TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: First true test
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I view Saturday as the first true test of what we are/and what we are capable of this season. 
Come Saturday evening, if all goes very well, we could be viewing Pompey in a very favourable position in the league, but to the contrary if all goes tits up a lot of angst could be heading Mr Moushino's way - so hope it's the former.

Certainly the teams taking the field will bear little similarity to Tuesday but both ( first) teams seem pretty evenly matched so it boils down to who WANTS it more - and who wants to finish the day on a high'? 

John M believes he has a unique band of supporters at FP, however i would suggest he has nowhere near any idea of what he truly has, until they are really inspired as in days of yore.

Saturday , for goodness sake let's go for the jugular, don't let them have a seconds peace, attack and be positive from the first kick . Go for a truly attacking lineup - even if by accident - remember what happened .......  what BALLY did,  at Crystal Palace !

Trust our defence but go for them - PUP
(31-08-2023, 08:54 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]I view Saturday as the first true test of what we are/and what we are capable of this season. 
Come Saturday evening, if all goes very well, we could be viewing Pompey in a very favourable position in the league, but to the contrary if all goes tits up a lot of angst could be heading Mr Moushino's way - so hope it's the former.

Certainly the teams taking the field will bear little similarity to Tuesday but both ( first) teams seem pretty evenly matched so it boils down to who WANTS it more - and who wants to finish the day on a high'? 

John M believes he has a unique band of supporters at FP, however i would suggest he has nowhere near any idea of what he truly has, until they are really inspired as in days of yore.

Saturday , for goodness sake let's go for the jugular, don't let them have a seconds peace, attack and be positive from the first kick . Go for a truly attacking lineup - even if by accident - remember what happened .......  what BALLY did,  at Crystal Palace !

Trust our defence but go for them - PUP

Harry not Bally surely
OMG yes , yes certainly Harry
I would suggest he really has no idea what it’s like to deal with a very pissed off Fratton Park either.

Fingers crossed he gets it right.
The thing is we do have the chance to ( at least) do better this season, but JM has to inspire the players and put some chilli in their bellies.

Do that and the fans will go with him.
I saw posted elsewhere, revert to the opening day two attacking mids.
With our latest young signing, we seem well equipped to do that.
Be brave at home.
Too many of our recent managers seem intimidated by playing at Fratton Park and go safety first. The team no doubt reads the doubts and does the same.
AB, Harry, Eagle, Bobby Campbell, Frank.
All successful, all attacked.
The rest of the easily forgettable managers sent out teams frightened of losing and I have easily forgotten their names.
Too true Hammie, AND I am sure the FP crowd would not boo, even in defeat, if they had watched their team really go for it .

However, I do not think that it would end in defeat, they would inspire the fans, and the incessant noise would inspire them !
We can only hope, sadly not too hopeful after too many years of safety first tedium.
I've not seen anything in the team so far that makes me think we are going to tear up the league. It's been pretty mediocre to date. 

We just don't have the cutting edge needed to win games against unadventurous opposition. Something needs to change in terms of mindset and/or tactics. 

Too slow, predictable and unadventurous ourselves at the moment.
(31-08-2023, 04:19 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]I've not seen anything in the team so far that makes me think we are going to tear up the league. It's been pretty mediocre to date. 

We just don't have the cutting edge needed to win games against unadventurous opposition. Something needs to change in terms of mindset and/or tactics. 

Too slow, predictable and unadventurous ourselves at the moment.

and crucially not very good at set pieces, get a goal regularly from those and other sides will have to come at us
All eyes on the weekend indeed. A true litmus. This is where everyone pulls their pants down and we all see what we have got.