TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Safe-standing survey
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since my Season Ticket is at the back of the Fratton End I have been asked to take part in a survey. Here are some details of the proposals:

"Rail seating is a form of stadium seating comprising fold-down seats within high metal frames that can be used as rails by spectators standing behind without compromising safety.

The implementation of rail seating is necessary to resolve
the issue of persistent standing in certain areas of Fratton Park, which if not
resolved, could result in the safety authorities making cuts to the capacity of
the stadium.

This is a phased project over the next two seasons that would
ultimately affect 1,500 Fratton End seats that are located in rows AA-NN.

The first phase will see the introduction of rail seating in
the back five rows of the Fratton End, which is scheduled to be completed in
August 2023, subject to a licence from the safety authorities. The rest of
the work in these areas will be implemented in stages and is scheduled to be
completed in the 2024/25 season".
I've already seen criticism about introducing "safe standing" in the Fratton End.
Some are very slow to see that seats will be closed if persistent standing continues and this is the acceptable solution.
Hard to match up those who want to keep their "seat" but don't want to be in the safe standing part. Very little if any alternative seating available for them.
(10-05-2023, 07:15 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I've already seen criticism about introducing "safe standing" in the Fratton End.
Some are very slow to see that seats will be closed if persistent standing continues and this is the acceptable solution.
Hard to match up those who want to keep their "seat" but don't want to be in the safe standing part. Very little if any alternative seating available for them.

It's B.S, people have been standing up in about the last 7 rows for years.

They will never close part of the stand down!.

I for one would welcome standing seating.

Its far easier to sing when you are standing up..... Just look at the Fratton end in full voice ..... We are all stood up!.

And we need a bit more of this!.
Perhaps they should ask other Fratton End ST holders to apply for a seat swap into the safe standing section?
(10-05-2023, 07:28 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps they should ask other Fratton End ST holders to apply for a seat swap into the safe standing section?

There are 2 arrogant tw-ts about 3 rows directly in front of Westwood who stand up all game blocking the view of a elderly couple who are having to bend there neck’s trying to watch the game. They have been in the same seats since the new Fratton end opened. Hopefully the 2 tw-ts would take up the offer of moving back to rail seating.
Alas, it would not be a return to the mass terracing that my generation were weaned on.
Just look at the away following and the noise we make.... Mostly under 50s all stood up.

We need this in the Fratton End.... Not a retirement home stand.
The Fratton End was f*cking loud in the early 2000s.

A bit of success and everyone wanted to move into the Fratton End.... Losing a bit of it's spark.
I got the survey and I'm not even in the FE.
I'm old enough to remember the old set up.
Young and active in the Fratton End and North Lower, tartan blankets and flasks in the South upper. North Upper, not so sure. Cheaper in the young singing sections (exactly as at test cricket incidentally, sections labelled as such)
I loved the Fratton End but do like to sit down most of the time these days. We've sat all over the place in the last couple of years. Funnily enough sitting in the South upper near the middle, we suddenly found ourselves feeling at home!
Away at Shrewbury, I really liked their home end with standing and flags behind the front seating.
Ah shit. I am in row Z, I just miss out. Guess I will be moving back a few rows then. Up the stand up noisy blues
(10-05-2023, 09:23 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Ah shit. I am in row Z, I just miss out. Guess I will be moving back a few rows then. Up the stand up noisy blues

they are intending to move it down further, but probably can't get it all done in one close season.
(10-05-2023, 08:16 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]I got the survey and I'm not even in the FE.

Same here. I'm unaffected until they bring safe standing to the North Upper.

Did get an apologetic mail shortly afterwards though letting me know i had received in error.
(10-05-2023, 07:15 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I've already seen criticism about introducing "safe standing" in the Fratton End.

The only talk that seats might be "closed" has come from the people that want to get it done -ie the club. This isn't a survey. This is the club telling people that a big section of the FE is going to allocated to special needs standing and if you don't like it you should move or feck off. As a priority for us it's way down the list.

Funny looking at the ME end and watching the vast majority using the special needs area and actually sitting down. Those poles were definitely worth paying for!

Anyway, it's going to happen. Just stop pretending it's consultation because it's not when they've already made their decision.
(11-05-2023, 01:39 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

The only talk that seats might be "closed" has come from the people that want to get it done -ie the club. This isn't a survey. This is the club telling people that a big section of the FE is going to allocated to special needs standing and if you don't like it you should move or feck off. As a priority for us it's way down the list.

Funny looking at the ME end and watching the vast majority using the special needs area and actually sitting down. Those poles were definitely worth paying for!

Anyway, it's going to happen. Just stop pretending it's consultation because it's not when they've already made their decision.

They've had to stay seated in the milton end because those seats were only occupied as a capacity test and they were told they had to sit because the licence for standing has not been granted yet (and won't be till nearly Christmas). 

And the survey is to find out who wants to move and who wants to stay in the those back 5 rows. 

The threat of stand closure if persistent standing continues is new H&S legislation, not something made up by the club. The club have reacted to that threat, and have listened to the fans who have been campaigning for standing to be allowed. And they have reacted quite quickly because for them the priority is and must be to keep as much of the ground open as possible, and without this standing section that was under threat.
I wouldn't mind the constantly moving goalposts for H&S at stadia .....

If it wasn't for the summer music festivals having pretty much nothing in place to prevent tens of thousands of people from surging towards the stage. Victorious was close to disaster last summer but I bet there are no more preventative measures in pace then some free standing barriers cable tied together.
Logical question:why are away fans "allowed" to stand and not home supporters?
(14-05-2023, 08:07 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Logical question:why are away fans "allowed" to stand and not home supporters?

I believe the legislation states that you have to put standing in place in both ends or neither.
(14-05-2023, 09:21 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-05-2023, 08:07 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Logical question:why are away fans "allowed" to stand and not home supporters?

I believe the legislation states that you have to put standing in place in both ends or neither.

That's what I thought. However, it doesn't seem to apply in the case of Shrewsbury. They've had rail seats in the home end for a couple of seasons yet there was no sign of any in our end last month.
(15-05-2023, 08:10 AM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-05-2023, 09:21 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]

That's what I thought. However, it doesn't seem to apply in the case of Shrewsbury. They've had rail seats in the home end for a couple of seasons yet there was no sign of any in our end last month.

You're right, I sat there looking at and liking their little home end very much.