TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Chesterfield ,...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Paul Cook's  Chesterfield lose on penalties to Notts County in play off final (justice prevails seeing how many more points they had). 

Perhaps the headline should be "Cock Flops out at Wembley" Big Grin  Big Grin
to be fair its time that the national league had full promotion rather then one plus one, incredibly hard to get promoted. But glad to see the team with most points got up, not to mention how well they treated our fans at our promotion party.
Double post ne up !!
(13-05-2023, 10:55 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not convinced 3 up/down would be a good thing-the crazy idea of places 2 to 7 in a play off for one place is ridiculous though.

It should be top two - no messing.  Big Grin

I'm quite happy that Paul Cock missed out after the way he shot off to Wigwam - as the saying goes what goes around, comes around. Big Grin
I think cookie was pushed rather than ditching us. His face definitely didn't fit the Disney image.

We wish him well, just keep going.
(14-05-2023, 12:50 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]I think cookie was pushed rather than ditching us. His face definitely didn't fit the Disney image.

According to Catlin, he wanted improved terms on those that had already been agreed should he achieve promotion while waving the approach of Wigan under his nose. No loyalty to the club, just greed. Hope he stays in the non-league doldrums.
(14-05-2023, 10:15 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-05-2023, 12:50 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]I think cookie was pushed rather than ditching us. His face definitely didn't fit the Disney image.

According to Catlin, he wanted improved terms on those that had already been agreed should he achieve promotion while waving the approach of Wigan under his nose. No loyalty to the club, just greed. Hope he stays in the non-league doldrums.

Thats called leverage.
According to Catlin………
(14-05-2023, 11:15 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]

Thats called leverage.

Perhaps I'm a bit naive then. A contract is a promise and I like people who honour their word.
I’m glad Notts County went up, their supporters supported us during our dark days when we nearly went out the League.

His loyalty was to his mate Iain McInnis, with him gone he knew things would not be the same. 

And he got so much stick from the fans no-one can blame him for having no loyalty to them, especially considering everything he had achieved.   People spreading the myth that the players were 'managing themselves' when they started winning must have been the final straw. 

His other loyalty is to Chesterfield and he deserves credit for being prepared to go into non-league to help their recovery, he could easily have found employment in the league.
....and thus proving he can achieve nothing without Leam Richardson.
(14-05-2023, 02:57 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]....and thus proving he can achieve nothing without Leam Richardson.

bit harsh considering he got Chesterfield within a penalty kick of the football league.
He should have achieved it last year before the Hollywood circus arrived in the National League. He inherited a squad built by James Rowe riding high in the promotion places and succeeded in eroding their advantage to the point they missed out on the play-offs altogether. 
I guess we're not going to agree about his legacy!
incidentally, why did he get the job if they were already so good? Usually managers only get a job because the team is shite.
(14-05-2023, 09:26 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]incidentally, why did he get the job if they were already so good? Usually managers only get a job because the team is shite.

This from Wiki...

"In January 2022, club faced defending UEFA Champions League winners Chelsea in the third round of the FA Cup, who fielded a near full-strength squad, with Chesterfield managing to score a goal in a 5–1 defeat by the Premier League side.[25] Less than a month later, Rowe was suspended over allegations of misconduct. He left the club in February. He was subsequently charged with sexual assault in September 2022.[26] On 10 February 2022, the club announced that it had reappointed former manager Paul Cook for a second spell in charge of the club.[27]"
(14-05-2023, 11:33 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I’m glad Notts County went up, their supporters supported us during our dark days when we nearly went out the League.

Yes I’m really glad for them.

Proper old club, proper fans.
Oldest league club, I believe
(15-05-2023, 08:36 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Oldest league club, I believe

They are indeed.

I like their ground so hope we get to play them again sometime soon, not in Div 2 obviously  Smile .
Glad they got promoted, even happier that the scumbag cook has been found wanting again.
He had lost the dressing room at Pompey after the Crewe game and we got promoted in spite of him, due to people like Doyle.
I agree about all the positive comments about Notts County. However also have good memories of away trips to Chesterfield. Remember one game back in the 80s. Got there about 12.30 sat in their supporters club waiting to find out if the game would go ahead as there was a pitch inspection due to potentially frozen pitch. About 20 tables of old boys playing dominoes but had a good crack with some of their guys in the bar.
We have a lot in common with Chesterfield. Notably the draws/drawers… Get it?!? I’ll get my coat (if you didn’t get it we got 19 draws last season and it was a pun on words)
(18-05-2023, 03:59 AM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]We have a lot in common with Chesterfield. Notably the draws/drawers… Get it?!? I’ll get my coat (if you didn’t get it we got 19 draws last season and it was a pun on words)

Oh, I see, drawers - Chesterfield. Chesterfield being a.....sofa. 
Nah, sorry, you're going to have to explain that.
Or get your coat.
(18-05-2023, 05:05 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-05-2023, 03:59 AM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]We have a lot in common with Chesterfield. Notably the draws/drawers… Get it?!? I’ll get my coat (if you didn’t get it we got 19 draws last season and it was a pun on words)

Oh, I see, drawers - Chesterfield. Chesterfield being a.....sofa. 
Nah, sorry, you're going to have to explain that.
Or get your coat.

Oh well I fucked that one up. I thought those big old wooden draw cabinets what I was thinking of were called chesterfield drawers. It seems they were just called a chest of drawers my bad and we move on
Coat it is.