TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Transfer Rumors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(31-05-2023, 09:07 PM)Slagger Wrote: [ -> ]Not a wiff of a rumour then…a lot of nostalgic longing for the return of Whatmough, Ritchie, Naylor etc. Unlikely imho, doesn’t fit the strategy of hiring promising young talent with Championship potential and/or lucrative sell on value. We will have to wait patiently for Hughes to wield his magic wand. Or leave us all underwhelmed.

Hirst would be a major signing & we all know what he can do setting up & scoring goals. 

Paired with Bishop upfront they'd destroy Div 1 defences.

Offer him £5K/week & regular games.
Daniel Agyei from crewe.
He's done well for them but didn't pull any trees up at Oxford. Back up to colby.
I'd hope for more and because of this, its a no from me.
We need someone who will push colby
(31-05-2023, 10:02 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]
(31-05-2023, 09:07 PM)Slagger Wrote: [ -> ]Not a wiff of a rumour then…a lot of nostalgic longing for the return of Whatmough, Ritchie, Naylor etc. Unlikely imho, doesn’t fit the strategy of hiring promising young talent with Championship potential and/or lucrative sell on value. We will have to wait patiently for Hughes to wield his magic wand. Or leave us all underwhelmed.

Hirst would be a major signing & we all know what he can do setting up & scoring goals. 

I’m sure he’d jump at the chance to take a 75% pay cut.
I’m sure he’d jump at the chance of a contract.

How much he rates his worth, compared to how much prospective clubs are prepared to pay, would be interesting.

I certainly wouldn’t object to having George Hirst but only at the right price. He isn’t worth the wages he’s currently earning.

Unfortunately, just as Mousinho would not pair Pigott with Bishop, he won't pair Hurst with Bishop.
I think Bishop did far more for Pigotts game than the reverse.

I think Hirst would take a fair bit of Bishops workload. Mousinho may well feel the same, if it was ever possible.
One up front, the curse of our time. Especially for the majority who have tried to do it for us.
(01-06-2023, 10:20 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]One up front, the curse of our time. Especially for the majority who have tried to do it for us.

4231 is fine as long as when we have the ball the 2 wide players push up and the 10 become a second striker (in the hole)
(26-05-2023, 04:42 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-05-2023, 04:40 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-05-2023, 04:22 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]George Hirst worth a go

16k a week @ Leicester. Plus a fee would be involved. Not going to happen sadly.

That's mental money for a player who can't yet hack it at championship level. Leicester will be desperate to offload him if they get relegated.

I'd have thought the opposite. Surely their relegation makes it far more likely that they will decide to keep him. They will desperately need to shift those on premiership wages  (£187m per year at the moment apparently) so those like Hirst on championship wages must have a better chance of playing.   His second half of the season achievements with Ipswich last year, and us the year before, must mark him out as championship potential. 

He would never had made their first team in the Prem, but must have more chance in the championship.
They'll sell anything and everything they can now. Their parachute money is already saddled against debt and they haven't written relegation clauses into the remaining side.
(01-06-2023, 11:10 AM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]They'll sell anything and everything they can now. Their parachute money is already saddled against debt and they haven't written relegation clauses into the remaining side.

not having relegation clauses is utterly stupid as we found out to our cost.
Especially cos the best players move on and you get left with very very expensive rubbish.
(31-05-2023, 10:29 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Might of known that a comment like that would come from your lips!

How do we know he was on £16K at Leicester?

It could be quite true as the whole squad was being overpaid & in a big way led to their downfall.

He may indeed have a place at Leicester as all their overpaid stars leave but on greatly reduced wages.

Also, whover the manager is next season  may not rate him.

I would have thought that Ipswich would be keen to sign him as they've seen what he can do.

If Mousinho wants to play 4231 the fans won't be happy as reverting to our old negative tactics. 

I have a feeling they won't go for him but a much cheaper option.

