TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Whatmough & Naylor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What's the chance of them coming back?
Would like to see jack back.  Smile
Jack Id like back
I remember not being bothered by Naylor leaving but we haven't really replaced him with a like for like player who is better. 

Lots of crocks and angry midgets.
I’d like D’Shon Bernard back full time but if not Jack would be good too
(30-05-2023, 11:26 AM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]What's the chance of them coming back?
Would like to see jack back.  Smile

Upset as I was when he decided to go I'm not sure I could take the stress of worrying about a career-ending injury every time he went in for a tackle.  It would be just our luck for him to break down again playing for us again after a relatively injury free time at Wigan.
Move on. Many other players out there.
He did have a full season for us before we let him go.
The person who decided to dump Jack and thought Robertson, Downing, Ragget are adequate footballers needs a public flogging. Biggest idiot in the PO postcode.
(30-05-2023, 05:00 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]The person who decided to dump Jack and thought Robertson, Downing, Ragget are adequate footballers needs a public flogging. Biggest idiot in the PO postcode.

Well I tend to agree but can’t agree that Raggett is not an ‘adequate footballer ffs.

He has been a really good servant to the club and is a good centre half at this level. We play in League 1 ffs, what do you expect?
Raggett is a very decent defender if asked to be a defender. If asked to play like Beckenbaur you make him look stupid. We ended up with more than one of our most loyal players being reduced by a manager who did not understand that square pegs go best in square holes, especially at this level. He also seemed to rate players by their wages rather than their on field performance.
(30-05-2023, 06:45 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-05-2023, 05:00 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]The person who decided to dump Jack and thought Robertson, Downing, Ragget are adequate footballers needs a public flogging. Biggest idiot in the PO postcode.

Well I tend to agree but can’t agree that Raggett is not an ‘adequate footballer ffs.

He has been a really good servant to the club and is a good centre half at this level. We play in League 1 ffs, what do you expect?

I appreciate Rags is good at heading and kicking but that's about it. Wheb you're letting go of Whatmough who can do both of those things in addition to passing and dribbling, you realise we have downgraded the squad, not improved it. 

Rags is not an aequate footballer in terms of competing at the top of the league. Yes he is adequate if you want to finish 7th-12th in L1.
(30-05-2023, 08:52 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-05-2023, 06:45 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]

I appreciate Rags is good at heading and kicking but that's about it. When you're letting go of Whatmough who can do both of those things in addition to passing and dribbling, you realise we have downgraded the squad, not improved it. 

Rags is not an aequate footballer in terms of competing at the top of the league. Yes he is adequate if you want to finish 7th-12th in L1. Nothing against the guy and I agree he has been a good servant to the club. But he just isn't good enough for a starting spot in a promotion team.
but he does have the attribute of always being fit to be selected.
Our biggest issue last season was bringing in a bunch of players that were injured ore than they were fit.
Jack was a really good player but was a risk injury wise, so we offered him a short contract, someone else took a risk offered him money that they actually cannot afford to pay as it turns out.
(30-05-2023, 09:18 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]but he does have the attribute of always being fit to be selected.
Our biggest issue last season was bringing in a bunch of players that were injured ore than they were fit.
Jack was a really good player but was a risk injury wise, so we offered him a short contract, someone else took a risk offered him money that they actually cannot afford to pay as it turns out.

Was fit enough for 39 games this season, in the Championship.

50 games in 21/22 season.

Think he’s proved he’s fit enough.
(30-05-2023, 09:18 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]but he does have the attribute of always being fit to be selected.

Part of the deal we offered him was based on appeareances so I wonder who'd be looking silly now based on the fact he's played eighty odd games for Wigan since he left us. Even if Wigan only pay him every three or four weeks he'd still be getting more than he would back here, that's for sure. It sounds as if Wigan need to unload and if they do they're going to want a couple of million for him and my guess is that there'll be a whole host of clubs in the Championship more than happy to take him on. We wouldn't get a sniff because we won't pay the money.
(30-05-2023, 10:59 PM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]

Part of the deal we offered him was based on appeareances so I wonder who'd be looking silly now based on the fact he's played eighty odd games for Wigan since he left us. Even if Wigan only pay him every three or four weeks he'd still be getting more than he would back here, that's for sure. It sounds as if Wigan need to unload and if they do they're going to want a couple of million for him and my guess is that there'll be a whole host of clubs in the Championship more than happy to take him on. We wouldn't get a sniff because we won't pay the money.

And shouldn’t pay the money.
(30-05-2023, 10:59 PM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]

Wigan offered him the same money we did so he isn't getting any more than he would back here . He only chose them because they offered a longer more secure contract. They took a risk on his injury when we were more cautious.

If we had taken the same risk then can you imagine the criticism that would have followed if he had got injured? It would make the criticism suffered for signing the injury prone Robertson pale into insignificance.
Do we think these players could improve us and get us promoted?
(31-05-2023, 09:58 AM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Do we think these players could improve us and get us promoted?

Neither are Championship standard IMO so it depends on the level of our ambition.
(31-05-2023, 11:11 AM)The Realist Wrote: [ -> ]
(31-05-2023, 09:58 AM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Do we think these players could improve us and get us promoted?

Neither are Championship standard IMO so it depends on the level of our ambition.

We aren’t playing in the Championship.
(31-05-2023, 11:26 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

And won't do if we sign players who are only League 1 level.
(31-05-2023, 11:42 AM)The Realist Wrote: [ -> ]
(31-05-2023, 11:26 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

And won't do if we sign players who are only League 1 level.

When we get to the championship we can sign championship players.

Why would championship level players play in L1 on L1 wages?
Because they might not be getting enough games with their current championship clubs?
(01-06-2023, 04:38 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Because they might not be getting enough games with their current championship clubs?

They probably aren’t championship quality then I’d suggest.
We've signed several players from the championship in recent years like Freeman, Tunnicliffe, Pack, Morrell, Robertson, Thompson etc , but that hasn't proven the key to getting out of this league. 

Players on the way up with the potential of being good championship players are probably a better buy than those that have been there already.
Pages: 1 2