TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Heading the ball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
On its way out? Or a change in the rules somehow?
Is it really still a problem with the modern lighter balls, rather than the heavy, water-logged, leather balls of Jeff Astell's day?
(09-03-2021, 08:36 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]Is it really still a problem with the modern lighter balls, rather than the heavy, water-logged, leather balls of Jeff Astell's day?

I read somewhere that the thinking is that the modern ball is much lighter, flies through the air faster so the impact in some ways is potentially greater.  They're no Mitre Multiplex I'll grant you, but any continuous impact is going to cause later problems with the brain.  I only started licking windows five years after I stopped playing so there's something in that...
haha! Maybe they are thinking of putting a max number of times you are allowed to head the ball per match, and Pompey's defenders were trying it out last sat... max allowed 1 per player. That's why we couldn't compete at corners.
(09-03-2021, 08:29 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]On its way out? Or a change in the rules somehow?
Well they’ve pretty much done away with tackling, if they do away with heading what’s the fecking point?

Modern life is so risk averse that we are in danger of nobody ever doing anything.

Everyone can sit at home with a fecking mask on waiting to peg out in safety 
ffs.
(09-03-2021, 11:36 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2021, 08:29 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]On its way out? Or a change in the rules somehow?
Well they’ve pretty much done away with tackling, if they do away with heading what’s the fecking point?

Modern life is so risk averse that we are in danger of nobody ever doing anything.

Everyone can sit at home with a fecking mask on waiting to peg out in safety 
ffs.

Company I worked for in the US hired a new health and safety manager and in his first week he issued an instruction limiting everyone to 2 hours a day at their keyboard to limit RSI claims.  The man was possessed and didn't last long as everything with risk had to be either avoided or limited.

That's the world we live in unfortunately.
Not sure if it is officially banned yet but I noticed our side decided not to risk anything to do with heading the ball at Northampton on Saturday. Good old Pompey, always ahead of the game.
(09-03-2021, 02:21 PM)JIMBON Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if it is officially banned yet but I noticed our side decided not to risk anything to do with heading the ball at Northampton on Saturday. Good old Pompey, always ahead of the game.

They didn't seem to want to kick it either, Jim.
It's only a matter of time before soccer helmets are introduced.
(09-03-2021, 03:56 PM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2021, 02:21 PM)JIMBON Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if it is officially banned yet but I noticed our side decided not to risk anything to do with heading the ball at Northampton on Saturday. Good old Pompey, always ahead of the game.

They didn't seem to want to kick it either, Jim.

Seemed to be testing how strong the netting was in the fist half.
Except Macgilvray who couldn’t stop heading it
(09-03-2021, 04:20 PM)Cressers Wrote: [ -> ]It's only a matter of time before soccer helmets are introduced.

I don't actually believe it, but It was too tempting, and I couldn't resist.

We've already got one managing the team.
I think Kenny Jackett must have headed a few balls in his time . His tactics , player selections and post match interviews would suggest damage to his brain
Frattoniser lol
It must be a genuine worry for the FA. There is a huge amount of evidence that this is a real problem, so what do they do? With modern lawyers busy ambulance chasing this could be a really huge financial problem about to hit football. As and when it does they will have no choice but to put something in place going forward and I have not a clue of what they could do.
I've got a great idea: ban all headers, ban all tackles, give prizes for diving. ?
(10-03-2021, 06:29 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]I've got a great idea: ban all headers, ban all tackles, give prizes for diving. ?

So we should sign Tom Daley?
We've already got our own Daley impersonator playing up front.
(10-03-2021, 06:16 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]It must be a genuine worry for the FA. There is a huge amount of evidence that this is a real problem, so what do they do? With modern lawyers busy ambulance chasing this could be a really huge financial problem about to hit football. As and when it does they will have no choice but to put something in place going forward and I have not a clue of what they could do.

A lot of players can’t head the ball to save their lives anyway, so that’s them out of the equation.

Surely all you need to do is tell players what the evidence is, then they can choose to take the very small risk if they want to. Some kind of document absolving the FA and clubs of blame should do the trick.

We don’t ban driving because it can kill you, we don’t ban swimming because you might drown.

There are risks involved in living, people just need to make their own choices, end of.

All this compensation culture stuff is ruining things for everyone. If players are that worried, they can take out insurance can’t they. The risks, while undoubtedly present, are low.

The extent to which people are now refusing to take responsibility for themselves,and blaming ‘them’ for it, is genuinely shocking.

