TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Westwoods ban ends tomorrow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb...er-4090839

So if I’m reading this right his exclusion from Fratton Park is lifted as of August 11 with a reimposition of exclusion should he offend again. So it was a 5 month ban with 7 months good behaviour bond not a year
ban as is mentioned at the start of the article. Anyway I bet that will cheer up a lot of people on this forum (sarcasm if you weren’t sure)
I guess he's marmite. But at least the atmosphere should be better (with someone leading the singing). I thought we were like a library for much of the two Bristol games, and certainly out-sung by the two Brizzles, and that doesn't happen very often.
Chatted with Westwood last night before the Forest Green match. 

He was on stand-by to enter the ground tonight at midnight but his plans were scuppered by the measly 11 minutes of injury time added!
(09-08-2023, 09:42 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]I guess he's marmite. But at least the atmosphere should be better (with someone leading the singing). I thought we were like a library for much of the two Bristol games, and certainly out-sung by the two Brizzles, and that doesn't happen very often.

As in he stinks of shit?
I also can’t wait for the atmosphere at FP to improve even though apparently I can’t tell what the atmosphere is like watching on iFollow so my opinion doesn’t count
(09-08-2023, 11:13 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]I also can’t wait for the atmosphere at FP to improve even though apparently I can’t tell what the atmosphere is like watching on iFollow so my opinion doesn’t count

The lack of atmosphere has absolutely nothing to do with Westwood not being there, it has been poor of late mainly due to the the dull football on show of the last few seasons.
I think there's more anxiety in the crowd this year. It's as if everyone is dreading seeing the same old fare dished up and is 'on the fence' , as it were, about giving their all. A few more exciting performances like we saw in the second half against Rovers will, I'm sure, bring back the good vibe.
(10-08-2023, 07:01 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]I think there's more anxiety in the crowd this year. It's as if everyone is dreading seeing the same old fare dished up and is 'on the fence' , as it were, about giving their all. A few more exciting performances like we saw in the second half against Rovers will, I'm sure, bring back the good vibe.

That could all change if we give someone a good, early season thumping at home.( ever the optimist..) 
Unfortunately we don't play Port Vale until October.
I don't get why our fans complain about the atmosphere and wait around for someone else to do something about it, then blame Johnny when it isn't to their liking. Right of entitlement mentality. Lazy and embarassing. Can't have it both ways. Sing ffs. If everyone worried about their own singing the coont would be drowned out and be irrelevant
(10-08-2023, 11:23 AM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get why our fans complain about the atmosphere and wait around for someone else to do something about it, then blame Johnny when it isn't to their liking. Right of entitlement mentality. Lazy and embarassing. Can't have it both ways. Sing ffs. If everyone worried about their own singing the coont would be drowned out and be irrelevant
Every orchestra needs a conductor. John boy just happens to be ours
A bit daft to carry the ban over into the new season anyway.
I hope that he now gets treated as other fans and not targeted for minor things that are completely ignored by others.
It's clear and obvious that Johnny has been a cat with 9 lives with many things.

It sounds as though he is down to his last one or two with his conduct.

I hope he can keep his shit together and just support the team without picking fights with sections of the crowd, the fanbase in absentia (online in particular) or making political points with things like toilets. Can't deny his love for Pompey and he needs his fix like the rest of us.
(10-08-2023, 01:56 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]A bit daft to carry the ban over into the new season anyway.
I hope that he now gets treated as other fans and not targeted for minor things that are completely ignored by others.

If he was treated like other fans he wouldn’t be allowed in to the ground.

He craves the attention and it’s all his own doing.
(10-08-2023, 11:58 AM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-08-2023, 11:23 AM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get why our fans complain about the atmosphere and wait around for someone else to do something about it, then blame Johnny when it isn't to their liking. Right of entitlement mentality. Lazy and embarassing. Can't have it both ways. Sing ffs. If everyone worried about their own singing the coont would be drowned out and be irrelevant

The last word I'd use to describe Westwood is a "conductor". His absence has been one of the few benefits of going to Fratton Park. Hopefully him and his groupies will behave themselves a bit more from now on.

And yes I'm sorry but you can't tell the true atmosphere of FP just by watching iFollow. It's not personal but nothing substitutes being there in real life. I lived in Germany for a while and listened to the 1992 cup semi against Liverpool. It was awesome listening but can't have been as exciting as it was being there.

So when you give your opinion on someone you've never met, or even never sat in the same stand or ground with before, forgive me if it's not seen as relevant as somebody who has on a regular basis.
(10-08-2023, 02:38 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

The last word I'd use to describe Westwood is a "conductor". His absence has been one of the few benefits of going to Fratton Park. Hopefully him and his groupies will behave themselves a bit more from now on.

And yes I'm sorry but you can't tell the true atmosphere of FP just by watching iFollow. It's not personal but nothing substitutes being there in real life. I lived in Germany for a while and listened to the 1992 cup semi against Liverpool. It was awesome listening but can't have been as exciting as it was being there.

