TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Team/score v Rovers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Almost the same starting line up we had for City.

Norris, 
Rafferty, Poole, Towler, Ogilvie, 
Pack, Morrell, Lowery, 
Whyte, Bishop, Scully.

Saydee coming in if Bishop doesn't make it.
Score: 0-0
(+ Morrell, yellow card, 6th minute)
BR look to have improved their team, tough opening game as always against his teams.
Start the season by scoring first please.
nil nil looks a good shout to me, hoping for 1.0 an get the season off to a decent start.

If Morrell gets a yellow in the 6th, best get a sub on!
2-0 Pompey
Norris
Rafferty Poole Towler Ogilvie
Morrell Pack
Lowery
Whyte Bish Scully
Hopefully not a repeat of a high score draw last year.

Agree with the side.

Hope Morell doesn't get sent off, or Morsel as my old man likes to call him (savage)
Interesting isn't it.
Twelve new players in but popular opinion is that, other than the goalkeeper, only three or maybe four will make the starting line up. Says it all really.
Probably pick up where we left off last season...0-0
Throw in some potentially wet and windy weather... but I’m going for 3-1 Pompey.. Scully, Whyte and Bishop penalty.
The key changes are out wide and I really hope that they cannot be as disappointing as the loan players that they are replacing
(03-08-2023, 09:08 AM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting isn't it.
Twelve new players in but popular opinion is that, other than the goalkeeper, only three or maybe four will make the starting line up. Says it all really.
Probably pick up where we left off last season...0-0

12 new players to replace the 13 that left that mostly were not first teamers. Last years team was top half of the table and if we have improved in 4 or 5 positions and improved the quaity of the backup sqaud players with players of more potential then we look very well placed. 

Why on earth would you expect the club to only buy first teamers when replacing such a large exodus ?
Bottom line is that we need to convert about half-a-dozen draws to wins. Whether we do that offensively or defensively is irrelevant, it will be enough to make the play-offs. Get in a Merson/Prosi/Doyle figure as the hub to this team and the automatics become much more plausible.
Going back to the Bristol City game, they had a young midfielder, Alex Scott ( their No7) who controlled most of their game. Apparently he’s been valued at £25M. IMO that’s a lot for a good Championship player. It’ll be interesting to see what the value of some our players could be worth when we go up.
3-1 Pompey.
Looking at the weather forecast for rain and strong winds (roll on summer ffs), this match could be a bit of a lottery.
2-0 Pompey.
2-1
Norris
Rafferty-Poole-Shaughnessy-Ogilve
Morrell-pack-Stevenson
Whyte-bishop-scully

Unless we bring in an attacking midfielder they replace Stevenson
(03-08-2023, 02:36 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]2-1
Norris
Morrell-pack-Stevenson
Whyte-bishop-scully

Three defensive midfielders ???  I doubt it.
(03-08-2023, 02:50 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
Norris
Morrell-pack-Stevenson
Whyte-bishop-scully

We don’t have any other type of midfielder. Also Stevenson will be the more attacking one pulling the strings
(03-08-2023, 04:21 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]
Norris
Morrell-pack-Stevenson
Whyte-bishop-scully

We don’t have any other type of midfielder. Also Stevenson will be the more attacking one pulling the strings

?? 

We have Lowery and we have Devlin.
A good win and clean sheet would be brilliant, and set us up for a positive start on, and off the pitch.

I am hoping we still may find , in one of our players, or a class loan payer - a forward thinking playmaker. ( Yes, I know)

Additionally, we must get someone close to Bish if we are going to pump long balls. However, and on that point, tomorrow does not seem like an ideal day weather wise to be pumping anything above head height, so crowd behind the team from the start and PUP !
(03-08-2023, 05:03 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
Norris
Morrell-pack-Stevenson
Whyte-bishop-scully

?? 

Lowery is no attacking midfielder and Devlin is a box to box in your face midfielder also not a attacking midfielder.
(04-08-2023, 03:10 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]
Norris
Morrell-pack-Stevenson
Whyte-bishop-scully

?? 

