TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Top Pompey Thunderbastards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What div 4 defence ?  

We had a perfectly adequate div 2 / championship defence that season .. Knight, McLaughlin, Aizlewood , Tait & Sullivan were all fine players.
(31-05-2023, 02:21 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]What div 4 defence ?  

We had a perfectly adequate div 2 / championship defence that season .. Knight, McLaughlin, Aizlewood , Tait & Sullivan were all fine players.

No we didn't. The defence got found out bigtime sadly. We leaked too many goals but scored more goals than Sheff Wed. who went up. We conceded 4 @ home 3 times that I can recall straight off my head, Oldham, Toon & Blackburn. We finished 16th. With a better defence with the firepower we had who knows what may've happened.
Thats why Bally shored it up straightaway after taking over. It was a league too far for the likes of McLaughlin, Sullivan & even Aizlewood. Taity-yes his commitment was second to none whatever league we were in & thats why Bally kept him.
(31-05-2023, 03:37 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]

No we didn't. The defence got found out bigtime sadly. We leaked too many goals but scored more goals than Sheff Wed. who went up. We conceded 4 @ home 3 times that I can recall straight off my head, Oldham, Toon & Blackburn. We finished 16th. With a better defence with the firepower we had who knows what may've happened.
Thats why Bally shored it up straightaway after taking over. It was a league too far for the likes of McLaughlin, Sullivan & even Aizlewood. Taity-yes his commitment was second to none whatever league we were in & thats why Bally kept him.

An accurate reflection of reality as I recall it.

The reason we leaked goals that season was more to do with Campbell's attacking tactics than the ability of the defenders. Which is why the team is remembered so fondly, they attacked and entertained.
(30-05-2023, 10:07 AM)Jezzer Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-05-2023, 06:23 AM)2_Kuhl Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-05-2023, 05:20 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Martin Kuhl hit the 4th against Boro at home. We all shouted 'shoot', he did and in it went from 30yards into the fratton end net

My first Pompey game at Fratton Park. I was a young VIP nipper for the day. I sat in the changing room with the players before the game, I said to Kuhly, "Do us a favour Martin." He replied, "What's that son?" "Hit us a 30 yarder today". "I'll see what I can do." Came the reply.

We were 3-0 in the first half, Whitts, Beresford and Powell, if my memory serves me right. I turned to my uncle as we sat in the South upper, "kuhly promised me a 30-yarder today!" Sure enough in the 66th minute he pulled the trigger and let fly from 30 yards with a thunderbastard into the top corner of the Fratton End net. Cue limbs as I experienced one of my favourite moments following Pompey.
Kuhl did something similar against Birmingham too. A 30 yard screamer (past Andy Gosney) to make it 4-0, although it was at the Milton End.

We cannot forget Bjorn Kristensen's rocket in the Ormondroyd offside game either.  That match being one of the reasons why I was quite happy to see Leicester go down. Not that I'm bitter...

I am bitter, I still hate the cunts now for that game. Big Grin And am chuffed to bits that they’ve been relegated.
(31-05-2023, 04:33 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

The reason we leaked goals that season was more to do with Campbell's attacking tactics than the ability of the defenders. Which is why the team is remembered so fondly, they attacked and entertained.

That and the fact we had some real quality players. Golden times.
(30-05-2023, 07:01 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]Bobby Doyle with a sumptuous half volley from outside the box v Brighton in 1984. A goal down @ ht, we ran riot 2nd half & won 5-1. Doyle got our 2nd with that strike. Got a feeling Joe Corrigan was in goal for them.

Doyle’s goal was the one that came to my mind but I don’t for the life of me remember who it was against. I do remember it being at the Fratton end and I was behind it when he wellied it. What a strike!
As regards Bobby Campbell, it did feel that some of our players, especially in defence were little too old or slow to cope. Going forward we were fantastic.
Was that the season of the Fulham debacle? It would seem about right for that team, regardless of the wind direction.

?? Was Raffs still playing that season, he was one who maybe lost his pace? actually must have been hately seeing as how we sold him to allow Ballie t build a promotion team.
(31-05-2023, 06:16 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Was that the season of the Fulham debacle?

1984/85.

Biley and Webb were up front. Biley got two and Webb one. Malcolm Waldron got the first.

Doyle, Kennedy and Dillon were in midfield.

I'd forgotten it was New Year's Day.
Waldron was an odd signing, never seemed quite good enough or beefy enough for a centre half in those days.
(31-05-2023, 05:35 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-05-2023, 07:01 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]Bobby Doyle with a sumptuous half volley from outside the box v Brighton in 1984. A goal down @ ht, we ran riot 2nd half & won 5-1. Doyle got our 2nd with that strike. Got a feeling Joe Corrigan was in goal for them.

Doyle’s goal was the one that came to my mind but I don’t for the life of me remember who it was against. I do remember it being at the Fratton end and I was behind it when he wellied it. What a strike!

Was a thing of beauty. Bobby was vastly underrated. Some of his passing was sublime & he could "dig in" when required.

You're wrong plain & simple. The defence bar Yosser was past its sell by date. Again thats why Bally said tks but no tks. They were excellent Div 3 defenders but just not up to the job in Div2, the attackers there were too powerful, too quick & too mobile for them.
(31-05-2023, 08:31 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]

You're wrong plain & simple. The defence bar Yosser was past its sell by date. Again thats why Bally said tks but no tks. They were excellent Div 3 defenders but just not up to the job in Div2, the attackers there were too powerful, too quick & too mobile for them.