Ledt's see how much ambition the club have for next season I'm yet to be convinced.
Sorry for calling out your bullshit Mikey.
(02-06-2023, 09:32 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]
(31-05-2023, 10:29 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Might of known that a comment like that would come from your lips!

How do we know he was on £16K at Leicester?

It could be quite true as the whole squad was being overpaid & in a big way led to their downfall.

He may indeed have a place at Leicester as all their overpaid stars leave but on greatly reduced wages.

Also, whover the manager is next season  may not rate him.

I would have thought that Ipswich would be keen to sign him as they've seen what he can do.

If Mousinho wants to play 4231 the fans won't be happy as reverting to our old negative tactics. 

I have a feeling they won't go for him but a much cheaper option.

Ledt's see how much ambition the club have for next season I'm yet to be convinced.

4231 doesn’t have to be negative it’s all about pushing foward. If we went attacking it would be 424 

It also depends where the 10 plays which effectively makes it 433.
Ipswich went up and scored shed loads using 4231.
You need the 3 behind the striker to score plenty especially a goal scoring No 10 ( like Chaplin) as well as a decent striker on the bench
(03-06-2023, 08:10 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Ipswich went up and scored shed loads using 4231.
You need the 3 behind the striker to score plenty especially a goal scoring No 10 ( like Chaplin) as well as a decent striker on the bench

I just think people write 4231 off as they just see it as one up top

Out of possession 

—Pack-morrell—
Lane-leigh-agyei
——-Bishop——

In possession 

———Pack———
—morrell—Leigh—
Lane-bishop-agyei

Just the midfield structure you’d have full backs bombing up pack would sit in front of the central defenders effectively protecting as a back 3. That way a 4231 you could have 7 attacking.

Also only using Leigh and Agyei as 2 players that could fit a attacking midfielder and left forward which are reasonable targets
The trouble is that when Pompey have played one up front we simply do not get enough bodies in the box at crucial times. So whichever "winger" is putting the ball in, they usually only have one team mate to pick out of the crowd. And he is usually being hugged by a defender.
(03-06-2023, 10:49 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]The trouble is that when Pompey have played one up front we simply do not get enough bodies in the box at crucial times. So whichever "winger" is putting the ball in, they usually only have one team mate to pick out of the crowd. And he is usually being hugged by a defender.

That’s down to coaching though not the formation
You make it sound like you know what you’re talking about, Daniel.

WTF are you doing on here?
(02-06-2023, 10:43 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for calling out your bullshit Mikey.

No Problem, Honest Bullshit you wind Up merchant!!!
(03-06-2023, 03:48 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]You make it sound like you know what you’re talking about, Daniel.

WTF are you doing on here?

Just common sense really. 

Play 2 formations 1 in possession and 1 out of possession. But they have to be simple to interchange.

Pack has no legs anymore so should not chase the game have him sit all the time in front of the back 2.
In the 4231 system the midfield 3 doesn’t have to contain wingers. Ipswich had Broadhead, Chaplin and Wes Burns with either Hirst or Ladapo? up front. All 5 weighed in with a hatful of goals.
The best I've seem Pompey make it work was for a purple patch with Hawkins up front. For a while we looked impossible to mark as we got various bodies flooding into the area from all directions. Evans for instance arriving late and being pretty good from the edge of the box. Pretty much downhill ever since.
Agreed .... Hawkins was the best centre forward we have had to make the system work. Replacing him with Marquis was a big mistake.  

Mind you it helped that we had Lowe & Curtis (at his prime) in the wide roles.
My memory is of waves of attackers hitting the opposition defence. Ever since then it has been one on his own (whoever it was) and the opposite winger being noticeable by his absence at the back post and the likes of Marquis being somewhere else tackling back.
Going a way back I seem to recall us getting in Luther Blissett to coach one of our eventually very good strikers in the art of being a striker and not getting over involved elsewhere on the pitch.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8