TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Training Ground Pre Season Footage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I love seeing this stuff. Changes in pre-season fitness and warm up routines are always interesting to me as a fitness geek. So good to see the static stretching of yesteryear replaced by good dynamic routines. Did note a couple of players still doing the utterly pointless grab of the foot, raising to the backside static quad strech - bad habits died hard.

They seemed to recover well from the "long" runs (our perspectives differ on the term.long run) which indicates they've been mindful to maintain levels over the break.

Footballers (with a few exceptions) still can't run distance properly though. They can sprint, make darting runs, accelerate, which of course is exactly what's needed, but their form on a 5K is generally awful,no wonder they're knackered at the end of it, all the speed but extremely inefficient.

Few sessions with Shane Benzie would help sort that out.

For those bemoaning the running up and down Portsdown Hill - far more effective to do deadlifts, calf raises and core work such as weighted lunges to build that area of strength as this actively targets the correct muscles you're trying to strengthen. Do hill work wrong and you increase the risk of calf injury. The weights and core work can continue throughout the season and helps with injury prevention. Hill reps are only useful in the early stages.
Thanks Mr Motivator.
I'd be worried if they were training to run distances 'properly'.  The game of football is all about short running.
TLDR Teef wants you to know he looks after himself. Well done Teef.
Yes, I know. (Rolls eyes). Probably why I mentioned it

However even footballers could benefit from learning how to use the free elastic energy available from our fascia, even at short distances.

Be interested to hear what you and Mr. Wanchor think about that?
I’m pretty confident the sports science guys at Pompey will have it under control.
They didn't last year
(01-07-2023, 02:59 PM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]They didn't last year

Why didn’t they? Fitness wasn’t a problem, injuries were.
Take your time with that one
From another point of view, I remember how badly footballers did in Superstars. Almost as bad as James Hunt, who spent his life driving fast cars and fast women.
Mind you Keegan pushed himself so hard he fell off the bike. Can't imagine today's overpaid lovies giving their all for no reward really.
It's great that we have most of the side in training with each other and learning each others game before the preseason matches. It could go a long way towards a successful season.