Lowery is no attacking midfielder and Devlin is a box to box in your face midfielder also not a attacking midfielder.

If the choices are defensive, box to box or attacking (does that cover the possibilities) then Lowery is attacking because he certainly is neither of the others - he plays higher up the pitch just behind the forwards. Haven't seen Devlin yet but his reputation is that he is not a defensive midfielder.  

So IMO if you are playing a midfield three it would make more sense to play one of those alongside Pack & Morrell rather than to play another definitely defensive midfielder like Stevenson which would make for a very defensive cautious line-up, especially for a home match. 

For me it would be Lowery every time - he is a very intelligent player and gives the midfield a bit of quick passing that sets the pace for the team to do things quicker. If he can avoid injury I think this could be the season he really comes good.
(04-08-2023, 03:31 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-08-2023, 02:50 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Three defensive midfielders ???  I doubt it.

?? 

If the choices are defensive, box to box or attacking (does that cover the possibilities) then Lowery is attacking because he certainly is neither of the others - he plays higher up the pitch just behind the forwards. Haven't seen Devlin yet but his reputation is that he is not a defensive midfielder.  

So IMO if you are playing a midfield three it would make more sense to play one of those alongside Pack & Morrell rather than to play another definitely defensive midfielder like Stevenson which would make for a very defensive cautious line-up, especially for a home match. 

For me it would be Lowery every time - he is a very intelligent player and gives the midfield a bit of quick passing that sets the pace for the team to do things quicker. If he can avoid injury I think this could be the season he really comes good.

Morrell and lowery do not work together. And remember my midfield 3 was morrell, pack and Stevenson who will be the creative one in the 3. I think people are writing Stevenson off due to being in a shot forest green side. Around better player he will flourish and will be aloud to play balls through the lines which he was doing in pre season.

Another reason morrell and lowery can’t play together no height at all..
(04-08-2023, 03:58 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-08-2023, 04:21 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]We don’t have any other type of midfielder. Also Stevenson will be the more attacking one pulling the strings

?? 

Morrell and lowery do not work together. And remember my midfield 3 was morrell, pack and Stevenson who will be the creative one in the 3. I think people are writing Stevenson off due to being in a shot forest green side. Around better player he will flourish and will be aloud to play balls through the lines which he was doing in pre season.

IMO Morrell & Lowery work perfectly well together , both good passers of the ball and both bring different things to the midfield. IMO without Lowery we just look too slow as a team and his injury more than anything else caused our slump under Cowley.  The lack of height might be an issue against some of the more agricultural teams but I'm a firm believer that if they are good enough then they are big enough .. they are both the same height as Nobby Stiles and Alan Ball and they did alright together in the same team. 

And I'm not writing Stevenson off at all, but he played as a defensive midfield player for Forest Green and IMO (and Neil Allen's) he is here as first back-up for either Pack or Morrell being out.
Usually a lot of draws in the first round of fixtures and I think this will be one of them. Barton hates us as much as we hate him and I think Rovers will improve on last season. Hope the referee is in a mood for no nonsense.
Will Marquis play?
(04-08-2023, 04:11 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-08-2023, 03:58 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-08-2023, 05:03 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]?? 

IMO Morrell & Lowery work perfectly well together , both good passers of the ball and both bring different things to the midfield. IMO without Lowery we just look too slow as a team and his injury more than anything else caused our slump under Cowley.  The lack of height might be an issue against some of the more agricultural teams but I'm a firm believer that if they are good enough then they are big enough .. they are both the same height as Nobby Stiles and Alan Ball and they did alright together in the same team. 

And I'm not writing Stevenson off at all, but he played as a defensive midfield player for Forest Green and IMO (and Neil Allen's) he is here as first back-up for either Pack or Morrell being out.
I know it was just a pre season friendly against BC but our 3 man midfield were pretty ineffective and produced no attacking threat whatsoever. I think Scully will make a real difference this season.
Pages: 1 2