TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The gravity of the failed Cowley era
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(17-07-2023, 09:49 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Jackett was not given the money, he earned it by taking cups seriously. Sadly the two strikers he bought let him down in the end, Marquis probably through a lack of service, Harrison seemed very injury prone which was a shame as he had a lot of attributes.
As regards cheap loans, Cowley bought in some very expensive loans who for whatever reason did not perform as he expected.

Are you sure Hammie?  Thought it was reported that Pompey earnt just over 0.5 million from winning the EFL Trophy run and had n't done much else in the cups but then bought Marquis, Harrison & Harness and would think they cost more than that.  Same season they sold Clarke and Lowe so would guess that was where a fair chunk of the money came from.
£500k for winning the final or earned from all the games?
I think Hammie means the FA Cup runs. Jackett's record in that was quite good I'd say and good money was made in seasons 2 and 3 of his tenure. First year a 1.0 loss at Luton in round 1. However 2nd season after winning at Norwich, Pompey went out at QPR in a 4th round replay. Gates of 19k here and 13k at Loftus Rd. Next year was the run to the 5th round losing here to Arsenal in front of the Sky cameras, attendance given as just under 19k.
(17-07-2023, 05:15 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]I think Hammie means the FA Cup runs. Jackett's record in that was quite good I'd say and good money was made in seasons 2 and 3 of his tenure. First year a 1.0 loss at Luton in round 1. However 2nd season after winning at Norwich, Pompey went out at QPR in a 4th round replay. Gates of 19k here and 13k at Loftus Rd. Next year was the run to the 5th round losing here to Arsenal in front of the Sky cameras, attendance given as just under 19k.

Fair point, I would have to look at the seasons to be sure but it would be impressive if Jackett funded the biggest spending spree of recent years from a couple of cup runs.
It would have to be the FA cup runs as the Papa John Cup is only about £100k for the winners ( surprisingly the same for the Carabo? Cup)
Fair one, i was just quoting the figures for winning. Still £540K would have only paid for Harness or Harrison. Old Jackass spunked nearly £1M on Marqmiss not a bit of wonder the Eisners tightened the purse strings when he got the sack.
I seem to remember that the total from all the cup runs during Jackett's four seasons was reported as well over a million, which comes pretty close to the total paid for Marquis (£1m) Harrison (450k) & Harness (150k).  So as a general statement to claim that Jackett funded his own spending is not too much of an exaggeration. 

Pity he didn't spend it better, but he still came a penalty shoot-out away from success.
(17-07-2023, 06:56 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I seem to remember that the total from all the cup runs during Jackett's four seasons was reported as well over a million, which comes pretty close to the total paid for Marquis (£1m) Harrison (450k) & Harness (150k).  So as a general statement to claim that Jackett funded his own spending is not too much of an exaggeration. 

Pity he didn't spend it better, but he still came a penalty shoot-out away from success.

*he came a penalty shoot out away from a chance at success
As we found when he moved on, love him or loath him, he was a far more successful manager than what followed. He made a cock up with not playing the captain. But was then hit by lockdown which affected the home form of his team hugely. His away set up worked pretty consistently well.
Football is supposed to be entertainment.

Jackett was a total failure, in my book. Complete proof that it isn’t just about results.
(17-07-2023, 06:56 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I seem to remember that the total from all the cup runs during Jackett's four seasons was reported as well over a million, which comes pretty close to the total paid for Marquis (£1m) Harrison (450k) & Harness (150k).  So as a general statement to claim that Jackett funded his own spending is not too much of an exaggeration. 

Harness was undisclosed but widely reported to have been £700k.
Just as a footnote to the above, wasn't the rumour at the time that Jackett didn't fancy Marquis but was told to buy him by the Eisners after Catlin and the recruitment team made him their prime target.
Lots of rumours. Any truth to any of them?

Where did you hear that?
Can't recall exactly, it was, I guess four years ago. Just wondering if anyone else remembers that.
(17-07-2023, 10:15 PM)simonfkwit Wrote: [ -> ]

Harness was undisclosed but widely reported to have been £700k.

You're right, it was more than 150k.  I'd forgotten what we paid and made the mistake of believing Transfermarkt.com, which said 150k.  

The News reported at the time that he was more than Harrison's 450k, and it was a figure 'approaching 1m'. 

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb...pp-1311772.

We sold him for 750k according to the Ipswich press.
Cowleys were the cheap option plucked from the dole queue,tactically naive and not experienced in the pro game and had few contacts within the football food chain.
Job too big for the chuckle brothers who were happy at the dog and duck managing plumbers and warehousemen,training Tuesday and Thursday.
Pissed too much dough on loanees and confused the fans and sadly the players with their post match mumbo jumbo and lost complete contact with the fans(clapping the Fratton end whilst the fans dished abuse with the lack of any entertainment on the pitch during the 90).....hoofball?
Took over when we had a realistic chance of gatecrashing the play offs but instead blew it out their arses and on departure left a black hole with nothing in place for the future.....a legacy of horsehit leaving "John the new boy" with a task to totally churn the squad and dump the dross on the way.
Moral of the story is you need to do due diligence on new managerial appointments and dont get sucked in by waffle,yesmen chat and ultimately no promotion cv of any value other than incidents where success was achieved via the chequebook but on their departure the whole business model had to be reworked...lincoln.
Let`s hope their legacy hasn`t left a severe mark on the playing set up but all these new skins we have signed may take some time to gell.
Wish the brothers all the best and i `m sure Lidl is a far more secure enviroment because they seriously found out the hard way and those eufa pro licences now have as much value as a tufty club badge out here in the real world.
I can’t help agreeing with much of what you say but I would add that ‘John the new boy’ has far less experience than the Cowleys and has actually achieved nothing yet. The Cowleys could at least point to having promotion and saving a club from relegation on their CV. Neither of those things came by luck.

