TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Lack of ambition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(06-05-2023, 02:43 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2023, 02:20 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2023, 02:06 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]He had some successful loans too though  -  Bazunu, Carter , Hirst  & Romeo were all good last year. And it's difficult to criticise getting the likes of Azeez & Scarlett through the door even if they did not work out too well, as often happens with youngsters. 

This year's were less impressive, though I see Griffiths has just won Young Player of the Year at West Brom.

Bazunu - total waste of wages. Blocked the development of our own player. Idiotic signing.
Carter - IMO the best loan Danny signed. Very good player.
Hirst - We waited all season for him to start scoring goals. He has 4 good weeks right at the end of the season and thinks he's ready for the champ. Waste of wages. 
Romeo - Average L1 player on champ wages. Waste of money.

Every player left a hole in the squad that needed filling. You can't plan for a promotion campaign when you have all these players leaving every season.

The persistent playing of Hirst cost us the playoffs. We went in to 20 odd games knowing we weren’t going to score.

Complete bollocks ... Hirst only started two league games before he scored his first league goal in his third game. 
Yes, he was a loan that took half a season to come good, but to say we went 20 games knwowing we were weren't going to score because of him is complete and utter nonsense.  Why do you make up this shit ?
(06-05-2023, 01:14 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2023, 12:57 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2023, 12:47 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2023, 11:02 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2023, 10:22 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]4M isn't enough for us to build a promotion squad. We have tried to do that for quite a few seasons now and failed every time. Our manager isn't good enough to overachieve with that sized budget.

It would be added to the budget and is a lot less than most spend to get promoted.

The managers had half a season, amazing you know his full capabilities.

Plymouth's playing budget was apparently no bigger than ours, and they look like winning the league. 

It's not how much you spend, it's all about getting the best out of what you have got.

It’s not how much you spend it’s not letting Danny Cowley spend it.

I don't see much wrong with Cowley's spending - the likes of Morrell, Bishop, Ogilvie , Rafferty, Lowery, Thompson & Pack were all good signings and far outweigh any duds. His failure was not getting the best out of them - I would argue our squad on paper was at least as strong as Plymouth's, although their loans were far better than ours this season.

Hmm, Rafferty, Lowery, and Thompson were out injured a lot, Morrell was away for and out of sorts before Welsh games, Ogilvie and Pack have both come in for criticism on this site, so the just leaves Bishop.
(06-05-2023, 03:03 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2023, 02:43 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2023, 02:20 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2023, 02:06 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]He had some successful loans too though  -  Bazunu, Carter , Hirst  & Romeo were all good last year. And it's difficult to criticise getting the likes of Azeez & Scarlett through the door even if they did not work out too well, as often happens with youngsters. 

This year's were less impressive, though I see Griffiths has just won Young Player of the Year at West Brom.

Bazunu - total waste of wages. Blocked the development of our own player. Idiotic signing.
Carter - IMO the best loan Danny signed. Very good player.
Hirst - We waited all season for him to start scoring goals. He has 4 good weeks right at the end of the season and thinks he's ready for the champ. Waste of wages. 
Romeo - Average L1 player on champ wages. Waste of money.

Every player left a hole in the squad that needed filling. You can't plan for a promotion campaign when you have all these players leaving every season.

The persistent playing of Hirst cost us the playoffs. We went in to 20 odd games knowing we weren’t going to score.

Complete bollocks ... Hirst only started two league games before he scored his first league goal in his third game. 
Yes, he was a loan that took half a season to come good, but to say we went 20 games knwowing we were weren't going to score because of him is complete and utter nonsense.  Why do you make up this shit ?

We didn’t score goals though did we and we played him persistently until he came good in Jan so it’s not made up, it’s what happened.

You think DC was successful in the transfer market DB, that pretty much sums you up.
He started his first game on Nov 13th and scored his first goal ten days later.  Those are the facts.

And yes, I think there is a strong argument that DC was much better as a signer of players than he was as a manager of those players he signed.
(06-05-2023, 03:38 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]He started his first game on Nov 13th and scored his first goal ten days later.  Those are the facts.

And yes, I think there is a strong argument that DC was much better as a signer of players than he was as a manager of those players he signed.

And scored every other game did he?! How many games did we go without scoring?

You would think that DB and that’s why I never take you seriously.
But the big problem was that he was a loan player. So we had to start from scratch AGAIN the next season. The loan strategy previously used doesn't work and actually leaves you worse off the next season because those relationships aren't carried through to the next year.
(06-05-2023, 03:42 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]But the big problem was that he was a loan player. So we had to start from scratch AGAIN the next season. The loan strategy previously used doesn't work and actually leaves you worse off the next season because those relationships aren't carried through to the next year.

