TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Matt Richie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Wouldn’t it be great if Matt said “you know what I do not need the money and I would love to play for my hometown club as my career is coming to its last few years” If Pompey showed some real ambition to get out of this league I would definitely be having this conversation with Matt. What with the potential signing of Tommy Leigh, we could have 3 local lads playing in the team who certainly would not put up with complacency from the others. I know I need to give myself a shake as that sort of thing rarely happens but I can dream  Smile
I'm not sure people are made that way.
(29-05-2023, 12:32 PM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn’t it be great if Matt said “you know what I do not need the money and I would love to play for my hometown club as my career is coming to its last few years” If Pompey showed some real ambition to get out of this league I would definitely be having this conversation with Matt. What with the potential signing of Tommy Leigh, we could have 3 local lads playing in the team who certainly would not put up with complacency from the others. I know I need to give myself a shake as that sort of thing rarely happens but I can dream  Smile

Is it ambitious to sign players past their best purely coz they played for us when they were crap? For every pack, there's a potential  Lee Chapman out there too.
(29-05-2023, 03:49 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-05-2023, 12:32 PM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn’t it be great if Matt said “you know what I do not need the money and I would love to play for my hometown club as my career is coming to its last few years” If Pompey showed some real ambition to get out of this league I would definitely be having this conversation with Matt. What with the potential signing of Tommy Leigh, we could have 3 local lads playing in the team who certainly would not put up with complacency from the others. I know I need to give myself a shake as that sort of thing rarely happens but I can dream  Smile

Is it ambitious to sign players past their best purely coz they played for us when they were crap? For every pack, there's a potential  Lee Chapman out there too.

What a silly comment ... are you suggesting Ritchie is (or was) crap ? 

No-one is suggesting signing crap ex-players.

Matt Richie would rip Div 1 up he is 33 not 38. To sign him would be a big statement for Div 1 but I appreciate it would highly be unlikely.
(29-05-2023, 04:51 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

A sensible proposition would be to seduce Richie with a pathway to a coaching role for when his playing career comes to an end. He probably doesn't have the engine that he once had so would need runners around him. 

We could certainly benefit from his leadership and sharing what he's learnt from being at the top of his game.
He is only 33!
He has a premier league nutrition value and has 2 good years at league 1 level.
I agree, it would be magic to get the lad back in blue and offer him a coaching leg up.
You never know, that may be an inspired move.
And I also agree. To see three local lads in the team would be a dream come true
So let me get this right - We pay a transfer fee  for Paddy Lane a young left footer who plays on the right.  You now want us to sign a veteran left footer in Matt Ritchie who plays .........Oh right, in exactly the same position & would be on big money.

Not really a sensible use of your playing budget is it  ?
(29-05-2023, 05:38 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]So let me get this right - We pay a transfer fee  for Paddy Lane a young left footer who plays on the right.  You now want us to sign a veteran left footer in Matt Ritchie who plays .........Oh right, in exactly the same position & would be on big money.

Ritchie can play on the left too. As can Lane
(29-05-2023, 05:54 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-05-2023, 05:38 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]So let me get this right - We pay a transfer fee  for Paddy Lane a young left footer who plays on the right.  You now want us to sign a veteran left footer in Matt Ritchie who plays .........Oh right, in exactly the same position & would be on big money.

Ritchie has played most of his career on the left

And you want someone who can help the young players. Richie fits the bill, (as long as the bill isn't very big. ) if he did sign, it could be considered community service lol
(29-05-2023, 05:57 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]

And you want someone who can help the young players. Richie fits the bill, (as long as the bill isn't very big. ) if he did sign, it could be considered community service lol
Eddie Howe wants him to stay and move into coaching as he highly rates his support for the younger members of the squad. No way am I saying pay 10k a week for him what I was alluding to was it would be great if he wanted to come back and say I would be happy on 5k a week.
(29-05-2023, 06:03 PM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-05-2023, 05:57 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]

Eddie Howe wants him to stay and move into coaching as he highly rates his support for the younger members of the squad. No way am I saying pay 10k a week for him what I was alluding to was it would be great if he wanted to come back and say I would be happy on 5k a week.

You need both pace & power on the wing . At 33  Ritchie doesn't have the pace to play wide left & hasn't played that position for at least 5 years.  Paddy Lane has stated he is more comfortable wide right - round pegs in round holes etc etc.      

