anyway, I memorised it long ago
Just googled it and had everything right except it was the fifth round of the FA Cup not the sixth. Still I was close
(29-04-2023, 04:52 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-04-2023, 04:02 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Much better performance now the pressure's off. Draw is a good result.
Crowd 31K! We can't compete with that.

We don't have the capacity but if we did and had something to play for I bet we could get something like that. Have certainly been in bigger crowds at FP.

That's the point we don't have the capacity & suspect even with a North stand expansion 25K will probably be the tops. We need to get into the Championship next season. Apologies it was nearly 32K yesterday!
Fantastic effort from Pompey fans yesterday. Nothing to play for and over 3000 made the trip. Sounded like a great day out and a much improved performance too. Hats off all round.
Have to say, since I started going, approx 1977
I've only once been in a crowd of 36K
28K a few times although there was nearly a disaster outside the ground on one of those.
The Eisners have sad that the current external infrastructure is not up to "bigger" crowds", they could well be right.

Getting the park and ride to do football specials would be a good start, although getting buses to and from Fratton from the M275 could be problematical.
I think 36000 against Brighton was my biggest at Fratton. Seem to remember we won 1-0. Old Div 3 I think, probably in 76 or 77. Was that the one Hammie?
(01-05-2023, 05:31 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]I think 36000 against Brighton was my biggest at Fratton. Seem to remember we won 1-0. Old Div 3 I think, probably in 76 or 77. Was that the one Hammie?

sadly too early for me
FA Cup
which I have tried very hard to erase from my memory, although I did sell 800 programs!
Boxing Day 1977, crowd 32,368, 1-0 to Pompey, scored by David Kemp at the Milton End, with Maitland Pollock looking on. I was at the Fratton End.
That’s the one. Remember hitching to Brighton, maybe the same year and think we lost 4-0. Peter Ward all over Steve Foster (Fossie bear), who’d been transformed from a centre forward to a centre back. Think he carried on like that all his career. Everything’s getting a bit hazy!
I remember being in a crowd of 30k+ in the Peter Ward/spider Meller period. And the Goldstone was tiny....
Pages: 1 2