TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Yesterday's game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A rare midweek game for me as can't normally make it across from Kent for an evening game. Went home buzzing after what I thought was an excellent overall performance with a great atmosphere though we did hang on a bit at the end with a brilliant point blank save from Norris keeping us in front. Was so pumped up I watched the game again on Sky when I got home!
So here are my bleary eyed player ratings from the game

Norris - As I said 1 brilliant save and all round good game - 8
Rafferty - Some good crosses, overall decent game - 7 1/2
Poole - Sheer class - 9
Shaughnessy - Did well both in defence and late on in midfield - 8
Ogilvie - Looked dangerous going forward, solid in defence - 8
Pack - A couple of errors and looked to tire but excellent first 60 minutes - 8
Morrell - One of our best on the night. Helped make us tick - 8 1/2
Robertson - Great signing. Could make the difference for us this season. - 9
Whyte - The weakest link on the night - 6
Scully - If only his set pieces were better would have been a 9 so - 8
Bishop - Fantastic goal, scared the s**t out of their defence. My MOM - 9 1/2

Got to go to work now so don't have time to mark the subs.
PUP
(16-08-2023, 06:59 AM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: [ -> ]A rare midweek game for me as can't normally make it across from Kent for an evening game. Went home buzzing after what I thought was an excellent overall performance with a great atmosphere though we did hang on a bit at the end with a brilliant point blank save from Norris keeping us in front. Was so pumped up I watched the game again on Sky when I got home!

Poole - Sheer class - 9

PUP

Some generous markings there. The worrying thing for me is "the untouchables" of Pack, Morrell and Oglvie. All 3 work hard and contribute in their own way but are a weakness too. Pack and Morell, at home, contribute nothing creatively. Passing backwards and slowing down play until the opposition are all ready. Its why, so far, our chief form of attack is from the opposition trying to play out. We can afford one defensive midfield maestro but having two means we're resorted to the traditional hopeful punt and the sideways football more frequently. I thought Pack in particular looks a bit lost at home when teams are set up for 0-0. Whilst Ogilvie does at least offer a shot on goal this season he doesn't seem to be willing to take on a player which I think was one of his strengths. Who is Ogilvie's competition for his position?

I like that Robertson takes a shot or two (especially at home when so far we run out of ideas really quickly), but the real difference is Saydee and Kamara. When we resort to that long ball krap at least we have two players who can hold up the play and who are reactive and that gives Bishop a bit more than the scraps he's still feeding on. Sparkes also seems to make an impact (no pun intended although I'll take it). The understanding is getting there but we need more width and more pace in my opinion.

We really do need to work on our home strategy because the first two games brought lucky (but deserved) outcomes. It won't continue forever. We have to address the creativity and pace that is severely lacking in the squad. Maybe Lane coming back will help in that respect?

Cracking atmosphere although shame despite attempts by the twat with the drum to curtail it.
(16-08-2023, 07:27 AM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-08-2023, 06:59 AM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: [ -> ]A rare midweek game for me as can't normally make it across from Kent for an evening game. Went home buzzing after what I thought was an excellent overall performance with a great atmosphere though we did hang on a bit at the end with a brilliant point blank save from Norris keeping us in front. Was so pumped up I watched the game again on Sky when I got home!

Poole - Sheer class - 9

PUP

Some generous markings there. The worrying thing for me is "the untouchables" of Pack, Morrell and Oglvie. All 3 work hard and contribute in their own way but are a weakness too. Pack and Morell, at home, contribute nothing creatively. Passing backwards and slowing down play until the opposition are all ready. Its why, so far, our chief form of attack is from the opposition trying to play out. We can afford one defensive midfield maestro but having two means we're resorted to the traditional hopeful punt and the sideways football more frequently. I thought Pack in particular looks a bit lost at home when teams are set up for 0-0. Whilst Ogilvie does at least offer a shot on goal this season he doesn't seem to be willing to take on a player which I think was one of his strengths. Who is Ogilvie's competition for his position?

I like that Robertson takes a shot or two (especially at home when so far we run out of ideas really quickly), but the real difference is Saydee and Kamara. When we resort to that long ball krap at least we have two players who can hold up the play and who are reactive and that gives Bishop a bit more than the scraps he's still feeding on. Sparkes also seems to make an impact (no pun intended although I'll take it). The understanding is getting there but we need more width and more pace in my opinion.

