TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Strikers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At least we have a few options this season. Whether they turn out to be any good, or not, remains to be seen.

Nice to have what seems a decent prospect, in Ojo, coming through the ranks. We could really do with seeing some positive contributions from the academy in the near future.
Mottoh looks good too
This should be on the politics forum.
That’s tenuous, S.

Need to up your game, fella.
Ojo looks like a man on a mission. He's been out for most of the last year with an awful ankle injury and seems determined to take his chance. I know it's only two goals and still remember how Ahadme impressed us all with his pre-season goals a couple of years ago and then failed to deliver but would like to see how he copes with higher level opposition. With so many out injured - precautionary or otherwise - I hope Mousinho starts him against the Dons next Saturday.
So how many are out injured or otherwise? And do we have a new medical team in place?
(16-07-2023, 10:09 AM)Slagger Wrote: [ -> ]So how many are out injured or otherwise? And do we have a new medical team in place?

Seven. Colby, Saydee, Rafferty, Shaunessy, Lowery, Yengi and Whyte who I think is just sick. 
I think they're still sitting in QA's A&E dept.
We have a bucket, ice and a sponge. Nothing else required except possible a big needle and a black market supply of cortizone.
(16-07-2023, 10:25 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-07-2023, 10:09 AM)Slagger Wrote: [ -> ]So how many are out injured or otherwise? And do we have a new medical team in place?

Seven. Colby, Saydee, Rafferty, Shaunessy, Lowery, Yengi and Whyte who I think is just sick. 
I think they're still sitting in QA's A&E dept.

Fuck me. When was the last time we had a fully fit squad, seems like years ago?
To be fair, Mousinho reckons four could play if there were a league game this week and the others are out for a couple of weeks only. The concern is that we don't have a permanent medical team in place by the start of the season and the backroom management required to see that mild injuries don't become longer term ones. Regardless of whether we've signed good enough players or not, that could be our undoing.
I mentioned this on another thread but it’s being rumoured that we’re in for Isaak Davies of Cardiff, on loan. If this happens maybe Yengi will get loaned out to a L2 team for experience?
(16-07-2023, 02:08 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I mentioned this on another thread but it’s being rumoured that we’re in for Isaak Davies of Cardiff, on loan. If this happens maybe Yengi will get loaned out to a L2 team for experience?

Two very different types of player so don't see why.  Surely it's always been likely that we will sign a 4th striker via the loan system and Davies would fit the bill of providing something different as the small nippy option.
Surely that was Yengi’s role . I can’t see the need for 4 strikers unless Davies is going to used out on the right where he has played before. If anything, we need another GK and a number 10.
(16-07-2023, 03:06 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Surely that was Yengi’s role . I can’t see the need for 4 strikers unless Davies is going to used out on the right where he has played before. If anything, we need another GK and a number 10.

Yengi is 6ft 2 and his game apparently all about raw pace and power.  Davies is 5ft 9 so a completely different type of striker - a type that we do not have on the books at the moment.

I'd say 4 strikers is the minimum you need to start the season with, and to start with just Bishop and two young mostly inexperienced backup players would be a big gamble. Our 4th striker needs to be a bit older and Davies looks like he would be quite a good fit for what we need. 

And yes, we need a goalkeeper if Oluwayemi is being loaned out, and we need a number 10. But I'm sure both are part of the plan for the remaining 4 or so slots to be filled, but we need a 4th striker too.
How many strikers did Ipswich have last season? That would seem a fair number to aim for.
(16-07-2023, 04:09 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]How many strikers did Ipswich have last season? That would seem a fair number to aim for.

Thye had about 5 and then added George Hirst. 

But they had a very good number 10 as well in Chaplin as well their strikers.
It seems a problem that to get promoted you need squad depth but then some players cannot cope with waiting their turn, especially with no such thing as a reserve team these days.
For me that makes the midweek cups very important, at least it keeps those out of the team match fit.
It also gives fans who cannot commit to a season ticket the chance to turn up when they can and even more important, take family and sit together.
(16-07-2023, 08:47 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Ojo looks like a man on a mission. He's been out for most of the last year with an awful ankle injury and seems determined to take his chance. I know it's only two goals and still remember how Ahadme impressed us all with his pre-season goals a couple of years ago and then failed to deliver but would like to see how he copes with higher level opposition. With so many out injured - precautionary or otherwise - I hope Mousinho starts him against the Dons next Saturday.

Tuesday.
Bristol City Saturday.
I think you’ll see a full first team against BC