TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Hugging the Line
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(21-05-2023, 08:47 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]There was, as explained, no intention to compare the incomparable quality of Grealish and Curtis - just flagging up an example of brilliant wide play.

And, concerning CURTIS, if and when he returns this term -

It will be a final chance for him to advance his game and his career.

Yes I think Curtis can do a job for us, he just needs to decide whether he’s a winger or an attacking midfielder and concentrate on that.

I’m also concerned that Lane cuts inside far too much for my liking. He keeps getting the ball in acres of space out wide, or getting behind the back line and then squandering the advantage by cutting inside. That needs to be coached out of him pronto.
In fairness to Lane, he has always stated that is his preferred option. Fortunately, he has forged an understanding with Rafferty, who is prepared to go outside.
(20-05-2023, 07:18 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-05-2023, 09:38 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-05-2023, 06:37 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]and Callie!

He was the most accurate crosser of a ball I’ve seen in a Pompey shirt, great player. 

He used to cross from deep and rarely went to the byline, he could put the ball on a sixpence. Oh for someone with half his crossing ability.

I agree with you on both Vince and Callie
I seem to recall Vince making more crossing opportunities but needed them wheras Callie created fewer but made the most of them. 

Vince chipped in with goals in big games too, especially if the opposition fans tried winding him up.

Don’t get me wrong about Vince, he was a great lad and a great player. The one area of his game that could have done with a little work was his crossing.

It was great to have him in the Pompey team and he was a joy to watch.
(21-05-2023, 12:57 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-05-2023, 07:18 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-05-2023, 09:38 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-05-2023, 06:37 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]and Callie!

He was the most accurate crosser of a ball I’ve seen in a Pompey shirt, great player. 

He used to cross from deep and rarely went to the byline, he could put the ball on a sixpence. Oh for someone with half his crossing ability.

I agree with you on both Vince and Callie
I seem to recall Vince making more crossing opportunities but needed them wheras Callie created fewer but made the most of them. 

Vince chipped in with goals in big games too, especially if the opposition fans tried winding him up.

Don’t get me wrong about Vince, he was a great lad and a great player. The one area of his game that could have done with a little work was his crossing.

It was great to have him in the Pompey team and he was a joy to watch.

Did Vince live near Denmead at one time?
Still my favourite winger bar none. Also great seeing him on old reruns of the Big Match when he was very young indeed and still standing out for his skill and his non stop get up and go.
Surprised no-one has mentioned Darren Anderton yet

or Preki
(21-05-2023, 04:25 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Surprised no-one has mentioned Darren Anderton yet

or Preki

Very effective players but they never really excited me. 

Isn’t that what wingers are really about? I hope so because I’ll take entertaining football every time.
Dave Thomas - but probably passed his best by the time he got to us.
(21-05-2023, 04:25 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Surprised no-one has mentioned Darren Anderton yet

or Preki

Darren Anderton was off as soon as he got any good.
(21-05-2023, 06:10 PM)The Realist Wrote: [ -> ]Dave Thomas - but probably passed his best by the time he got to us.

Likewise Peter Marinello.
Alexi Smertin anyone?
(21-05-2023, 06:37 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-05-2023, 06:10 PM)The Realist Wrote: [ -> ]Dave Thomas - but probably passed his best by the time he got to us.

Likewise Peter Marinello.

Marinello was over rated.
Old "Trigger" Alan Rogers was a great crosser & traditional hug the line winger. Good player.
(21-05-2023, 08:49 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]Old "Trigger" Alan Rogers was a great crosser & traditional hug the line winger. Good player.

Couldn't agree more.
(21-05-2023, 07:17 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Alexi Smertin anyone?

He was a midfielder
Darren Anderton certainly got me excited at Highbury! Forgot to breath for a while there!
(22-05-2023, 04:23 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Darren Anderton certainly got me excited at Highbury! Forgot to breath for a while there!

First time a Scummer ever got me excited.
Lucky Scousers at Highbury ....

but recall Vince H scoring a header from a corner in front of about 60 Pompey fans, in the Leppings lane end at Sheff Wed on a horrible wet night - mid 80's .

Full Members Cup I believe - we won 1-0 but long time ago !
Pages: 1 2