TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: 19 draws
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Did for us this season. Needed to convert just four to wins. Have we ever had so many?
Unbelievable, realised the same myself earlier. Also unbelievable is that Sheffield Wednesday did not go up automatically with the points they ended up with!
Not sure how many of them were goalless. Makes Mousinho’s record look good, only 2 defeats. I detest draws, probably the reason for my favourite sport being tennis.
4 defeats, surely?
10 defeats all season is the 4th best in the division. Peterborough lost 17 games and still made the play-offs. 
Thats how damaging a lot of draws can be.
Well we finished 8th this season whereas last season it was 10th so that’s progress I guess but last season we finished on 73 points and this season it was 70. So all in all we’ve pretty much stood still but there were encouraging signs in our final couple of games and the two ‘oompa loompa’s’ with Pack looks like entertaining football is returning. Lane is young and full of energy, Pigott looks like he’s turned a corner and could be worth signing full time since Ipswich don’t want him. So all in all we finished on a positive note and we only needed a draw to get the coveted 8th position in League One anyway today. Not sure why the Wycombe supporters seemed so ecstatic at the end but I’m glad they enjoyed their day out in the sun on the south coast the strange folk they are. I’m looking forward to the transfer merry go round and next season with optimism anyway
(07-05-2023, 05:37 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]Well we finished 8th this season whereas last season it was 10th so that’s progress I guess but last season we finished on 73 points and this season it was 70. So all in all we’ve pretty much stood still but there were encouraging signs in our final couple of games and the two ‘oompa loompa’s’ with Pack looks like entertaining football is returning. Lane is young and full of energy, Pigott looks like he’s turned a corner and could be worth signing full time since Ipswich don’t want him. So all in all we finished on a positive note and we only needed a draw to get the coveted 8th position in League One anyway today. Not sure why the Wycombe supporters seemed so ecstatic at the end but I’m glad they enjoyed their day out in the sun on the south coast the strange folk they are. I’m looking forward to the transfer merry go round and next season with optimism anyway
It can't have been because of their 8th-9th position play-off failure, so probably because MK Dons went down (same county) - I think they sang something about that at one point. Good day for Cambridge.
(07-05-2023, 05:57 PM)66zoolane Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-05-2023, 05:37 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]Well we finished 8th this season whereas last season it was 10th so that’s progress I guess but last season we finished on 73 points and this season it was 70. So all in all we’ve pretty much stood still but there were encouraging signs in our final couple of games and the two ‘oompa loompa’s’ with Pack looks like entertaining football is returning. Lane is young and full of energy, Pigott looks like he’s turned a corner and could be worth signing full time since Ipswich don’t want him. So all in all we finished on a positive note and we only needed a draw to get the coveted 8th position in League One anyway today. Not sure why the Wycombe supporters seemed so ecstatic at the end but I’m glad they enjoyed their day out in the sun on the south coast the strange folk they are. I’m looking forward to the transfer merry go round and next season with optimism anyway
It can't have been because of their 8th-9th position play-off failure, so probably because MK Dons went down (same county) - I think they sang something about that at one point. Good day for Cambridge.

Ah that’s what it was, that and the second goal they scored in front of their fans looked like a cracker but we all know it was because our second string goalkeeper was hopelessly out of position but anyway it was an entertaining game and I’d say we all got something near what we wanted. We got 8th, both sides fans got to witness an enjoyable match with nothing riding on it and they got the result of their local rivals going down. One team in Buckinghamshire there’s only one team in Buckinghamshire and all that lol
...and talking of local rivals going down, I think D-Day arrives tomorrow evening for the red stripey ones. Let's hope Forest don't let us down.
Safety first playing sideways, has its own rewards.
19 draws is ridiculous! Had it been 2 points for a win rather than 3 we would have finished level with Peterborough, albeit with an inferior goal difference!

Really enjoyed today's game. Paddy Lane is starting to find his form, the midfield were dominant, Bishop held the ball up brilliantly and was so close to getting on the end of some crosses and Ogilvie could have had a hat-trick!

Oh, and that noisy lot at the front of the away end who stayed after our lap of honour weren't Wycombe fans - they were a group of 150 Spanish fans who love English football (they call themselves the 'English Media'). They come over every now and then, support random clubs and found it easier to get tickets in the away end rather than in the Fratton End!

Who remembers those Algerians who visited FP once when we had a couple of Algerians playing for us (Yebda and another who's name I cannot remember) and made one hell of a racket in the South Stand?
Just remembered the name of the other Algerian.... Belhadj. Am sure he scored one of our goals away to scum when we thrashed them 4-1 in the FA Cup!
Back to the OP, we finished 28 points off the pace. Thats pretty pathetic for your 6th try at promotion. The first 8 weeks of the season aside, we never looked anything beyond average. Many of those 19 draws we could easily have lost. We rarely were ever in complete control in games

Massive, massive rebuild required
(07-05-2023, 09:59 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]Just remembered the name of the other Algerian.... Belhadj. Am sure he scored one of our goals away to scum when we thrashed them 4-1 in the FA Cup!

He did indeed.

I was led to believe that the visitors were Mexican, though what possible link to WW is beyond me!
A little digging and you are spot on P-i-D:

[Image: 124280047-wycombe-fans.jpg]
It would also explain the mush in the red and white stripes in the Milton End!

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/highwyc...ortsmouth/
(07-05-2023, 09:59 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]Just remembered the name of the other Algerian.... Belhadj. Am sure he scored one of our goals away to scum when we thrashed them 4-1 in the FA Cup!
He was brilliant!
(07-05-2023, 04:51 PM)Slagger Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure how many of them were goalless. Makes Mousinho’s record look good, only 2 defeats. I detest draws, probably the reason for my favourite sport being tennis.

Just think of it as Pompey being at ‘deuce’, quite a lot.