TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Hughes track record?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
He has proved to get good young players in at previous clubs.
Those clubs have not with all due respect looked beyond league 1 as their high or average place.
Pompey ARE  a championship side. To get to our natural place we are going to need players that can get us there.
I believe this is going to be a new way of doing things for us.
Underwhelming? Maybe but let's see if it actually can work.
Over 10000 season tickets sold again shows the fans ambitions. Let's hope the team matches our aspirations.
We ARE actually a L1 side hoping to be a Championship side. We haven’t been a Championship side for nearly a decade.
Supporters will always buy season tickets. We always live in hope that this will be our season.
(14-06-2023, 05:13 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]He has proved to get good young players in at previous clubs.
Those clubs have not with all due respect looked beyond league 1 as their high or average place.
Pompey ARE  a championship side. To get to our natural place we are going to need players that can get us there.
Over 10000 season tickets sold again shows the fans ambitions. Let's hope the team matches our aspirations.

We’re a League 1 club.
Weirdly, we were once a league 2, championship and premier league side.
Our natural level is a championship side. Derby is another languishing here.
The fact we are underachieving is just that, a fact.
A little discourse wouldn't be bad. If you've got nothing to add, please, do that, add nothing!
Pedantic is fecking boring
We've tried signing championship players like Freeman, Robertson, Tunnicliffe, Dale, Griffiths,etc and only Pack, Morrell & Rafferty could be called successes, but even then we have not proved good enough to go up. 

Trying something different is what was needed, and Hughes has a record of achieving the right formula for success at every level he has operated at, so lets give him a chance at this level. 

Still not impressed with Saydee though !
It looks like we are signing players to build a squad. Rather then names
Agreed, it is a different approach totally for us.
I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing what they produce.
(14-06-2023, 06:22 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Weirdly, we were once a league 2, championship and premier league side.
Our natural level is a championship side. Derby is another languishing here.
The fact we are underachieving is just that, a fact.
A little discourse wouldn't be bad. If you've got nothing to add, please, do that, add nothing!
Pedantic is fecking boring

Not being pedantic but don’t understand the point you’re trying to make. We are a L1 club, it’s been a long time since we’ve been in the Champ.

Hughes hasn’t recruited for a L1 our size because he hasn’t worked for one. Everyone starts somewhere, he’s well respected and is being backed.

His track record for us as a L1 club has been very good so far.
Fine. You don't understand!
(14-06-2023, 05:13 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]He has proved to get good young players in at previous clubs.

Couldn't agree more and he's working at a much higher lever with far higher expectations.
His only tangible success to date is buiding a squad for an extremey talented manage with the full backing of the Chairman for a non-league club to get them into Division Two.
The last window was partially successful inasmuch as they brought in a talented young player who was the club PotS in 21/22 but went off the boil last season and a central defender who was playing for a League Two side who looks competent but did get run ragged bt Ellis Harrison in one game.

We'll know a lot more going into the second window in December.
Anyone know what Hughes track record is on acquiring decent known talent?

Does he need to have one?
Check the guy’s track record. Great Fall song (Big new Prinz)
(14-06-2023, 10:32 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Fine. You don't understand!

I don’t think you know what you’re waffling about either.
I've been watching football at fratton regularly (every season) since 1979 after watching my first game as a 4 year old in 72 against Hull.
I've seen the good the bad and the ugly at fratton.
Personally played for local clubs and at every level in the RN upto and including the full Plymouth command side.
I know what I'm about when it comes to football.
The fact you said you 'didn't understand' was fine. To then qualify it with a throwaway insult says more about you than me.
You have a 'nice day'!
(15-06-2023, 07:50 AM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]I've been watching football at fratton regularly (every season) since 1979 after watching my first game as a 4 year old in 72 against Hull.
I've seen the good the bad and the ugly at fratton.
Personally played for local clubs and at every level in the RN upto and including the full Plymouth command side.
I know what I'm about when it comes to football.
The fact you said you 'didn't understand' was fine. To then qualify it with a throwaway insult says more about you than me.
You have a 'nice day'!

That’s a wonderful story, thank you for sharing.  I would have thought all that experience you would know what league we’re in.

There was no insult.

Hughes moved to a bigger club just the same as players do based on what they’ve achieved.
Looks like you're at it again g100 trying to make others look stupid on here.

What The Yak is trying to say is that we have the Infrastrucure for being a Championship side & that should be our real level.

We know we're currently a Div 1 side & don't need this pointing out thanks.

I'm not sure if you do it deliberately just to get a response or just being totally boring.

I suggest we all move on & let everyone contribute to the forum.
(15-06-2023, 03:04 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like you're at it again g100 trying to make others look stupid on here.

What The Yak is trying to say is that we have the Infrastrucure for being a Championship side & that should be our real level.

We know we're currently a Div 1 side & don't need this pointing out thanks.

I'm not sure if you do it deliberately just to get a response or just being totally boring.

I suggest we all move on & let everyone contribute to the forum.

I don’t even try with you Mikey, you do a wonderful job all by yourself.

Not sure why you’re now his spokesman on this subject, I assume you’ve inserted yourself deliberately just to get a response, very boring.

I love you contributing to the forum, would be boring if we didn’t get your radio commentary based scouting and performance posts, I always value your insightful opinions.

We haven’t been in the championship for a long time, we’re now an established top half L1 side. Hopefully that changes soon.