TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Stevenage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
They have a pretty decent team with a lot of ex pompey players. I'm relieved Nathan Thompson isn't going to be playing. 

We should have enough to beat these chumps though. It being an away game should work in our favour. I'll go for 2-1 Pompey.
Think we probably need to play raggett they will be a physical side
(24-08-2023, 02:58 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]Think we probably need to play raggett they will be a physical side

Not in defence though lol
I think we underestimate Stevenage at our peril, they have bought shrewdly and a few ex Pompey players will be wanting to make a point. As regards Raggett & Towler, I do believe we miss their goalscoring abilities at set pieces.
Norris
Rafferty-Poole-raggett-Ogilve
Morrell-pack
Whyte-Robertson-scully
Bishop
There is an argument to be made for 3-5-2. It gets Rags or Towler into a defence that has support either side of them. Creates width in midfield and gives us 2 strikers up top.
352 is a dead duck or why are we letting Hume go.
The same as last game with a change of wingers to Sparkes and Swansom. Doing the same job as wing backs but in front of a full back.
And we would do worse than get Camara on the pitch at some stage, seemed very much up for a physical battle and is tall and quick, I won't perhaps talk about his shooting.
Thought Stevenson looked useful in the centre of midfield too
Why not go 3412
Norris
Poole , Shaughnessy, Towler or Raggs
Swanson or Rafferty, Pack ,Morrell Sparkes
Robertson
Yengi or Saydee, Bish
So far I’m not that impressed with our wide players ( inc Kamara). However, it is very early doors and hopefully they’ll turn it around and prove me ( and others) wrong. I’m always up for a piece of humble pie.
(24-08-2023, 04:08 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Why not go 3412
Norris
Poole , Shaughnessy, Towler or Raggs
Swanson or Rafferty, Pack ,Morrell Sparkes
Robertson
Yengi or Saydee, Bish

Yengi out injured. Would stay with the same back 4 personally
I like the shape of that side and with Zak and Jack able to defend (a bit) down the flanks and attack well, it would work well.
Away from home: 4-1-4-1

Norris
Rafferty Raggett Poole Ogilvie
Pack
Mottoh Devlin Morrell Sparkes
Bishop
I bought both Devlin and Stevenson looked decent enough in the middle
Marlon will need to be on his game or stevenson could step in for him.
I think Stevenage will be the surprise package of the league this season. Hard fought score draw.
(24-08-2023, 08:08 PM)HotToddy Wrote: [ -> ]Away from home: 4-1-4-1

Norris
Pack
Bishop

that won't be the team, thats for certain
If we go 3 at the back

———————Norris————————
——Raggett—Poole—Shaughnessy——
Rafferty——morrell——pack——Ogilve
———————Robertson ——————-
————Bishop——scully—————

Scully would be better through the middle off of bishop
(25-08-2023, 07:30 AM)farq2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-08-2023, 08:08 PM)HotToddy Wrote: [ -> ]Away from home: 4-1-4-1

Norris
Pack
Bishop

that won't be the team, thats for certain
I agree with you but I'm not trying to predict the team.
Stevenage are no chumps, Steve Evans has done a tremendous job so far getting them up and looking decent again this season.
Are we all going to have another meltdown if we don't beat them by three?
(25-08-2023, 12:48 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]Stevenage are no chumps, Steve Evans has done a tremendous job so far getting them up and looking decent again this season.

We all know it's a tough game, but a poor result will raise further questions about the team's potential this season.
He usually manages to get his teams playing above them selves to start with, not sure in the longer term, but this is a tough enough game to give us an idea of where we are at.
(25-08-2023, 01:18 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-08-2023, 12:48 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]Stevenage are no chumps, Steve Evans has done a tremendous job so far getting them up and looking decent again this season.

We all know it's a tough game, but a poor result will raise further questions about the team's potential this season.

Yes, its the shit results that make this type of game more stressful beacause it's so much more important to win it. In isolation a draw (or even a loss) wouldn't be particularly surprising but because we are so pedestrian at home, it up's the ante somewhat.
A draw will apparently set a record for an unbeaten run stretching back to the 1920s. Quite amazing when you think of what we have achieved in that time yet instead of celebrating it, we will probably muse the pattern of too many draws again curbing our potential.
(25-08-2023, 03:47 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-08-2023, 01:18 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, its the shit results that make this type of game more stressful beacause it's so much more important to win it. In isolation a draw (or even a loss) wouldn't be particularly surprising but because we are so pedestrian at home, it up's the ante somewhat.
We should relish a game like this. We have had some games to see what's what. Now is the time for the first team to perform. There are too many question marks currently on whether some of these players should keep their place. Hope Raggers and Devlin get a chance to score more goals.
(25-08-2023, 04:09 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]A draw will apparently set a record for an unbeaten run stretching back to the 1920s. Quite amazing when you think of what we have achieved in that time yet instead of celebrating it, we will probably muse the pattern of too many draws again curbing our potential.
Draws are no good to us after last season's high number cost us. It would give us three draws out of five league games. We need wins.
(26-08-2023, 01:12 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-08-2023, 04:09 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]A draw will apparently set a record for an unbeaten run stretching back to the 1920s. Quite amazing when you think of what we have achieved in that time yet instead of celebrating it, we will probably muse the pattern of too many draws again curbing our potential.
Draws are no good to us after last season's high number cost us. It would give us three draws out of five league games. We need wins.

It's the home draws that are the problem. Yes, looking for away wins but a draw away is never a bad result.
Pages: 1 2