TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: How is our spending/signing perceived?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have taken to reading on other sites what our new signings are about.
We have to because we have hardly heard of any of them.
To a few here, that is a worry.
If they are not household then how good actually are they?
We seem to be signing young, injury free players who have either refused new contracts at their previous clubs or indeed, not been offered follow up contracts to retain them. For me the latter is interesting and at the start, somewhat worrying.
Sparkes for instance was not offered a new contract by Exeter. The truth is he said he would not sign a new contract last season and would look elsewhere. The Exeter fans berate him for a lack of pace but do admit, further forward he can be covered for that and has a sweet left foot delivery and great shot on him. Can we assume he is being groomed for that position rather than LB?
Other players all seem to come in for some great backing albeit they are not quite good enough. RH has hopefully pulled a blinder for us. 
We have genuinely signed two of the potentially best wingers in the league in Scully and Whyte. Their supply and goals will be key this season.
Fundamentally other fan bases have been giving us 'threadtime' because of the number of signings we are making. Lots of them, and I hope this continues, seem to think these are all new 1st teamers and are not that impressed. The likes of Oxford, Lincoln, Derby, Bolton and Blackpool have all said so. What it seems they are all missing is the players we already have, Pack, Morrell and the 20 plus goal a year Bishop. A player type they are ALL looking for. I'm sure some of these new players will make the 1st team but alot are future based. I think we may surprise a few people this season. Certainly I'm far happier this close season than I have been over the last few.
I'm in no doubt this new idea of buying talent isn't without risk but the first team is beginning to look alot more dangerous (on paper anyways).
We have offloaded players that we did not want, pretty much anyway.
The squad we had who played a lot of games were good enough for top six barring the mid season slump when some of our key performers were out injured.
The defence is good enough for play offs, if the goal keeper matches Macey or even Griffiths to be fair to him.
The core midfield is good enough if fit.
The wide players were the problem and the new signings look to be a step up.
Unless we get a bonkers bid, Bishop is staying and is one of the top strikers in the division, hopefully now with some better bench back up although actually we did have a pretty good back up striker when he came off the bench.
Agreed, Piggott actually was unlucky here.
(02-07-2023, 07:16 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed, Piggott actually was unlucky here.

if one of our rivals signs Piggott they will get a decent player for this level. 
Mind you mouse pretty much said that he would love him back, so you never know... 

He seemed the best striker we've had for years at setting up others and could finish as well, with his head too which is handy if you have better wingers....
I’m very happy and especially so with how it has been handled.

It’s now down to JM and what he can get out of them, hopefully we are a good team who work and play as a team.

You can sign players like Scarlett talked up to be the next big Prem star but they’re no good if they can’t play in the team or aren’t used correctly.

These aren’t panic signings, they are the players the recruitment team wanted having identified, scouted and signed them. Have to put faith in them.