TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Can we have Ben Close back please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
IMO more valuable to the team than Morrell.

1: Better passer
2: Scores more goals
3: Gets sent off less
4: Cheaper

I genuinely believe he would be better next to Pack and could move the ball forwards and pick a pass better. Can't tackle for shit but that's not a major issue at the moment.
I feel like this goes without saying but Morrell is streets ahead of Ben Close as a footballer..Close could be good on his day but Doncaster fans tend to agree that he's far too inconsistent.
Player of the year fro Doncaster.
Is it a general thing that we under rate players who come through our youth system these days.
Or our system has under developed them so we have to let them go to grow somewhere else?
On the other hand, is Pack holding Morrell back?
He's injured, yet to play this season.
(30-08-2023, 09:06 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Player of the year fro Doncaster.
Is it a general thing that we under rate players who come through our youth system these days.
Or our system has under developed them so we have to let them go to grow somewhere else?
On the other hand, is Pack holding Morrell back?

For the worst Doncaster side in 20 odd years. I liked him well enough but he's not the standard of player a promotion chasing league one side needs.
I agree, he isn't coming back here even if he was fit. He scored a worldie here v Tranmere but can't tackle, passes the ball tidily but sidewards or backwards. Oh hold on.........
He was bang average veering to crap.
I am putting this thread in my top 5 daft as shit picks
(31-08-2023, 07:04 PM)slayer Wrote: [ -> ]I am putting this thread in my top 5 daft as shit picks

There's a 'Can we have Bryn Morris back please' thread in the works as we speak.
Lol I'd prefer to get Diarra back but I'd still be happy with Close. He did more for the team than Morrell did.
Jeez if we're getting nostalgic for Ben fecking Close things really must not be going well. A bad September and we'll be pining for the tenacity of Johnny Ertl, the reliability of Nigel Atangana or the physical presence of Ellis Harrison.
(31-08-2023, 08:52 PM)Santa release Claus Wrote: [ -> ]Average players are average players. There's not much between them all.

Oh come on. I lost brain cells reading that and I haven't got loads spare.
I'm struggling with Ben Close being anywhere near as good as Morrell.
Morrell is a regular in the Welsh squad, Close wouldn't even make the Welsh subbuteo squad
(31-08-2023, 08:46 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]Jeez if we're getting nostalgic for Ben fecking Close things really must not be going well. A bad September and we'll be pining for the tenacity of Johnny Ertl, the reliability of Nigel Atangana or the physical presence of Ellis Harrison.

Oh ffs don't mention Ertl, Isaac still has his poster up on his cave wall
Morris represented England at under-16, under-17, under-18, and under-19 levels, captaining the team at each level. Put some respect on his name!
(30-08-2023, 08:54 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]IMO more valuable to the team than Morrell.

1: Better passer
2: Scores more goals
3: Gets sent off less
4: Cheaper

I genuinely believe he would be better next to Pack and could move the ball forwards and pick a pass better. Can't tackle for shit but that's not a major issue at the moment.

Ben close is, and always has been, shit.
If Close was on the bench, next to Pack, I think that would be his best position.

A waste of places on the subs bench, mind.
If Ben Close was any good as a League One player he'd be playing in League One, not in his second year of a three year contract with a team looking likely to drop out of the football league having had, if you'll excuse the pun, a close escape last season.

At 27 he's found his level. He had 4 years to prove himself and out of those he had one good season.
I really don't get all the anti-Morrell feeling that seems to be developing.   IMO, since he came back from the World Cup he has been our best and most consistent player, and I don't care how often he gets booked or sent off as long as he is committed to the cause.  No-one used to moan at Mick Kennedy for that. 

A different debate is if we need the role he is playing as a second holding midfielder - but that does not take anything away from how well he has been doing the job.
Totally agree Deep despite his two yellow cards today. On that note I can’t find where I can like posts anymore. Since the forum went offline that option appears to be gone unless I’m not looking properly
Don't think it's normal service resumed yet Waf, hopefully the like button reappears soon
They'll be back later this weekend. See the post in General.