TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Current squad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Marquis!!!!!!
No excuses from the management team then. They've said they're getting in their first choices. It's all going according to plan thus far. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65953955
Exactly Hammie - I'll say it again we need a TEAM not Ego - carriers !
(23-06-2023, 01:37 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]No excuses from the management team then. They've said they're getting in their first choices. It's all going according to plan thus far. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65953955

What he actually said is is they haven't missed out on MANY of their first choices ... not quite how you have interpreted it.
So they have missed out on some?
Hope we don’t miss out on Leigh as it’s now reported PNE are interested.
(23-06-2023, 11:43 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]So they have missed out on some?
Hope we don’t miss out on Leigh as it’s now reported PNE are interested.

I cannot see Pompey being drawn into a bidding war. If PNE are genuinely interested, then Leigh is Northward bound I'm afraid. There is no way we can compete wages wise and of course a higher standard of football. No doubt Hughes and Mousse are now looking at alternative targets.
Bernard will be the big disappointment if we don't sign him.
Too good for league 1 but would really kick on if he did come and pompey got promoted.
It's a risk and the money will be less but the alternative is to try and shine in a struggling championship side.
If pompey really wanted Leigh, would they not of made a move by now? We've had plenty of time and other signings suggest we have not been hanging around.
Hopefully Whyte is another player coming here. We have time to get a couple of decent players in before we look at the loan market.
As much as none of us really like the loan market, Plymouth showed how it could be manipulated properly but even they got hummed over the lad from Swansea.
I suspect Macey, Bernard & Leigh will be the first choices that we miss out on. 

Leigh possibly the one we might get if he wants to come home.
I relate the loan market to Christmas Sales in Clothes shops.

A few genuinely good acquisitions, BUT a lot of questionable stock wheeled out for the seasonal event !
(22-06-2023, 08:43 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]one big signing for a half a million or even a million.
Guaranteed to get you promoted every time
Or not.

I remember when we paid a million for Rory Allen
If Leigh doesn't come here, I'm pointing fingers at him, no one else. It's clear something is finally happening here and the opportunity to come and play in these circumstances for us won't come around again. Does he want it?
(23-06-2023, 12:39 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]
(22-06-2023, 08:43 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]one big signing for a half a million or even a million.
Or not.

I remember him scoring on his debut at home to Sheffield Utd. We thought he was the Messiah, turns out he was just a very naughty boy.
(23-06-2023, 12:26 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]I  relate the loan market to Christmas Sales in Clothes shops.

A few genuinely good acquisitions, BUT a lot of questionable stock wheeled out for the seasonal event !
And usually nothing you really need anyway.
(23-06-2023, 01:05 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-06-2023, 12:26 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]I  relate the loan market to Christmas Sales in Clothes shops.

And usually nothing you really need anyway.

A friend worked in Clanks for a student job. Every sale time, a container of sales crap arrived ready for the mugs to get a bargain.
(23-06-2023, 12:52 PM)2_Kuhl Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-06-2023, 12:39 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]
Or not.

I remember him scoring on his debut at home to Sheffield Utd. We thought he was the Messiah, turns out he was just a very naughty boy.

even that has faded from my memory. 
Looked good
but turned out to be as much use as Scot Macgarbage.
(22-06-2023, 06:19 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Ask Whittingham who crosses better

Yeh he would know, signed a right couple of duffers at full back, Painter & Moutaoukili (or something similar).  Neither could run let alone cross.
(23-06-2023, 07:45 PM)The Realist Wrote: [ -> ]
(22-06-2023, 06:19 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Ask Whittingham who crosses better

Yeh he would know, signed a right couple of duffers at full back, Painter & Moutaoukili (or something similar).  Neither could run let alone cross.

to be fair
he had a few weeks to sign an entire squad with no money
not exactly the same thing at all
(22-06-2023, 08:34 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(22-06-2023, 03:40 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Totally Underwhelmed so far by all the new signings.

Hopefully, there will be a Marquee signing of some sort maybe a No. 10 which we need badly.

Need another decent striker to play alongside Colby as Saydee only looks back up quality.

At least we've got in early doors to sign 6 players & hopefully a couple will turn out to be decent.

All eyes now on the other 4 with 2 of those possible loans which need to be good quality.

And Plymouths top signing was……???

They got in some Good Loans.
I will be amazed if we finish in the top 6 with this team.

Apart from the Scully signing.... We have signed bang average league one players. And people have creamed themselves about us signing them early.

We should have re-signed MacGillivray, if we were not going to push the boat out for Macey.
I’d be surprised if we had no loans at all.
(25-06-2023, 06:31 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]I will be amazed if we finish in the top 6 with this team.

Apart from the Scully signing.... We have signed bang average league one players. And people have creamed themselves about us signing them early.

We should have re-signed MacGillivray, if we were not going to push the boat out for Macey.

He’s gone to MK in L2, probably tells you why we didn’t resign him.
MacGillivray did enough week in week out for us, to have been regarded as arguably our best keeper since David James . He nearly single-handedly got a point for Burton at Fratton Park last season.

And if you give me the choice between him and Norris.... I know who I would have gone for.

And he has joined MK Dons, a team who will definitely be challenging for the league two title this season.
If he has improved his flapping then he would be a decent bet.
Sadly, most modern keepers seem equally likely to push a shot or cross back into the danger area rather than up and over or around the corner.
(26-06-2023, 06:38 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]MacGillivray did enough week in week out for us, to have been regarded as arguably our best keeper since David James . He nearly single-handedly  got a point for Burton at Fratton Park last season.

And if you give me the choice between him and Norris.... I know who I would have gone for.

And he has joined MK Dons, a team who will definitely be challenging for the league two title this season.

Kanu was fucking brilliant too but surely you wouldn’t suggest signing him too?

He’s gone to Div 2 for a reason.
It's beginning to look a bit like 'same old same old' to me.
On the plus side they've done some early business but if these players were first choices there is a frightening lack of ambition in my view. Other than the keeper they all look like squad players to me filling holes left by a dozen or so departures and I don't see any going straight into a starting eleven other than possibly Scully and maybe Shaughnessy.
At least we're consistent by bringing two players who were out injured for the best part of last season. That doesn't necessarily make them injury prone but there must be an inherent risk.
The Irish kid is a huge gamble but lets hope this one comes off; it'd be nice. 
As they say rumours are rumours but the pattern/response to these rumours is very predictable inasmuch as there is some qualified interest then other clubs join in the hunt and we immediately drop out.
Apparently Bernard wants 'to consider his options'...well we should know from experience what that is likely to mean and there is reported interested from a Championship club in the Portsmouth born Accrington kid and we know how that type of scenario normally works out with us being outbid and/or better wages. Whyte? Well who knows but last season he didn't exactly tear up any trees with a very poor Cardiff side.
Still time is on our side but I think we desperately need a no.10, two strikers and another keeper. I feel Jon Harley will need to come up with at least two half decent loan signings from Chelsea.
Question is when are we going to se evidence of the increased playing budget promised by Eisner because my guess is that the business done so far should have cost us next to bugger all.
Pages: 1 2 3