We are turning into a society where people spend more time worrying about what might happen than actually living their lives. COVID has demonstrated the full extent of this life ruining behaviour.

People need to get on with living their lives ffs, they are very short and risk aversion devalues them hugely.

You live for a short time and then you die, there is nothing we can do about that and it’s time people took a dose of reality.
I tend to agree there Gaffs. 

Firstly I'd like to know how they prove heading causes dimentia, I know of several old ladies (including my mother) who died from dimentia. I guarantee none of them ever headed a football. So how is football proven to cause it in some players when it is a very common illness across all of society?

How do all sports compare with football?

I ask where is the proof?
(12-03-2021, 07:25 AM)muschi Wrote: [ -> ]I tend to agree there Gaffs. 

Firstly I'd like to know how they prove heading causes dimentia, I know of several old ladies (including my mother) who died from dimentia. I guarantee none of them ever headed a football. So how is football proven to cause it in some players when it is a very common illness across all of society?

Yes Muschi, my old mum died of dementia at the age of 80, she was great in the air mind  Smile .

Seriously though, there are different forms of dementia and there is evidence that repeated blows to the head may be a factor in some cases. It doesn't affect most people though and it is one of many risks people might face during their lifetime. People have to weigh up the risks and decide for themselves whether to take them.

It’s like drinking and smoking, the evidence that they cause many disorders is indisputable but we, as individuals, decide whether to smoke or drink. That’s how it should be.

That’s why I never agreed with court cases against tobacco and drink companies, as long as they make you aware of the dangers (most of which are fecking obvious anyway), then that should be the end of it. The football authorities should give all players the evidence, get them to sign a document saying they understand the risks, and that should do it. Tell all the ambulance chasing lawyers to fecking do one I say.
(12-03-2021, 07:58 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]Seriously though, there are different forms of dementia and there is evidence that repeated blows to the head may be a factor in some cases.

I might be talking out of turn but isn't it about the damage to a specific area of the brain that links it to repeated heading of the ball? Quite rightly the Jeff Astle case was given a lot of air time up here and I seem to remember one of the many people in white coats who were interviewed saying that the older, heavier footballs cause a specific type of dementia. The fear with modern balls is that although they are much lighter, they move faster and so that brings with it a different type of brain injury.
“It’s like drinking and smoking, the evidence that they cause many disorders is indisputable but we, as individuals, decide whether to smoke or drink. That’s how it should be.”

Just as a little excursion off-piste, I’ve heard this argument thousands of times but its bogus. We don’t decide at all. I’ve spent thirty years in design studios where you have very talented people, on really big salaries spending their whole careers making us eat, drink and smoke what they want us to. Its not us as an individual choosing that bottle of vodka, its us as an individual against a £5/10m marketing budget.
(12-03-2021, 07:25 AM)muschi Wrote: [ -> ]I tend to agree there Gaffs. 

From a scientific viewpoint I don’t think there can ever be proof per se. What can be done is to compare rates of dementia (numbers per thousand) in the general population at each age group with that in footballers (or other sports) of the same age. Statistical analysis then determines if there is a significant difference. This could suggest a link between heading and dementia... or suggest no link. I don’t mean to try to sound clever here I just thought it might help the discussion along.
(12-03-2021, 09:10 AM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: [ -> ]“It’s like drinking and smoking, the evidence that they cause many disorders is indisputable but we, as individuals, decide whether to smoke or drink. That’s how it should be.”

Just as a little excursion off-piste, I’ve heard this argument thousands of times but its bogus. We don’t decide at all. I’ve spent thirty years in design studios where you have very talented people, on really big salaries spending their whole careers making us eat, drink and smoke what they want us to. Its not us as an individual choosing that bottle of vodka, its us as an individual against a £5/10m marketing budget.

Well YOU might not decide Tuffers but most people do, you haven’t been heading the ball too much have you?  Smile

Most people are not sheep and are not persuaded to do something they don’t want to do, there is no accounting for air heads.

I smoked for years despite the warnings because I wanted to, I gave up at the age of 30 because I wanted to. I drink, despite the warnings, because I like it and wish to continue.

What are you suggesting? That we are all too stupid to make up our own minds and therefore we need the nanny state to do everything for us?

Oh hang on, that is exactly the viewpoint of the left isn’t it? You and Billy boy are signed right up to that.

Well feck that for a game if soldiers.
Pages: 1 2