No way should JM/RH be even  considering blowing an above average weekly L1 wage on Ritchie, there are other positions that need much more urgent attention like a decent goalkeeper, rh ball playing centre back, goalscoring centre attacking midfielder(no 10)
(29-05-2023, 04:51 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

I didn't say he was crap now. But I admire people who think players like richie will take a 90 per cent pay cut to play two leagues lower just because he played 7 games for us over a decade ago. I doubt he's even back for a holiday! It may happen sometimes but I'd rather concentrate on not letting then go in the first place.

And l1 does suck the talent out of players - pack included.

Looking forward to signing Mount when he turns 39....
if he does want to get into coaching youngsters we might be a somewhat frustrating place to go right now
The stupid thing is when Matt Richie was a Pompey player nobody was upset when he left. Now there is a big clamour to get him back in the twilight years of his career when we have Paddy Lane who is in the sunrise years of his career in the same position as Matt Richie was when we weren’t too bothered to let him go. Call me mad but I’d call me smart, only time will tell
This is right on Silly Season chatter ...... again.
(30-05-2023, 06:25 AM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]The stupid thing is when Matt Richie was a Pompey player nobody was upset when he left. Now there is a big clamour to get him back in the twilight years of his career when we have Paddy Lane who is in the sunrise years of his career in the same position as Matt Richie was when we weren’t too bothered to let him go. Call me mad but I’d call me smart, only time will tell

There was actually quite a lot of people pissed of when the farm hand gave Ritchie away. It was quite well known he was one of our break through nippers. I’ve never forgiven Cotterill for that.
(30-05-2023, 06:25 AM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]The stupid thing is when Matt Richie was a Pompey player nobody was upset when he left. Now there is a big clamour to get him back in the twilight years of his career when we have Paddy Lane who is in the sunrise years of his career in the same position as Matt Richie was when we weren’t too bothered to let him go. Call me mad but I’d call me smart, only time will tell

Not so.  A lot of people were very upset when Cotterill let Pack & Ritchie go , in fact I would go so far as to say it was the moment he lost the support of the fans which in turn contributed to him looking for jobs elsewhere. 

It's mad to think he would come back here on League 1 wages, but not mad to want it to happen.  It would not even be a point of discussion if he had not stated his wish to play for the club again before he retires.
If he was on minimal wage’s maybe up to packs wage I’d be fine with him coming in. Imagine the experience he could pass on to paddy lane and other younger players. Probably sort out his coaching badges as well
(30-05-2023, 09:40 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Not so.  A lot of people were very upset when Cotterill let Pack & Ritchie go , in fact I would go so far as to say it was the moment he lost the support of the fans which in turn contributed to him looking for jobs elsewhere. 

It's mad to think he would come back here on League 1 wages, but not mad to want it to happen.  It would not even be a point of discussion if he had not stated his wish to play for the club again before he retires.

I remember when things turned toxic for Steve Cotterill. I think we were getting beat badly by Forest at home and bound for relegation. Whether or not it was or wasn’t Forest we were getting beat again and the song started up ‘Your taxi’s outside, YOUR TAXI’S OUTSIDE!!! STEVIE COTTERILL YOUR TAXI’S OUTSIDE’. He was sacked in the morning. Not that I wish him any ill will but just like Cowley and Jackett it was time to part ways
Mount and Richie would be awesome business and great to have back at the club.
Mount plays for Chelsea and England. I can’t see why you would even mention him as a possibility Pompey G
He’s pulling someone’s plonker
(30-05-2023, 02:15 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-05-2023, 09:40 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

I remember when things turned toxic for Steve Cotterill. I think we were getting beat badly by Forest at home and bound for relegation. Whether or not it was or wasn’t Forest we were getting beat again and the song started up ‘Your taxi’s outside, YOUR TAXI’S OUTSIDE!!! STEVIE COTTERILL YOUR TAXI’S OUTSIDE’. He was sacked in the morning. Not that I wish him any ill will but just like Cowley and Jackett it was time to part ways

Things had turned toxic against him , but he wasn't sacked.  Forest came in for him and he was given permisssion to talk to them.   

And no-one is 'bound for relegation' in October, we did go down but only because of the ten point deduction in Februrary.
I do think Ritchie could be a possible, however maybe only for a season as I believe Newcastle want him to become a coach up there.
Pages: 1 2