TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: selection headaches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some of the match ups are hard to call
Swanson or Rafferty is a top quality pair
at left back also
then the centre halves
up front

what a very nice problem to have, best depth for years
And, everyone fighting for their place v their opposite number - got to be good!
(09-08-2023, 08:28 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]And, everyone fighting for their place v their opposite number - got to be good!

I like the look of Swanson think he has masses of potential. He also has a goal or 2 in him which is invaluable. Hopefully we can get him in the matchday squads at least. I guess Rafferty is number 1 at the moment but i think swanson could also play in midfield if needed
I agree wholeheartedly but having listened to Mousinho recently he seems to be more concerned with keeping everybody happy.
A modern football manager has enormous responsibility nowadays and my personal fear is trying to keep everyone happy can lead to unnecessary rotation rather than fielding the your best side week in week out. Some people might think that this is a nice problem to have but at this level  changing the tactical approach and team selection doesn't usually work...Cowley proved that!
I think the problem will sort itself out. The League Cup and the EFL Trophy are the games where we can make best use of the full squad; that is why team selection and progress to the Second Round was critical last night and worked perfectly. On top of that we will suffer injuries, loss of form and, as the games come think and fast, in a couple of months time suspensions. Add to that the ludicrous new rules on number/timing of substitutes then I think any worries about keeping players happy will come to nothing, nearly everyone is going to be involved.
I wouldn’t use cowley as proof of anything.
He said he knows how they think and what sort of players they are!!!
No problem. They will bide their time and get in and when they are in its up to them to stay there.
Otherwise he was wrong and we are wasting out time!
By the sound of it, they must all think they stand a chance of stepping into the first team, if anyone falls away.
And that has got to be good.

To my mind I agree with Hammie, we are in a considerably better position this term, and certain players - who would have been certain starters last term will now have to earn a place, and sustain their performance to retain it.
We haven’t done anything yet. We were outplayed in the first half and we only managed to get a draw against Rovers. The performances in the early part of last season had me thinking we might even be champions contenders. Look how that turned out.

I’m all for optimism but I need more evidence of having grounds for it.
My biggest selection difficulty was choosing between Cadburys or Rowntrees.