TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Gavin Whyte
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gavin Whyte signed on a 3yr deal.
Although not unexpected, I’m slightly surprised as he’s 27 and doesn’t fit the “sign ‘em young and and flog for a profit” ideal the club supposedly has. Still with another International on the books we’ll be seeing a lot more midweek football.
(01-07-2023, 06:18 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Although not unexpected, I’m slightly surprised as he’s 27 and doesn’t fit the “sign ‘em young and and flog for a profit” ideal the club supposedly has. Still with another International on the books we’ll be seeing a lot more midweek football.

Hi scullery and lane sort out the 3 behind bishop quite nicely
(01-07-2023, 06:18 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Although not unexpected, I’m slightly surprised as he’s 27 and doesn’t fit the “sign ‘em young and and flog for a profit” ideal the club supposedly has. Still with another International on the books we’ll be seeing a lot more midweek football.

They never said that’s all we would sign! They said there would be experience too.
(01-07-2023, 06:11 PM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]Gavin Whyte signed on a 3yr deal.

So our best two signings this summer (on paper) both play in the same position ?

They said quite clearly that that would not be the only signing strategy this summer.
(01-07-2023, 06:31 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

So our best two signings this summer (on paper) both play in the same position ?

Scully has been given the #10 shirt. I see him playing behind Bishop. Whyte and Lane on the wings.
(01-07-2023, 06:32 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

They said quite clearly that that would not be the only signing strategy this summer.

There has to be something to moan about though.
Where have I moaned ? I just stated it didn’t quite fit in with our supposed policy .Im also aware we need experience which we have plenty of ( Pack, Stevenson, Shaughnessy etc). I’m sure you and DB realise ( just like I do) that we’re not going to field a team of 19-21 yr olds.
To me we are signing a well balanced squad to face a very very long season. We were great last season until injuries hit, a bit more depth is a great thing
(01-07-2023, 06:40 PM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-07-2023, 06:31 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Scully has been given the #10 shirt. I see him playing behind Bishop. Whyte and Lane on the wings.

I don’t think shirt numbers mean much nowadays. I’ve never seen Scully play but I believe he’s more a winger than a number 10 although I’m not sure if he’s left or right wing . However, I would imagine that Scully and Whyte would be our first choice wide players with a number 10 yet to be signed.
Not Lane on the wing?
I think he’ll be on the bench but then again I’m only guessing, but we’re in a good position to have 3 decent wide players.
Thank fuck Owen Dale has gone
(01-07-2023, 07:59 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Where have I moaned ? I just stated it didn’t quite fit in with our supposed policy .Im also aware we need experience which we have plenty of ( Pack, Stevenson, Shaughnessy etc). I’m sure you and DB realise ( just like I do) that we’re not going to field a team of 19-21 yr olds.

What do you mean by ‘supposed’ policy?

It fits perfectly with what the club have been saying.  They have never said it would only be players with potential so why are you surprised?
Actually, and I'm not the best fan of PG100, he's right.
Always something to moan about.
We just signed a player any side in league 1 would want.
With a starting front four of Bishop, Whyte, scully and Lane as 10, for me, it's the best in the league attacking and tracking wise.
I'm very happy with that, very happy.
Well done pompey!
(01-07-2023, 10:16 PM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]Thank fuck Owen Dale has gone

Now there is something to make us all happy!
Fingers crossed that at least one of our wingers has Dales talent with the ball AND can do something productive with it.

I don’t remember so wishing a player could succeed and being so disappointed.
Three separate threads for the same bloke. He must be the new ‘Gary Roberts’ or something
(01-07-2023, 11:06 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, and I'm not the best fan of PG100, he's right.
Always something to moan about.
We just signed a player any side in league 1 would want.
With a starting front four of Bishop, Whyte, scully and Lane as 10, for me, it's the best in the league attacking and tracking wise.
I'm very happy with that, very happy.
Well done pompey!

The trouble with that is I think Lane is the only one who can play on the right.  I think he will still sign a 10, whether it's Tommy Leigh or someone else.  But if its between those three Scully might be the bet bet as he has more goals in him.
First of , I’m not saying Whyte is not a good signing, nor am I complaining, with the exceptions of Sparkes I think we needed someone in all those positions. Yes I’m aware we need experience ( and that is also) part of the clubs policy. However,if we’re talking about potential ( ie improve and sell at a profit - which is also our policy),then only a few of our new signings are in that category.
As regarding Whyte I’ve seen him play quite a few times ( for NI and as a nipper at Crusaders). I believe what we’ve got now in Whyte is the finished article. He never really pushed on at Cardiff or established himself consistently at NI level. I’m hoping by dropping down to L1 that he will have a great couple of seasons for us ( definitely an improvement on Dale).

The many thousands of NI supporters will be more than happy if Lane, Whyte and Devlin have a successful Pompey career.
(02-07-2023, 08:40 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]First of , I’m not saying Whyte is not a good signing, nor am I complaining, with the exceptions of Sparkes I think we needed someone in all those positions. Yes I’m aware we need experience ( and that is also) part of the clubs policy. However,if we’re talking about potential ( ie improve and sell at a profit - which is also our policy),then only a few of our new signings are in that category.
As regarding Whyte I’ve seen him play quite a few times ( for NI and as a nipper at Crusaders). I believe what we’ve got now in Whyte is the finished article. He never really pushed on at Cardiff or established himself consistently at NI level. I’m hoping by dropping down to L1 that he will have a great couple of seasons for us ( definitely an improvement on Dale).

The many thousands of NI supporters will be more than happy if Lane, Whyte and Devlin have a successful Pompey career.

I don’t know how else to explain the recruitment policy to you. It’s not all about potential and future profit and it’s not all about experience. There’s half of those signed where there is a good potential for future profit.
(02-07-2023, 09:17 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-07-2023, 08:40 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]First of , I’m not saying Whyte is not a good signing, nor am I complaining, with the exceptions of Sparkes I think we needed someone in all those positions. Yes I’m aware we need experience ( and that is also) part of the clubs policy. However,if we’re talking about potential ( ie improve and sell at a profit - which is also our policy),then only a few of our new signings are in that category.

I don’t know how else to explain the recruitment policy to you. It’s not all about potential and future profit and it’s not all about experience. There’s half of those signed where there is a good potential for future profit.

Have you read what I've written??? I've just quoted that in my last post. Potential to improve & sell mixed with experience.