We really do need to work on our home strategy because the first two games brought lucky (but deserved) outcomes. It won't continue forever. We have to address the creativity and pace that is severely lacking in the squad. Maybe Lane coming back will help in that respect?

Cracking atmosphere although shame despite attempts by the twat with the drum to curtail it.

Did you watch the game last night ?  If so, how can you say Morrell contributed nothing creatively and passed backwards and slowed down play ??  That is complete nonsense. There was a notable change in his play last night and nearly every time he got the ball he drove forward at some pace, often 20 yards or so to turn defence into attack. It was a major feature of our performance and tactics but you appear to have missed it totally.
(16-08-2023, 07:27 AM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

Poole - Sheer class - 9

PUP

What are you talking about , ‘long ball krap’.

The last thing we can be accused of is a long ball game and in any event the long ball is a legitimate and valuable tactic in football.

The long ball is employed by teams at every level in football, including Manure, Real Madrid, Barcelona et al. Is it OK when they use it then?

As for Pack, Morrell and Ogilvie, they are very good footballers at this level and if they aren’t good enough for you then perhaps you need to look a bit further up the pyramid for a team to support ffs. What are you expecting? Ronaldo and Messi perhaps  Big Grin .
Wow, sorry for expressing an alternative opinion and bow to yours and the other guys' genius. All hail Deepblue and exgaffer!

I did got to the game last night actually. At no point did I say the untouchables were not very good players at this level. I pointed out, IN MY OPINION, that neither had that much impact in a creative form during the game. It would be interesting to see how many assists Pack and Morrell have been involved in during the last two home games. Again, for those who have difficulty understanding words, I am not saying that they are not very good footballers.

In regards to long ball crap, it is crap when it involves mostly aimless punts in the general direction of Bishop that has punctuated home games when we run out of ideas. I doubt Manure RM and Barcelona resort to doing it like we do (I don't know for sure because I don't watch Prem or Champions League but I can't imagine it's their main attacking option). It happened in huge doses last season and is still prevalent in large doses during the first two games at home. Saydee has made a real difference in that at least he can hold onto the ball a bit before the support arrives.

Anyway, the team worked hard and last year that would have been a draw. The strength and depth of the squad is impressive and it's the first time in ages you can look at real options on the bench. I agree that the atmosphere was good too*

*Opinion is subject to approval from DB and Exg and may be subject to change or altered by said parties....
Of course you are allowed an opinion but equally I'm allowed an opinion too and my opinion is that your opinion was very wrong last night. And it seems several agreed with me.

If you can't take criticism and differing opinions on here without resulting to childish comments about those that disagree (and give sensible  reasons for disagreeing) then you are in the wrong place.
I don't have an issue with people expressing different views. That's part of the reason I come on this sight, to see what other people think. It's the continual personal abuse that gets up my nose. Why do you criticise anybody? Just give your alternative view.
My opinion on opinions is that that they are somewhat subjective and therefore open to challenge and also to retort. To retort to a retort suggests that you have too much time on your hands.
But that's just my opinion.
(16-08-2023, 03:57 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]My opinion on opinions is that that they are somewhat subjective and therefore open to challenge and also to retort. To retort to a retort suggests that you have too much time on your hands.
But that's just my opinion.

Opinions, including this one, are overrated.
(16-08-2023, 02:04 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have an issue with people expressing different views. That's part of the reason I come on this sight, to see what other people think. It's the continual personal abuse that gets up my nose. Why do you criticise anybody? Just give your alternative view.

Twat
Personally I enjoyed last night, we are a work in progress but I can only see us improving. Too many ‘fans’ think it’s boring if we’re not 2 up in the first 20 mins. If anything last night we were guilty off too many long high balls. Exeter have quite a tall keeper and a back four that must average at least 6’2”,whereas we probably manage about 5’10”. Yes we didn’t play like Barca and we give the ball away cheaply on occasions but we are where are , the 3rd division of our football pyramid , but hopefully this will be our season.
As that naff song says, “things can only get better”
PUP
I totally agree with the initial score and comments for the two wingers.
I really like the mixing up of playing from the back and bombing it long, we often broke the offside trap but Bishop has many attributes but not pace in that position. However, we now have a few other attacking types who do have sufficient pace to get in behind and force a save or a foul. Whyte and Camara and probably Roberston for instance.
I was pleasantly surprised yesterday. Considering it was a L1 match it felt like the ball was in play for longer than usual and it was fairly end to end although the latter may be because we are rubbish at defending counters.