So when you give your opinion on someone you've never met, or even never sat in the same stand or ground with before, forgive me if it's not seen as relevant as somebody who has on a regular basis.

Mate even on tv or iFollow or the radio you can tell when it’s good. Last game we were being out sung by Bristol Rovers. Forgive me if I don’t give a shit about you or anyone else thinking my opinion is not relevant. Just be honest with yourself and admit for the first game of the season we are normally more up for it than that or at least in the past we have been
I’m certainly not saying your opinion doesn’t count, I have no issues with people who watch games and comment but it is different being there. I thought Rovers were loud when they sung scums song but other than that didn’t make a lot of noise.

The Milton End is now enclosed which I think has made a big difference.

Also, aren’t the commentary teams right next to the away fans now?
(10-08-2023, 03:14 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]

Mate even on tv or iFollow or the radio you can tell when it’s good. Last game we were being out sung by Bristol Rovers. Forgive me if I don’t give a shit about you or anyone else thinking my opinion is not relevant. Just be honest with yourself and admit for the first game of the season we are normally more up for it than that or at least in the past we have been

You can get an indication but not the full picture. 

Disagree about being out sung by Rovers. Apart from when they were in the ground and the home end was emptyish, a couple of times when play stopped and when the goal went in, that's all you really heard from them. Certainly, from the second half, I heard diddly squat from them during the second half. I'm not saying we were on fire but I think you're overdoing the praise towards Rovers fans.
(10-08-2023, 04:31 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

Disagree about being out sung by Rovers. Apart from when they were in the ground and the home end was emptyish, a couple of times when play stopped and when the goal went in, that's all you really heard from them. Certainly, from the second half, I heard diddly squat from them during the second half. I'm not saying we were on fire but I think you're overdoing the praise towards Rovers fans.
They were loud right up until kick off then bizarrely went very quite for the first ten minutes of the game. They did the same last season. I would say that blocking in the gaps at the back of the stand also seems to have made the Milton End acoustics a bit louder. To be fair to Rovers, they sang that shite New Orleans jazz standard a lot louder than the scummers ever have at Fratton. While we're at it: they can sing about her all they want but Irene is an absolute slag who takes it up the wrong  un.
Well I have to say that listening on Radio Solent to the Rovers game that the away fans were quite audible.. especially in the first half with their scummer chanting.. seemed a very quiet Fratton Park from a home support point of view. The only time it got exciting and loud was when the equaliser went in. Certainly not a "wall of noise"! Just saying..
(10-08-2023, 05:40 PM)BabaOReally Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-08-2023, 04:31 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-08-2023, 11:58 AM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]Every orchestra needs a conductor. John boy just happens to be ours

They were loud right up until kick off then bizarrely went very quite for the first ten minutes of the game. They did the same last season. I would say that blocking in the gaps at the back of the stand also seems to have made the Milton End acoustics a bit louder. To be fair to Rovers, they sang that shite New Orleans jazz standard a lot louder than the scummers ever have at Fratton. While we're at it: they can sing about her all they want but Irene is an absolute slag who takes it up the wrong  un.

The death march.
listening on radio or TV. The only ground that has been really impressive last season was the City Ground.
Which is odd as Clough used to complain about he lack of support.
(10-08-2023, 08:06 PM)pushbike_pete_PFC Wrote: [ -> ]Well I have to say that listening on Radio Solent to the Rovers game that the away fans were quite audible.. especially in the first half with their scummer chanting.. seemed a very quiet Fratton Park from a home support point of view. The only time it got exciting and loud was when the equaliser went in.  Certainly not a "wall of noise"! Just saying..

The Milton end is now enclosed and I believe the commentary teams are now right next to the away fans.
Westwood has expressed some willingness to modify his behaviour a bit and so I think should be given this chance to turn words into actions. It becomes a negative feedback loop. He doesn't help himself with his behaviour and also gets egged on by his hangers on (and to be a John Westwood hanger on is utterly pathetic).
(12-08-2023, 10:16 AM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]Westwood has expressed some willingness to modify his behaviour a bit and so I think should be given this chance to turn words into actions. It becomes a negative feedback loop. He doesn't help himself with his behaviour and also gets egged on by his hangers on (and to be a John Westwood hanger on is utterly pathetic).

You’re trying to tell me a 50+ year old man can’t stand up to peer pressure?

Christ alive.
(12-08-2023, 11:15 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-08-2023, 10:16 AM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]Westwood has expressed some willingness to modify his behaviour a bit and so I think should be given this chance to turn words into actions. It becomes a negative feedback loop. He doesn't help himself with his behaviour and also gets egged on by his hangers on (and to be a John Westwood hanger on is utterly pathetic).

You’re trying to tell me a 50+ year old man can’t stand up to peer pressure?

Christ alive.
Like all so-called "celebs" he's a law unto himself and his groupies. Bottom line is he actually comes across as quite a nice bloke when he's sober, and he's selectively intelligent. IF he can clean his act up and have a shower every day he could be a really good ambassador for the club. Big "if" though.
Pages: 1 2