TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: safe standing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm surprised and pleased to see the plan to get standing in the back of the Fratton End, this summer.
I'd assumed it would be next year.

The are gong to consult with ST holders in those rows. Hope they will go along with the plan and be able to find alternative seats that suit them too. 
Shame to lose one of those seats though, if it was me I'd have mixed feelings.
I haven't sat at a football ground in years, home or away.

My season ticket is at the back of the Fratton End so it won't bother me or the people around me in the slightest.
(03-05-2023, 06:12 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I'm surprised and pleased to see the plan to get standing in the back of the Fratton End, this summer.

The are gong to consult with ST holders in those rows. Hope they will go along with the plan and be able to find alternative seats that suit them too. 

So sad to see this gimmick inflicted on fratton park..
(03-05-2023, 11:39 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-05-2023, 06:12 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I'm surprised and pleased to see the plan to get standing in the back of the Fratton End, this summer.

So sad to see this gimmick inflicted on fratton park..

Gimmick ?  It's what many fans have been pleading for for 30 years or so. 

It's taken years of well organised fan pressure nationwide to make this happen, and it's nice to see the customer listened to for a change. Still plenty of seats for those that prefer to sit, and now those that prefer to stand can do so without threatening the safety licence for their club.
I can't agree that it's a gimmick. The numerous instances when crowd crushes resulted in the loss of life meant that, for large capacity grounds, terraces as they used to exist were never going to make a return.

I'm a big fan of the alternative and would have no issue being in a standing section. For me football is a dynamic experience, enhanced by being on your feet. There should always be seats available for those that require them. I believe the atmosphere of a ground is hugely improved when people are on their feet, the energy is so much better.

Most people can (or should be able to) stand for the duration of a football match. Sitting on your arse all day is a modern disease.
(04-05-2023, 09:49 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]I can't agree that it's a gimmick. The numerous instances when crowd crushes resulted in the loss of life meant that, for large capacity grounds, terraces as they used to exist were never going to make a return.

I'm a big fan of the alternative and would have no issue being in a standing section. For me football is a dynamic experience, enhanced by being on your feet. There should always be seats available for those that require them. I believe the atmosphere of a ground is hugely improved when people are on their feet, the energy is so much better.

Most people can (or should be able to) stand for the duration of a football match. Sitting on your arse all day is a modern disease.

I'm guessing you're on the young side.
(04-05-2023, 10:31 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-05-2023, 09:49 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]I can't agree that it's a gimmick. The numerous instances when crowd crushes resulted in the loss of life meant that, for large capacity grounds, terraces as they used to exist were never going to make a return.

I’m over 70 and would need to sit but I can understand the demand for standing which I grew up with.
So yeah, I’m all for safe standing and the added bonus of getting a few more punters through the turnstiles.
(04-05-2023, 10:41 AM)Slagger Wrote: [ -> ]

I’m over 70 and would need to sit but I can understand the demand for standing which I grew up with.
So yeah, I’m all for safe standing and the added bonus of getting a few more punters through the turnstiles.

I agree totally.

I’m in the same age ball park, at the moment I am thankfully able to stand for 90 minutes but that will probably change. When it does, it will be up to me to move if safe standing has been installed where I usually sit.
Ball park??? Gaffer, please.

A-ha-ha-ha-ha. Young side of 60 but nothing else. I do try to keep myself in reasonable shape.
(04-05-2023, 11:00 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Ball park??? Gaffer, please.

Big Grin  A momentary aberration.
With a dodgy hip down to too much fast bowling and tennis serving, a seat is necessary these days.
As long as those who want to stand can do so and those who want to sit can do so, I have no problem either way.
much as the ground was originally designed to do actually! And the South terrace was never going to be a danger to anyone, for instance.