TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Totally unacceptable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Fcuking poor performance against 2 bob bunch of minnows.
1 up front at home again, no pace,  guile or skill.
The players we have signed to give us width are definitely no better than the rubbish we have just got rid of.
The management team appear to be out of their depth.
We need players who can play under the pressure that comes with representing a club like Pompey.
Knee jerk, I don’t think so.
Could have played for 4hrs and still not scored . Just whack it into the box and hope for the best . They came to defend and we couldn’t unlock them
. Build up play always the same . Predictable and no threat from anywhere . Got to win these games at home .
A surprisingly big team for the likes of Cheltenham, looked like a northern team.
As with too many modern managers, they nail their colours to one style of play and one team setup.
When the ball gets to Colby, it is so obvious that he needs someone close to lay it off, either via two mids pushed up or a number ten along side him, like Cheltenham did actually.
Thought it was a disciplined and cohesive performance from Cheltenham. Being football minnows not relevant, we won't beat them ten nil just because we are Pompey
We were terrible. Clueless football. No pace no creativity. No wingers worthy of the name.
Bedwetters out in force I see.
People who care out in force followed by you.
(19-08-2023, 07:47 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]Bedwetters out in force I see.

Were you actually at the game? The comments are perfectly reasonable for people who were.
I don't think it is bedwetting to be frustrated at that performance, it should have been better. Some of the more extreme kneejerk negativity does annoy me a bit though. It is still so early in the season and a decent few results in the next month and it will all look rosy again. Bolton got thumped by the first decent team they played this season , Barnsley lost at home and have just one point since that ominous looking 7-0 win against Vale, Peterborough lost. Setbacks happen in a 46 game league seasons and no club has a divine right to promotion.

8 points from 4 games is OK. Given that I don't think we have been at our best yet it is fine. Of course it might turn out that this 'our best' might be entirely mythical and wishful thinking but I suspect there is more to come.

The talk of formation is inevitable after drawing a blank at home but it isn't a simple solution. 3-5-2 requires wingbacks and our last experiment with that got dropped very swiftly. Just ask Demver Hume. Danny Cowley's 442 was pilloried last season too and Marlon Pack struggled as part of a two man central midfield once Lowery got injured especially. I still think this system is right but that the wingers haven't been good enough yet. I'd stick with it for now and if we're still talking like this at the end of September then it is time to change.
As you say, the end of September has always been the time to assess the various teams.
We look decent enough but have yet to be put under sustained pressure defensively.

So far we seem to have a decent defence and still have a goal scorer, that;s a reasonable basis for a successful season.
The game was so stop start both times the linesman got injured we were getting a head of steam up and then couldn’t get back in to the rhythm.

Even with that we hit the post and Saydee had a free shot right at the end but shanked it. I’d one of them had gone in no one would have cared.

Deebo

I live near Cheltenham and probably have a different perspective than most having watched their rise from nowhere over the years. They’re never going to compete with a club like ours in the resources front so they need to find a way to get a result which they did yesterday to good effect. Most sensible people would understand this. It looks as if less whinging and more respect is in order in case we start to look like arrogant underachieving tossers. As for the ‘did you go to the game’ well no I didn’t. I listened to it as I have every game so far from which I deduced that the pre-match hype about walking all over ‘minnows’ like Cheltenham was deluded.
(20-08-2023, 05:49 AM)Deebo Wrote: [ -> ]I live near Cheltenham and probably have a different perspective than most having watched their rise from nowhere over the years. They’re never going to compete with a club like ours in the resources front so they need to find a way to get a result which they did yesterday to good effect. Most sensible people would understand this. It looks as  if less whinging and more respect is in order in case we start to look like arrogant  underachieving tossers. As for the ‘did you go to the game’ well no I didn’t. I listened to it as I have every game so far from which I deduced that all of the pre-match hype about walking all over clubs like Cheltenham is deluded.

They had lost their first three games.

Deebo

It’s Pompey. Never get your expectations up.
(20-08-2023, 05:53 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-08-2023, 05:49 AM)Deebo Wrote: [ -> ]I live near Cheltenham and probably have a different perspective than most having watched their rise from nowhere over the years. They’re never going to compete with a club like ours in the resources front so they need to find a way to get a result which they did yesterday to good effect. Most sensible people would understand this. It looks as  if less whinging and more respect is in order in case we start to look like arrogant  underachieving tossers. As for the ‘did you go to the game’ well no I didn’t. I listened to it as I have every game so far from which I deduced that all of the pre-match hype about walking all over clubs like Cheltenham is deluded.

And they obviously learnt from that. Defensively, they were very good. If we’d managed to score it would have been interesting to see what their game plan was.
(20-08-2023, 06:44 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-08-2023, 05:53 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]

And they obviously learnt from that. Defensively, they were very good. If we’d managed to score it would have been interesting to see what their game plan was.

Exactly. They lost two of those games by 1 goal and one of those was an own goal. They are a poor side but not a shambles. Even Forest Green managed to pick up 27 points last year so these sides are going to cause a few surprises over 46 games.
I personally don’t give a damm how Cheltenham played what I care about is how my team plays and what I saw yesterday was a manager who firstly sets his team up to not to lose.He has some of the most negative tactical play I have watched. Goalie rolls ball to one of the defenders who in turn passes to another defender who then passes to Pack or Morrell who then attempts to pass to either winger who is hugging the touch line, either winger has no confidence to beat his man so passes backwards and so it goes on and when said winger does get a chance to cross the ball there is usually only Bishop in the penalty area who has 2 centre halves up his backside the other winger has stayed out wide offering no support what’s so ever. This went on all game. We never attempt or try to play through the middle or if we do it’s not often. As I said after the Bristol game the jury is out for Mousinho and very much still is.

