TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Apart from physical characteristics can anyone ......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
tell me the footballing differences between Gavin Whyte, Anthony Scully & Paddy Lane ?

To help you here are a list of 8 similarities :-

All have no pace.
All first instinct is to pass back.
All can't cross a football properly.
All can't take a decent corner.
All are predominantly one footed.
All appear highly injury prone. 
None seem capable of skinning the opposition  full back.
None have ever nailed down a starting spot in a championship team.
(26-08-2023, 05:44 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]tell me the footballing differences between Gavin Whyte, Anthony Scully & Paddy Lane ?

To help you here are a list of 8 similarities :-

All have no pace.
All first instinct is to pass back.
All can't cross a football properly.
All can't take a decent corner.
All are predominantly one footed.
All appear highly injury prone. 
None seem capable of skinning the opposition  full back.
None have ever nailed down a starting spot in a championship team.

Worse than what we had last season, starting to wonder if Hughes is either short sighted or totally blind
I thought Scully looked very interesting first half against Exeter.
Whyte I've yet to see anything that makes him stand out.
Lane is probably a very good winger but needs to stay fit and have a run in the team.

If we are going to use Camara wide he looks to have more pace and physicality than any of them. Apart from Robertson we still have few options inside though so he may end up playing there
I’ve started to believe that the more Pompey hype up a player they’re buying or have bought, then the worse that are. So far Scully and Whyte are proving me right.
(26-08-2023, 06:43 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]If we are going to use Camara wide he looks to have more pace and physicality than any of them. 

I know it's petty but could you, at least, spell his name correctly?

Abu Kamara. 

He might appreciate it.
Kicking K will do, not a bad attribute for a player
I may end up sounding like George W Bush in the mid 2000's insisting that there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq but I maintain my belief that Scully will provide significant goals and assists by seasons end.
(26-08-2023, 07:56 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]I may end up sounding like George W Bush in the mid 2000's insisting that there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq but I maintain my belief that Scully will provide significant goals and assists by seasons end.

If we can get him confident and he plays like he did against Exeter he seemed like a right nuisance to them, but rn out of steam unsurprisingly.
(26-08-2023, 07:59 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-08-2023, 07:56 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]I may end up sounding like George W Bush in the mid 2000's insisting that there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq but I maintain my belief that Scully will provide significant goals and assists by seasons end.

If we can get him confident and he plays like he did against Exeter he seemed like a right nuisance to them, but rn out of steam unsurprisingly.

We're you at that match? 

If you were you must have been watching through rose coloured spectacles. Both wide attacking midfielders (You'd be committing g an offence under Trade Descriptions to call them wingers) were terrible as they have been all season.
(26-08-2023, 09:24 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-08-2023, 07:59 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]

We're you at that match? 

If you were you must have been watching through rose coloured spectacles. Both wide attacking midfielders (You'd be committing g an offence under Trade Descriptions to call them wingers) were terrible as they have been all season.

I was sat in the south upper level with his starting position. First half he gave the Exeter defence a torrid time but ran out of steam second half. Whyatt closer to us just looked in the wrong position most of the time. First time I saw either live and can only go on what we saw. Really our wingers could be very good as they both have a very helpful full back behind them. Need to quickly find our best two and play them consistently. When Rafferty is back, I think many of us could see Swanson and Sparkes keeping the out and out wingers on the bench. Kamara I think has a lot of attributes and if we settle him into one position, could add something that the others lack.

TBF I've only seen him once , and thought he was OK then.
I’ve seen Whyte on more than a dozen occasions before he joined us and he was no more than an average L1 player even then. I was surprised and slightly underwhelmed when we came in for him. Obviously Mouse must have seen something in him at Oxford that has by passed the majority of us.
As for Scully, I’d never heard of him before he signed so other than the over hyped publicity blurbs ( IMO), about him , I no nothing.

I really hope I’m very wrong but it would appear that the most obvious of last seasons failings have yet to be corrected.
Tuesday's teams will be interesting - will POSH play youngsters, or make yesterdays non-performing squad step up ?
Early doors people please give it a big longer.
What about two other decent size teams in our league Wigan and Charlton. Would their fans swop places ??
Understand what you're saying but I don't care about other teams,and ours isn't firing on all cylinders and hasn't been for a while. To continue with the engine type analogies, maybe an experienced technician rather than apprentices would cure matters.
(27-08-2023, 10:43 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I’ve seen Whyte on more than a dozen occasions before he joined us and he was no more than an average L1 player even then. I was surprised and slightly underwhelmed when we came in for him. Obviously Mouse must have seen something in him at Oxford that has by passed the majority of us.
As for Scully, I’d never heard of him before he signed so other than the over hyped publicity blurbs ( IMO), about him , I no nothing.

I really hope I’m very wrong but it would appear that the most obvious of last seasons failings have yet to be corrected.

Yes. like you I was also completely underwhelmed when I saw that we were after him. He had a decent career at Crusaders in NI but since 2018 has managed 135 appearances in mainly Div 1 & the Championship (30 appearances). At 27 he should be at the top of his career - makes you wonder what Hughes & Mousinho saw in him that other coaches didn't -he appears to have spent the early part of last season sitting on the bench  to then disappear off the scene completely.