I'd agree that the defence was weaker than the midfield and forwards in that team, and they were all certainly towards the end of their careers, but it was an unnecessary insult to describe what were decent  enough players as a Div 4 defence.
(31-05-2023, 09:04 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

I'd agree that the defence was weaker than the midfield and forwards in that team, and they were all certainly towards the end of their careers, but it was an unnecessary insult to describe what were decent  enough players as a Div 4 defence.

Yes I agree with that. Cheers DB.
We will score one more than you attitude was brilliant from Bally.
Truly made fratton a fortress

Aizlewood was recruited in Div 4 and Sullivan in Div 3. Tait was also Div 3, as a striker. McLaughlin was recruited in Div 2. I was living in Newcastle that season and had the pleasure of seeing them lose 4-2 at Newcastle (Tait giving away a penalty) and 2-1 at Leeds.
That Newcastle side was a test for anyone.
(31-05-2023, 10:32 PM)Santa release Claus Wrote: [ -> ]Shout out to Rodney Jack and Ronaldo for bursting the net at the Fratton End

And Thomas Hitzlsperger for Villa.
(01-06-2023, 05:08 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(31-05-2023, 03:37 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]No we didn't. The defence got found out bigtime sadly. We leaked too many goals but scored more goals than Sheff Wed. who went up. We conceded 4 @ home 3 times that I can recall straight off my head, Oldham, Toon & Blackburn. We finished 16th. With a better defence with the firepower we had who knows what may've happened.

Aizlewood was recruited in Div 4 and Sullivan in Div 3. Tait was also Div 3, as a striker. McLaughlin was recruited in Div 2. I was living in Newcastle that season and had the pleasure of seeing them lose 4-2 at Newcastle (Tait giving away a penalty) and 2-1 at Leeds.

McLaughlin was signed in Div 4 in the summer of 79. He came in with Aizelwood, Brisley, Laidlaw, Bryant, Rogers, Styles. Basically we completely renewed our midfield & defence on the back of selling Foster to Brighton.
(01-06-2023, 05:25 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-06-2023, 05:08 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(31-05-2023, 04:33 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]The reason we leaked goals that season was more to do with Campbell's attacking tactics than the ability of the defenders. Which is why the team is remembered so fondly, they attacked and entertained.

McLaughlin was signed in Div 4 in the summer of 79. He came in with Aizelwood, Brisley, Laidlaw, Bryant, Rogers, Styles. Basically we completely renewed our midfield & defence on the back of selling Foster to Brighton.

Thanks, I misinterpreted the record I was looking at. My view of it being a Div 4 defence is basically correct then. Although Alan Knight came in in Div 3, he was a youngster on the up.
Not sure the level we were at when we signed players really defines those players as being of that level for their whole career. 

Aizlewood for instance had Welsh U23 caps and I suggest if you think he wasn't good enough to play in Div 2 then you should try saying that to his face. Sullivan had 150+ div 1 appearances behind him, and Tait's best seasons were with us in Div 2 so can hardly be called a Div 4 defender.  Don't know much about McLaughlin, but he was at Swindon for several years and didn't they use to yoyo between Div 3 & Div in the 70s'.  

And they all had played a major part in our Div 3 championship season the year before, which means they were good enough to get promotion to Div 2 so could be called too good for Div 3.

Yes, they were getting old and needed replacing but that was a good side in the Hateley year, and these defenders played their part in that, and don't deserve to be called a Div 4 defence just because they were not as good as the midfield or attack. 

If we had had a div 4 defence then surely we would have gone down. The fact that we didn't says they were good enough for Div 2.
as regards that Newcastle side, their attack was far and away too good for that level.
A great game at Fratton with a brilliant atmosphere as their fans had a bit of a party.
(01-06-2023, 06:21 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure the level we were at when we signed players really defines those players as being of that level for their whole career. 

Aizlewood for instance had Welsh U23 caps and I suggest if you think he wasn't good enough to play in Div 2 then you should try saying that to his face. Sullivan had 150+ div 1 appearances behind him, and Tait's best seasons were with us in Div 2 so can hardly be called a Div 4 defender.  Don't know much about McLaughlin, but he was at Swindon for several years and didn't they use to yoyo between Div 3 & Div in the 70s'.  

And they all had played a major part in our Div 3 championship season the year before, which means they were good enough to get promotion to Div 2 so could be called too good for Div 3.

Yes, they were getting old and needed replacing but that was a good side in the Hateley year, and these defenders played their part in that, and don't deserve to be called a Div 4 defence just because they were not as good as the midfield or attack. 

If we had had a div 4 defence then surely we would have gone down. The fact that we didn't says they were good enough for Div 2.

Surely it's already been established on this thread that the strike force kept them up. If I remember rightly, they won 4-3 at Cambridge, who did go down.
(01-06-2023, 06:14 AM)2_Kuhl Wrote: [ -> ]
(31-05-2023, 10:32 PM)Santa release Claus Wrote: [ -> ]Shout out to Rodney Jack and Ronaldo for bursting the net at the Fratton End

And Thomas Hitzlsperger for Villa.
Did you know he came out as gay. Nothing against him but it’s pretty rare for male players to come out
(02-06-2023, 01:42 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-06-2023, 06:21 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure the level we were at when we signed players really defines those players as being of that level for their whole career. 

Surely it's already been established on this thread that the strike force kept them up. If I remember rightly, they won 4-3 at Cambridge, who did go down.

We were never in relegation trouble that year, we finished 16th 7 points clear of the relegation group. 

Our 'div 4' defence put us 15th= for goals conceded , 21 goals fewer conceded that Swansea who went down, and only 11 goals more than Newcastle who finished third.  They were an average div 2 defence playing behind an above average attack, but did OK. Plenty did worse.  

So I still can't see any way that calling those players a div 4 defence is not an insult to some of the best servants this club has had.
Pages: 1 2 3