I would add for those that criticise and call bedwetters supporters like me and others who care about there club instead of just criticising why don’t you explain in detail what you see that was so good in the game and maybe we may see a different angle that we have been missing.
I will add I want John Mousinho to succeed more than anything he comes across really well is intelligent well spoken but I just don’t want to watch any old crap like these fans who moan and call others bedwetters are more than happy to watch.
(20-08-2023, 08:19 AM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]I personally don’t give a damm how Cheltenham played what I care about is how my team plays and what I saw yesterday was a manager who firstly sets his team up to not to lose.He has some of the most negative tactical play I have watched. Goalie rolls ball to one of the defenders who in turn passes to another defender who then passes to Pack or Morrell who then attempts to pass to either winger who is hugging the touch line, either winger has no confidence to beat his man so passes backwards and so it goes on and when said winger does get a chance to cross the ball there is usually only Bishop in the penalty area who has 2 centre halves up his backside the other winger has stayed out wide offering no support what’s so ever. This went on all game. We never attempt or try to play through the middle or if we do it’s not often. As I said after the Bristol game the jury is out for Mousinho and very much still is.

I would add for those that criticise and call bedwetters supporters like me and others who care about there club instead of just criticising why don’t you explain in detail what you see that was so good in the game and maybe we may see a different angle that we have been missing.

Has anyone said it was a good performance? I just think there are some making sweeping negative observations about the season based on one disappointing game (not saying you are particularly but there are some). Yes the jury is still out on Mousinho, it is his first managerial role and at a big club for this level too. There is a folly about being too reactionary every bit as much as there is about being a 'happy clapper'.

I saw Bolton fans on twitter calling for Ian Evatt to be sacked after Wigan stuffed them 4-0 or crying out loud. I mean as a Pompey fan I'd be saying please please sack him. And ifnhe happened to end up here, all the better.
(20-08-2023, 09:19 AM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-08-2023, 08:19 AM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]I personally don’t give a damm how Cheltenham played what I care about is how my team plays and what I saw yesterday was a manager who firstly sets his team up to not to lose.He has some of the most negative tactical play I have watched. Goalie rolls ball to one of the defenders who in turn passes to another defender who then passes to Pack or Morrell who then attempts to pass to either winger who is hugging the touch line, either winger has no confidence to beat his man so passes backwards and so it goes on and when said winger does get a chance to cross the ball there is usually only Bishop in the penalty area who has 2 centre halves up his backside the other winger has stayed out wide offering no support what’s so ever. This went on all game. We never attempt or try to play through the middle or if we do it’s not often. As I said after the Bristol game the jury is out for Mousinho and very much still is.

Has anyone said it was a good performance? I just think there are some making sweeping negative observations about the season based on one disappointing game (not saying you are particularly but there are some). Yes the jury is still out on Mousinho, it is his first managerial role and at a big club for this level too. There is a folly about being too reactionary every bit as much as there is about being a 'happy clapper'.

I saw Bolton fans on twitter calling for Ian Evatt to be sacked after Wigan stuffed them 4-0 or crying out loud. I mean as a Pompey fan I'd be saying please please sack him. And ifnhe happened to end up here, all the better.

Mous has done a really good job since he came here.

He is still learning and will learn from yesterdays game it’s how we go forward with similar games.

But having said that Saydee scores at the end no one would care. Free with space and time But panicked

Exactly! Needs to get brave enough to try winning, not being scared of losing.
We are one point off top, totally unrecoverable, season is gone, Mousinho out, sack the board and sell the club.

We should be 12 points clear with a goal difference of +16

Deebo

(20-08-2023, 08:25 AM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]I will add I want John Mousinho to succeed more than anything he comes across really well is intelligent well spoken but I just don’t want to watch any old crap like these fans who moan and call others bedwetters are more than happy to watch.

You like him but not enough to give him time. Fair enough.
(20-08-2023, 08:25 AM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]I will add I want John Mousinho to succeed more than anything he comes across really well is intelligent well spoken but I just don’t want to watch any old crap like these fans who moan and call others bedwetters are more than happy to watch.

I haven't seen a single person say they were happy with yesterday.  Not one. 

I'm happy with our league position, and happy that we are on the longest unbeaten run in 75 years so clearly a very difficult team to beat and happy that his team has the potential to get stronger and stronger as the season progresses.

So I disagree strongly with people who write the team off just because of a poor result.
This is already looking like a repeat of last season. Drawing games at home which we should be winning. Fortunately, other teams at the top lost but that doesn't hide the fact that we messed up at home again.

Cheltenham came with a defensive plan for a point & achieved it.
We ran out of ideas quickly & had No Plan 'B'.

No I didn't go yesterday although I was offered a seat at too late a stage.
I listened to Guy & Andy Moon on iFollow radio coverage & really glad I didn't go!

The team isn't as good as last year I believe after ME stating he was prepared to spend on the team.
Most of the new recruits are on Frees & the 2 loans look good but probably Not on massive wages.

The formation is too defensive for Home Games & away games against weaker opponents.
Bishop is a 20+ goal striker but needs support & Not convinced Saydee has enough quality to score 10+ goals.

Hopefully, more funds are available to strenthen the team before the transfer window shuts & also in January for a final push for promotion.
Pages: 1 2 3 4