TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Minimum requirement vs Cheltenham
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As we all know, 3 points is 3 points whether you win 1-0 or 7-0....so it doesn't really matter. Or does it?

I thought Tuesday was a strong workmanlike performance against a well organised and physical Exeter side who, up until then, hadn't conceded a goal, and so I was therefore happy with the 1-0 win.

However, tomorrow against Cheltenham, I'm expecting much much more.....a dominant performance from the word go, and a minimum 3-0 win. Sure, it will still only get us 3 points, but against a Team without a point, without a goal, and racked by injuries there can be no excuses for anything less than 3-0!
Although these games often don't turn out to be as straight forward as we might expect I'd agree we want to see a dominant and exciting performance with a comfortable win. An early goal makes all the difference so let's hope to be one up inside 10-15 mins. I particularly want to see the 2 wingers (if it turns out to be Scully and Whyte) really making an impact as for me they have been a bit flat so far. Whyte in particular has been efficient on the ball but nothing to excite me. I want to see them run at their defenders and cause some problems. Having said that I agree if it turns out to be tough going and we win 1-0 then take it and move on.
Anyone win and I’m happy
I thought Scully was very good against the defenders on Tuesday with and without the ball but will know that his delivery can improve. He would be helped by our getting more players in the box, especially the right winger who seemed very unsure about where he should be for much of the match. Maybe Camara would be better, hard to know as I've only seen him for the minutes he had that night. The old role of the winger was to come in late on the far post, not sure if that is still the case in this much more technical age, but it seemed to work well as it stretched the defenders across the box more. I'd like to see them both in the box for corners, or on the edge, good movement is always hard to defend against.
If we play anywhere near as well as we did against Exeter, it'll be a nailed on 3 points for us. As long as the performance has the same intensity, the result will come. It up to the players to match that and the crowd to push them on.

Looking forward to it.
I hope for a win, which at this point in the season would be good enough.

All this "minimum requirement" malarkey is really not for me.
If we play like we did in the first half on Tuesday we should be out of sight. Exeter are a better side then Cheltenham
Yes, 3 points is important but so is building up goal difference which has been ab achilles heel in past seasons.

3-0 would be great & like to see Kamara getting more game time he has lots of pace & good ball control.
and scream and scream until I am sick
"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream"

One for the cineastes.
3 points and as good or better than the last performance. All you can ask for really.
A win is a win is a win, as they say, and although this is only the fourth game of the season it is vitally important especially if you look at our league games next month.
If we're in the top six at the end of September then I may begin to believe that this season might be the one!
A comfortable 2-0 would be about right. Anything better than that would be a lovely bonus.
Play some entertaining football. It’s always the minimum, for me.
Anything on a par with the first half against Exeter and nothing like the last 20 minutes against them would be lovely.
We are on a roll, the only way is up. Three points and three goals.

Believe.
3-0 win
I’ll take a win, that will do me nicely  Big Grin .
Their fans are not confident but more hopeful.
Last season's pompey , 0-0. This season's Pompey 3-0
Our home record v Cheltenham. 2 wins 3 draws. Today feels like it should even that score up and I am going for 2-0. I do, however, have a slight, nagging doubt. No team goes all season without a point. No team goes all season without a goal. We can't be complacent and need to really take the game to them. If we can score early for once then we should win comfortably but...
A lot of tempting fate here, so 0-0
Or we can have one shot from outside the box in the first 30mins against the powerhouse that is Cheltenham!
That sounded truly dreadful! Change to 4-4-2 give Bishop support.
Or 352. Agree Bishop is isolated. Needs Saydee up there, and Sparks. Bit more luck for Richardson, he looks sharp again.
Could go top if we win this. Others slipping up
Pages: 1 2