It worked OK for Plymouth.
Pompeyg loves an argument.
(06-05-2023, 03:40 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2023, 03:38 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]He started his first game on Nov 13th and scored his first goal ten days later.  Those are the facts.

We  did not go a single game that Hirst started without scoring before he started scoring regularly.  There were a few blanks during the period when he scored his 15 in half a season though.
(06-05-2023, 03:43 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2023, 03:42 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]But the big problem was that he was a loan player. So we had to start from scratch AGAIN the next season. The loan strategy previously used doesn't work and actually leaves you worse off the next season because those relationships aren't carried through to the next year.

It did. But not us. 

In any case, it sounds like the PFC hierarchy have finally cottoned on to the fact that it's a better strategy to develop your own players over other clubs players. Bonkers they've taken this long to work it out but hey ho. It'll be Danny's career downfall if he doesn't also work that out.
(06-05-2023, 03:48 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2023, 03:43 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

It did. But not us. 

In any case, it sounds like the PFC hierarchy have finally cottoned on to the fact that it's a better strategy to develop your own players over other clubs players. Bonkers they've taken this long to work it out but hey ho. It'll be Danny's career downfall if he doesn't also work that out.

They told Danny they didn’t want to continue with loans when they did all the podcasts but he is so useless he went and did it anyway.
(06-05-2023, 03:47 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2023, 03:40 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

We  did not go a single game that Hirst started without scoring before he started scoring regularly.  There were a few blanks during the period when he scored his 15 in half a season though.

A few blanks. He didn’t score regularly until January!!
I repeat  .... he didn't start a game till November.  He started scoring in the third game he started.
(06-05-2023, 12:47 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2023, 11:02 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2023, 10:22 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]4M isn't enough for us to build a promotion squad. We have tried to do that for quite a few seasons now and failed every time. Our manager isn't good enough to overachieve with that sized budget.

It would be added to the budget and is a lot less than most spend to get promoted.

The managers had half a season, amazing you know his full capabilities.

Plymouth's playing budget was apparently no bigger than ours, and they look like winning the league. 

It's not how much you spend, it's all about getting the best out of what you have got.
Their manager also rotated the squad on a regular basis so that players especially strikers weren't burnt out.
Pompeyg, I don’t have the facts but I would bet Hirst’s goal to minute ratio discounting penalties is not all that different to Colby’s. He was sub or subbed many times whereas Colby has played virtually every minute of every game. Your hate of all things Cowley may be clouding your judgement.
Most would of been happy if we sent hirst back in January
(06-05-2023, 05:16 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]Most would of been happy if we sent hirst back in January

Hirst struggled to hit the target on many occasions but he brought far more to the game than just scoring. Thankfully, he added goals to his game too, eventually.
I would agree that NC built a decent squad, started the season well but then started fiddling and annoying players. Curtis, for example, was sidelined and messed about to make room for a loan player who did well for two games then faded to nothing. As a result we lost a consistent provider of chances and goals for nothing at all.

Yes we had injuries, but NC then stated fiddling with the set up rather than playing square pegs in square holes. Also the we will but wing backs only to then not play 352
Now Walker, that'a a different story. One goal and 'walked' about like he was above it all.
(06-05-2023, 05:57 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Now Walker, that'a a different story. One goal and 'walked' about like he was above it all.

seemed like going back years to when every big signing we made flopped.
He really seemed like a big time charlie who could not be arsed to play in this division. Cost us a fortune, could probably have signed two decent 3rd tier players for the same wages.
(06-05-2023, 03:45 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Pompeyg loves an argument.

Argument? I thought this was board for abuse.
(06-05-2023, 06:07 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]

No, no, you want the board next door, 12A
(06-05-2023, 06:28 PM)66zoolane Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2023, 06:07 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]

No, no, you want the board next door, 12A

Why don't you mind your own bleedin' business and just shut your festing gob.......oh, next door! So sorry and thank you very much.
Got feck all to do with ambition. Ambition is just s buzzword of the plane hiring twatteratti.

You can't hold on to Bishop if a big club comes in for him with big bucks.
(06-05-2023, 07:24 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]Got feck all to do with ambition. Ambition is just s buzzword of the plane hiring twatteratti.

You can't hold on to Bishop if a big club comes in for him with big bucks.

he must be one of the most robust strikers in the division, apart from his other qualities, he never seemed to get injured. Which might be just the time to sell him as he gets crocked for the entire season!
Pages: 1 2 3