Aside from Scully who has yet to impress me I like the look of this squad. We have excellent depth creating a good problem of sorts whereby you are seemingly not starting a couple of players who are in good form but only because those ahead of them are also in good form.

I will say that in Kamara, Saydee and Yengi we have 3 players who have pace, power and drive which we haven't had up top since Benjani and Utaka. I can understand not starting all 3 but I do feel at least 1 of them should be starting. As soon as Kamara came on he reversed his full back and continued to do it for the rest of the game, something Whyte doesn't seem to be able to do.
It was the first time I'd seen Kamara live and he definitely has something, Whyte also and I thought he was pretty poor. Scully, I liked but would take him off corner duty, he might be a bit marmite looking at comments.
(16-08-2023, 12:34 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, sorry for expressing an alternative opinion and bow to yours and the other guys' genius. All hail Deepblue and exgaffer!

I did got to the game last night actually. At no point did I say the untouchables were not very good players at this level. I pointed out, IN MY OPINION, that neither had that much impact in a creative form during the game. It would be interesting to see how many assists Pack and Morrell have been involved in during the last two home games. Again, for those who have difficulty understanding words, I am not saying that they are not very good footballers.

In regards to long ball crap, it is crap when it involves mostly aimless punts in the general direction of Bishop that has punctuated home games when we run out of ideas. I doubt Manure RM and Barcelona resort to doing it like we do (I don't know for sure because I don't watch Prem or Champions League but I can't imagine it's their main attacking option). It happened in huge doses last season and is still prevalent in large doses during the first two games at home. Saydee has made a real difference in that at least he can hold onto the ball a bit before the support arrives.

Anyway, the team worked hard and last year that would have been a draw. The strength and depth of the squad is impressive and it's the first time in ages you can look at real options on the bench. I agree that the atmosphere was good too*

*Opinion is subject to approval from DB and Exg and may be subject to change or altered by said parties....

‘Mostly aimless punts in the general direction of Bishop’.

Are you sure you’ve been watching these games? I don’t recall lots of ‘mostly aimless punts’ in the direction of anyone. A long ball to Bishop is a perfectly valid tactic, it gets the ball to our most dangerous striker and puts the opposition under pressure. A mixture of playing through and round, allied to the long ball occasionally is a prerequisite for success. Football is not all about tippy tappy stuff and using 20 passes when one would do the job.
I have to say that the Tuesday night's game was the most varied, fluid style of play I think I've seen at Fratton for years.
(17-08-2023, 10:17 AM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]I have to say that the Tuesday night's game was the most varied, fluid style of play I think I've seen at Fratton for years.

There are lots more positives than negatives so far. The defence has been really sound and the two new signings, Poole & Shaughnessy look good. Rafferty & Oglivie we knew all about, and have started very well. Great cover in all those positions - Sparkes & Swanson have already demonstrated they are more than suitable replacements when needed. Norris seems to be growing into his role. Slightly iffy handling against Bristol Rovers, but better since, particularly good at playing out & distribution.

I’m pretty neutral on midfield. Pack does look fitter to me this season & Morrell just does what he does. Perhaps he needs a few more games? Robertson has shown early promise. Haven’t really seen much of the cover thus far.

Going forward I probably differ from most in feeling Scully has shown much more than Whyte, both have more to do to convince. Really liking what I have seen of Kamara. There is definitely something about him, he has had a big impact on the two home games when he comes on. Bishop is getting fitter each game and that has to be good. Yengi seems to know where the goal is and if he continues to score when he comes on will not be far away from starting. 

Let’s hope we continue for the next few games. Glass half full definitely ….
We are going up, that feeling is there.
"I’m pretty neutral on midfield. Pack does look fitter to me this season & Morrell just does what he does. Perhaps he needs a few more games? Robertson has shown early promise. Haven’t really seen much of the cover thus far."
I thought Pack looked a bit trimmer too.
I think you're right about cover, might be an area that we need t strengthen as Mouse has admitted with a long term absence.

Knowing there is space in the budget really shows just how much we wasted on loans previously.