TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: PLYMOUTH ARGYLE FC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now we approach the time of recollection, reflection and - some may say - regret can we just ask the question (s) what have/do PAFC possess /DO that is ( I hate to say this) superior to Pompey ?

??

Ground capacity
Ground development
Fan base :  ( potential NOISE and support)
Sponsorship
Corporate sales/facilities
Youth teams/Academy
Owners
Manager
Players
Iconic fans ........ !
Pasties - well they should win on that one!

So how did they do it - seemingly from nowhere  - pre season I surmised mid table or 9th/10thn at best . 

So ?? 

PUP
I'd settle for a decent pasty at FP!
(01-05-2023, 05:44 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Now we approach the time of recollection, reflection and - some may say - regret can we just ask the question (s) what have/do PAFC possess /DO that is ( I hate to say this) superior to Pompey ?

??

Ground capacity
Ground development
Fan base :  ( potential NOISE and support)
Sponsorship
Corporate sales/facilities
Youth teams/Academy
Owners
Manager
Players
Iconic fans ........ !
Pasties - well they should win on that one!

So how did they do it - seemingly from nowhere  - pre season I surmised mid table or 9th/10thn at best . 

So ?? 

PUP

It would appear to be part luck and part clever management. Luck wise, they are shopping for players at the same level that we are. There’s have gelled and excelled ours haven’t. Clever management is getting the best out of that pool of players. Again they have done better than us. Fair lay to them, I wish them well in the championship.
Success and failure run in cycles. Plymouth are at around their 'natural' level - a good 3rd division side / a struggling 2nd division side.

Good luck to them!

Smaller clubs have won promotion from our division in recent seasons - Burton, Wycombe and Rotherham.
They haven’t had massive squad rebuilds over the last 3-4 seasons like we have ( almost every season).
They owned their own GK’ and strikers.
This season they got very good loans and they possess a really good young up and coming manager.
They play in green and that fools everyone into thinking they play with eleven goalkeepers?
(01-05-2023, 06:08 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]They haven’t had massive squad rebuilds over the last 3-4 seasons like we have ( almost every season).
They owned their own GK’ and strikers.
This season they got very good loans and they possess a really good young up and coming manager.

They look to have got the balance spot on. 

Also, expanding ground capacity.

Good young manager who used squad rotation to get the best out of the team.

May struggle in the Chapionship unless thet have a major cash injection though.
Replying to the OP

Acumen
Whisper it quietly but Plymouth's success this season was based in no small part on loan players.
And the short hop over the bridge into Cornwall ?
The disappointing thing for me is that I thought Pompey were the better team at Fratton Park this season and Argyle were lucky on the day.
(02-05-2023, 08:21 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]And the short hop over the bridge into Cornwall ?

Drove over that bridge again last week. Everytime I do so I am struck by the genius that was, just about, one of our own Big Grin
(02-05-2023, 11:12 AM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2023, 08:21 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]And the short hop over the bridge into Cornwall ?

Drove over that bridge again last week. Everytime I do so I am struck by the genius that was, just about, one of our own Big Grin

and some Academy chain wanted to take his name off of the local school!