Credit to them for achieving what they did before they came to Pompey. It didn’t work out for us but it isn’t the first time that’s happened.
(20-07-2023, 07:50 PM)fredscuttle`s hampton Wrote: [ -> ]Cowleys were the cheap option plucked from the dole queue,tactically naive and not experienced in the pro game and had few contacts  within the football food chain.
Job too big for the chuckle brothers who were happy at the dog and duck managing plumbers and warehousemen,training Tuesday and Thursday.
Pissed too much dough on loanees and confused the fans and sadly the players with their post match mumbo jumbo and lost complete contact with the fans(clapping the Fratton end whilst the fans dished abuse with the lack of any entertainment on the pitch during the 90).....hoofball?
Took over when we had a realistic chance of gatecrashing the play offs but instead blew it out their arses and on departure left a black hole with nothing in place for the future.....a legacy of horsehit leaving "John the new boy" with a task to totally churn the squad and dump the dross on the way.
Moral of the story is you need to do due diligence on new managerial appointments and dont get sucked in by waffle,yesmen chat and ultimately no promotion cv of any value other than incidents where success was achieved via the chequebook but on their departure the whole business model had to be reworked...lincoln.
Let`s hope their legacy hasn`t left a severe mark  on the playing set up but all these new skins we have signed may take some time to gell.
Wish the brothers all the best and i `m sure Lidl is a far more secure enviroment because they seriously found out the hard way and those eufa pro licences now have as much value as a tufty club badge out here in the real world.

The club weren't ready for promotion. It's taken the ownership six years to get a decent setup off the field. The ground is now ready. The CEO is bedded in. We have some clarity as to recruitment and stability in team management. All in all we are now ready for the Championship. Let's move on from the Cowley brothers - that seems like a different time.
(20-07-2023, 08:19 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I can’t help agreeing with much of what you say but I would add that ‘John the new boy’ has far less experience than the Cowleys and has actually achieved nothing yet. The Cowleys could at least point to having promotion and saving a club from relegation on their CV. Neither of those things came by luck.

Credit to them for achieving what they did before they came to Pompey. It didn’t work out for us but it isn’t the first time that’s happened.
Agree big John(cheapo option) has no managerial cv and it could be deemed a pretty risky option too and it could all go tits up by xmas and  then the  Eisners will be on the dog to uncle Harry to turn up with his magic wand..........the saga goes on.

IF pompey had known the full sp on the Cowleys at Huddersfield when they had high earrners(40k a week) training with the youths then they may have never got the gig at Fratton Park.(couldn`t handle players on big dosh/no longer a schoolmaster)...owner up there was seriously pissed off with the level of control they wanted allegedly...it`s tough to get the  right balance.

......rabbits in the headlights plucked out of unemployment sent into the lions den in front of fans who wouldn`t take balderdash from Essex boys....it was a matter of time sadly for all parties
I confess that I don’t have an in depth knowledge of the Cowleys tenure at Huddersfield but those 40k a week earners were in free fall until the Cowleys turned up. Perhaps that treatment was what they needed. I dare say that a lot of Pompeys fans would have been quite happy to see that treatment meted out to some of the relatively high paid dross we’ve had over the years.
Strange and true that that method would have been the norm until the wages went sky high. Why should players be treated any differently just because they earn more?? Fuck em and sling em back with the academy. If you can’t perform then go back and learn how!
Save them from relegation? He took over after 7 games, hardly the great escape.
You’re right, I thought it was longer than that.

Just ‘championship survival’ then.

Actually, when we do make it up, I think we’d settle for that.
(20-07-2023, 07:50 PM)fredscuttle`s hampton Wrote: [ -> ]Cowleys were the cheap option plucked from the dole queue,tactically naive and not experienced in the pro game and had few contacts  within the football food chain.
Let`s hope their legacy hasn`t left a severe mark  on the playing set up but all these new skins we have signed may take some time to gell.

I think it doesn't matter if he wasted his budget on loans. The fact is he had nowhere near enough funds in which to compete with the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich, Peterborough, Sheffield weds etc. Pocket money budgets in comparison.

Mousino entails the same risks and rewards. We have no idea if the freebies, released and low fee players are the the real deal either. And if they aren't, unlike cowley loans, we're stuck with them for two years.
I hope this further gamble on our future works this time.

Not a cowley lover but hindsight is lovely. There were few complaints when they first turned up.
(21-07-2023, 10:03 AM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

I think it doesn't matter if he wasted his budget on loans. The fact is he had nowhere near enough funds in which to compete with the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich, Peterborough, Sheffield weds etc. Pocket money budgets in comparison.

Mousino entails the same risks and rewards. We have no idea if the freebies, released and low fee players are the the real deal either. And if they aren't, unlike cowley loans, we're stuck with them for two years.
I hope this further gamble on our future works this time.

Not a cowley lover but hindsight is lovely. There were few complaints when they first turned up.

He had a competitive budget, wasn’t it top 6?

If he didn’t waste the money on expensive loans he could have signed more expensive players.
Pages: 1 2 3