TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Squad size
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How big are we going? Eight in only one out so far.
(02-07-2023, 04:23 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]How big are we going? Eight in only one out so far.

We've lost the 5 loan players (Macey, Bernard, Pigott, Dale & Scarlett) plus Thompson & Tunnicliffe and we can assume Hume is going as we have signed Sparkes. 

Replaced by the new nine signings.
Yes, but our squad of Pompey players is bigger ( that we actually own). I realise another couple might go.
I reckon 2 more signings and maybe 2 loans.
and mingi
He’s still here, isn’t he?
I think he’s no longer officially ours as off 01/07/23
How does the training compensation fee (or whatever it’s called) work? Does that roll on regardless of whether the player is still contracted to the club, or not? I would expect it not to but I’d never heard of it until Mingi’s case.
Including Loans and Reid, we're 14 out, 9 in.
Out -
Matt Macey, Kieron Freeman, Di'Shon Bernard, Clark Robertson, Louis Thompson, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Jay Mingi, Owen Dale, Jayden Reid, Michael Jacobs, Reeco Hackett, Ronan Curtis, Dane Scarlett, Joe Pigott.
In -
Will Norris, Conor Shaughessy, Jack Sparkes, Terry Devlin, Ben Stevenson, Anthony Scully, Gavin Whyte, Christian Saydee, Kusini Yengi.
The difference between this season and the last few is that most of the outs were not from the regular starting 11, so we've retained most the core of the side and built around it.
Only 6 contracts expiring at the end of this season as well. 3 of those with club options for another year.
So far we’ve got 26 first team squad players on the books, that number includes Dockerill, Mnonga, Vincent, Jewitt-White and Steward. Not sure if these will feature much or be loaned out, the same could be said for Oluwayemi, although JM has spoken about Vincent, Mnonga and Jewitt-White having a chance to ‘step up’.
Not sure what the average first team squad in L1 is but I would guess it must be around 27/28.
A bare minimum of 22 players can get you by but you need to rely on a lot of luck with injuries and have a lot of versatility. In my opinion, 25 senior players is ideal; not including any youth players unless you classify them as good enough to step into the squad at any time.
We have 21 senior players on the books, with 3 of the youth potentially being good enough to form a part of the squad this year, getting us up to 24 including Hume. Once Hume leaves, we need to fill a minimum of 2-5 spots (depending on the youth), plus a keeper if Oluwayemi goes out on loan.
I generally don't classify youth players as part of the squad unless they are regulars or recent transfers. If Vincent, Mnoga, and Jewitt-White take their chance in preseason like Mingi did last season, then the squad is in pretty good shape numbers wise.
I am interested to see how our youth come on this season. Free signings, in effect.

I like Mnogas aggression but I fear he hasn’t got an off button. A Morrell on Stella snakebites, if you will.
What’s happened with Curtis? Has he gone?
Curtis is no longer part of pfc since July 1st, the same as Mingi.However, Curtis is staying at FP as part of a rehabilitation agreement until he regains fitness , apparently September.
Rehab his injury but turned down pompey contract to wait and get a better one with us hopefully when he proves fitness. Or he will be free to go where he wants
(03-07-2023, 03:21 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Rehab his injury but turned down pompey contract to wait and get a better one with us hopefully when he proves fitness. Or he will be free to go where he wants

With Scully and Whyte competing for his best position I can't see him staying when he gets himself fit.
(03-07-2023, 03:02 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I am interested to see how our youth come on this season. Free signings, in effect.

I like Mnogas aggression but I fear he hasn’t got an off button.  A Morrell on Stella snakebites, if you will.
Snake bite,now there's a drink......
Snake bite is a tool and task, not a beverage. Fucking vile (great memories)