TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: This pre-season feels different
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
We're signing who we want rather than struggling to fill gaps in September. We have pretty much a full squad for those crucial preparatory games and training sessions.

We're in a much better position to create a settled side ahead of the first game.

I'm far more optimistic than normal before a ball has been kicked in anger.
even if the players are not much better (I think they actually are) we look properly set up for the season for ocne.
My very first full season
"perfect preparation promises promotion"
Yes, it does seem a lot more organised on the recruitment side.

I haven't got the feeling yet. The last 4 years of total shambles have traumatised me!
I think I’m getting there but believe we’re still 3 key plays short ( either signings or loans). IMO we need another keeper , another winger and an attacking goal scoring midfielder/No10.
I think we need another winger as I’m not 100% convinced that Scully will stay the season predominantly injury free.
(11-07-2023, 03:26 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I think I’m getting there but believe we’re still 3 key plays short ( either signings or loans). IMO we need another keeper , another winger and an attacking goal scoring midfielder/No10.
I think we need another winger as I’m not 100% convinced that Scully will stay the season predominantly injury free.

I'm a bit worried about where the goals are going to come from. Don't think we have replaced Jacobs creativity yet.  That and a new defensive partnership that needs to gel quickly.
It feels much more professional compared to last season
I think Whyte and especially Scully will provide goals and I think both will probably give us as much guile as Jacobs did.
Double post Sad
Whyte and Scully certainly have the historical known ability to provide assists and score themselves.
Why this is in doubt is beyond me Pedalo. If Scully breaks down then there will be questions to answer about diligence but JM said it was precautionary only with his injury and subbing vs Europa.
There are goals in this side.
I agree we need a goal scoring midfielder or 10.
A Merson now would be god-given! Maybe the loan market will settle the attacking midfielder/10 equation.
Other than that, I'd like another Keeper.
(11-07-2023, 03:44 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Double post Sad

I agreed with you both times.
I'm just hoping it's less iPad and more pen and paper. Do the digital stuff behind the scenes if you must but keep it basic for the players.
I still have a sneaky feeling that we’ll still go for Bernard. He’s only 20. Towler is 21 and Poole is 25. So that would give Pompey 3 players with a decent resale value.
Raggett is 31 this year and is probably in his last season for us. Shaughnessy is 27 and has experience so would provide decent cover.
As much as I like Raggett who has been steady and available 95% of the time plus he weighs in with a few goals, I think he’ll be on the bench.
Their comments certainly suggest they might go for him if available. Reading between the lines, I would not be surprised to see Raggett leave as part of the deal, to free up his wages.
I’d be surprised to see Raggett go , even if we do sign Bernard. Unless of course he’s not happy at being first choice.
(12-07-2023, 06:41 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just hoping it's less iPad and more pen and paper. Do the digital stuff behind the scenes if you must but keep it basic for the players.

You're maybe talking about how you'd prefer to see this stuff but the players themselves are a PlayStation generation practically born with a mobile phone in their hand. I expect they could relate better to something that looks like Fifa than arrows on a blackboard.
(11-07-2023, 12:45 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]We're signing who we want rather than struggling to fill gaps in September. We have pretty much a full squad for those crucial preparatory games and training sessions.

We're in a much better position to create a settled side ahead of the first game.

I'm far more optimistic than normal before a ball has been kicked in anger.

Agreed.
But we'll still all wet our pants when we lose the first three games  Wink
(11-07-2023, 04:52 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Whyte and Scully certainly have the historical known ability to provide assists and score themselves.
Why this is in doubt is beyond me Pedalo. If Scully breaks down then there will be questions to answer about diligence but JM said it was precautionary only with his injury and subbing vs Europa.
There are goals in this side.
I agree we need a goal scoring midfielder or 10.
A Merson now would be god-given! Maybe the loan market will settle the attacking midfielder/10 equation.
Other than that, I'd like another Keeper.

A good attacking No.10 are not easy to come by after not giving Michael Jacobs another year's extension.

I'd be very happy with Lewis Wing but looks destined for the Championship so looks like a loan player.

As we all know can be hit & miss with a loan youngster.
FFS Mikey get over your obsession with Jacobs. He wasn’t a 10 for a start. He was a wide player who was above average when fit but that wasn’t very often. Other than perhaps yourself, he won’t be missed by many.
Jacobs was injury prone and slowing down.
If he were still here then we would by definition be mad.
The fact we would be going with the same 'injury prone player' and expecting a different outcome says it all.
Jacobs was no longer good enough to play a full season delivering. Therefore he is no good to Pompey.
We are moving on, that's progress to start with.
It was a shame about Jacobs because he was far and away the best at taking on and beating his man, then playing a good ball. We've had some who could do one but not the other.
If he would take it, somewhere a club could get him on a pay as you play contract and get a very good player who can change matches.
Best in the sense he was the only player we had who could do it, which is scandalous really.
(13-07-2023, 06:01 AM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Jacobs was injury prone and slowing down.
The fact we would be going with the same 'injury prone player' and expecting a different outcome says it all.
Jacobs was no longer good enough to play a full season delivering. Therefore he is no good to Pompey.

Dale could beat a man over and over again, just couldn't play a ball.
(13-07-2023, 12:14 PM)2_Kuhl Wrote: [ -> ]
(13-07-2023, 06:01 AM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Jacobs was injury prone and slowing down.

Dale could beat a man over and over again, just couldn't play a ball.

or often chose to then go back or sideways. 
That old skill of beat the man and whip in a cross seems to have gone. But then, as Whitts so often pointed out, our wingers often looked up to see only blue shirt in the box. We also need wingers who will bust a gut to get on the far post for their oppo.
Seen today that Moose is asking us to be patient. Nothing like a manager shitting his pants before a ball is kicked to get you up for the season ffs.

Talking about pressure to win games and wanting to play a certain way. Making excuses. What about getting fooking excited and aggressive and leading the squad in to battle?

Wheres the call to arms??!! 

LEZBEAVINUE!!!! FFS! Not BE FOOKING PATIENT! 

Moan over.
Expectation management? Usually needed at this club.
Pages: 1 2 3