TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Time to take stock....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, so it's been 6 league games now and with a mini break upon us due to International's, I reckon it's a good time to take stock of where we are.

On the plus side, we seem pretty solid at the back...although we've not really been tested by any of the (so called) top teams as yet....but 17 games unbeaten is impressive by anyone's measure.

On the down side, we struggle to unlock teams or keep them under sustained pressure. Even on Saturday against Peterborough, I thought we laboured badly in the first half (despite going 2-1 up), although improved second half.

For me we've yet to fully gel as a team, perhaps because JM is still experimenting with formation / players best positions?

12 points from 18 is ok, but I would have expected at least a couple more tbh.

So....I'm cautiously optimistic at this stage and reckon we've got a good shot at being top 6 come next May.
A very solid start
build on that
don't get too unlucky with injuries
Sub Morrell every time he gets a booking

and we should be ok.
(05-09-2023, 08:05 PM)Mostlysunny Wrote: [ -> ]OK, so it's been 6 league games now and with a mini break upon us due to International's, I reckon it's a good time to take stock of where we are.

On the plus side, we seem pretty solid at the back...although we've not really been tested by any of the (so called) top teams as yet....but 17 games unbeaten is impressive by anyone's measure.

On the down side, we struggle to unlock teams or keep them under sustained pressure. Even on Saturday against Peterborough, I thought we laboured badly in the first half (despite going 2-1 up), although improved second half.

For me we've yet to fully gel as a team, perhaps because JM is still experimenting with formation / players best positions?

12 points from 18 is ok, but I would have expected at least a couple more tbh.

So....I'm cautiously optimistic at this stage and reckon we've got a good shot at being top 6 come next May.

We're one point off top place and looking at our first six games we should have been top...not because we're anything special but because the rest bar Bolton are crap.
That's the Bolton that got bummed 4-0 at home by Wigan?
Maybe Wigan are the ones to watch.
I was actually beginning to think Wigan were going to be the standout team but they’ve lost twice already.
Stevenage will be more than a handful. The surprise package in L1 this season IMO.
You may well be right.
Just think back to that game when we played Luton in the snow. There isn't a team that is even remotely close to being as good as they were.
I think at least ten games in is the benchmark for evaluating where we are generally and particularly with the sides we will have faced by then. 
Hate international breaks. Often we have built up a sort of momentum before the break and fallen away afterwards.
(06-09-2023, 12:37 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Just think back to that game when we played Luton in the snow. There isn't a team that is even remotely close to being as good as they were.

Exactly how I feel, Peds. We aren’t even close to looking like real champions prospects.

But we could, given time.

Luton had a slow start that season too, if I remember correctly.
(06-09-2023, 01:07 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]I think at least ten games in is the benchmark for evaluating where we are generally and particularly with the sides we will have faced by then. 
Hate international breaks. Often we have built up a sort of momentum before the break and fallen away afterwards.

How many international players do we currently have? I detest international breaks too and believe that League 1 and lower should not be allowed to postpone matches.
(07-09-2023, 01:10 PM)Slagger Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-09-2023, 01:07 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]I think at least ten games in is the benchmark for evaluating where we are generally and particularly with the sides we will have faced by then. 

How many international players do we currently have? I detest international breaks too and believe that League 1 and lower should not be allowed to postpone matches.

Would you say that if Bish was picked lol
As far as I’m aware we’ve got 3 full internationals and an U 21
(07-09-2023, 03:44 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-09-2023, 01:10 PM)Slagger Wrote: [ -> ]

Would you say that if Bish was picked lol
The rule would apply to all clubs so yes I would.