TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Pompey favs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It’s not just about ability.

Your order of preference of the five following players:-

Whittingham 
Walsh
Hilaire
Prosinecki
Quinn

Who have you most enjoyed watching from that list?
(07-09-2023, 05:07 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]It’s not just about ability.

Whittingham 
Walsh
Hilaire
Prosinecki
Quinn

Kennedy
Not an easy one but I will go for Prosinecki. Sensational. Pros, Walsh, whitts,hilaire, Quinn but like I said before really it’s Pros then I don’t really care after that.
Just for those with comprehension difficulties,

‘Order of preference’. (From the list).

Two failures already. Kin ‘ell!
Prosinecki.
(07-09-2023, 05:55 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]Prosinecki.

Dinlo  Big Grin
(07-09-2023, 06:02 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-09-2023, 05:55 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]Prosinecki.

Dinlo  Big Grin

didn't like your list,kennedy wasn't on it
Good, now that the rules have changed, Lassana Diarra was the player I liked best.
Micky Tait, loved him for his commitment
Walshy Cos he was the first "big signing" that actually lived up to the billing
Hilaire Fantastic player and stuck it to the racists at such as Leeds.
Blake, for lots of reasons including the header that knocked out Spurs
Colin Sullivan (cos he took huge stick but never gave up, ended up as player of the season I seem to recall)
Alan Knight, for loyalty and being a really fantastic keeper until he had his face smashed when he was good but never as good on crosses
My favourite 5
Biley ( always made me laugh)
Tait 
Knight
Rogers
Primus

Not necessarily our best players but have special memories of all of them.

None from your list in my top 5 Cunning but if I must... 1)Quinn, 2)Prosinecki, 3)Walsh, 4)Whittingham, 5)Hilaire
(07-09-2023, 05:07 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]It’s not just about ability.

Whittingham 
Walsh
Hilaire
Prosinecki
Quinn

1. Prosineki
2. Whitts
3. Linvoy
4. Herman
5. Henri (honorary)
Ffs is no-one going to answer the fookin question???

Prosi
Walshy
Hillers
Whits
Quinny

Can't be bothered to explain my reasoning.
Prosi and Merson
Prosinecki, Walsh, Whittingham, Quinn, Hilaire

Answered faultlessly!

6 Maguire

dammitt
Whittingham, Walsh, Quinn, Hilaire, Prosinecki
Walsh - what an absolute wizard pest. Simply unplayable on his day.
Merson - he came, he saw, he conquered! Masterclass
Diarra- probably the best player I've ever seen in a blue shirt.
Alan Rogers - when wingers could beat a man and cross a ball time and again.
Yakubu - simply the amount of goals he scored including the winner at fratton when I finally saw pompey beat scum at home!
If it was about ability Prosineki would win hands down but from a romantic, nostalgic POV...
Dave Kemp - turn on a sixpence, back of the net. Conjured goals from nowhere in the box. And he had THAT perm.
Peter Marinello - yes, I know he didn't live up to huge expectations but was so exciting skipping down that left wing.
Can you repeat the question?
For me :

Walshy recall his special goals
Prosinecki - free kick edge of the box - everyone knew where it would end up
Vince Hilaire - our version of Cunningham - what a skilful player
Mick Quinn - smart striker gave the defenders hell - constantly
Guy Whittingham - always in the right place - our version of sniffer Clarke!

Add ons, Mark Hateley, and as above Mavid KEMP
(08-09-2023, 06:45 AM)simonfkwit Wrote: [ -> ]Can you repeat the question?

Well, the reason I asked (and the reason I included only those players), is that I thought it would be interesting to see where entertainment triumphed over goals scored. Hence the carefully chosen players and the reason I didn’t offer my own opinion. 
Of course, as usual, the majority’s ego gets in the way and they believe they have something far more important to say. It’s quite enlightening.
(08-09-2023, 05:11 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]If it was about ability Prosineki would win hands down but from a romantic, nostalgic POV...
Dave Kemp - turn on a sixpence, back of the net. Conjured goals from nowhere in the box. And he had THAT perm.
Peter Marinello - yes, I know he didn't live up to huge expectations but was so exciting skipping down that left wing.

Wasn't Marinello a right winger, or is my memory failing ?
I'll throw a few names in not mentioned yet ...

Ray Pointer ... an earlier version of a big name signing that did not disappoint 
Norman Piper 
Kevin Dillon 
Arjan De Zeeuw
(08-09-2023, 09:04 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-09-2023, 05:11 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]If it was about ability Prosineki would win hands down but from a romantic, nostalgic POV...

Wasn't Marinello a right winger, or is my memory failing ?

I dunno, Deep. It's just one of those images that has stayed in my head. Like Blakey passing the ball back into his own net at Plough Lane or Alan MacLoughlin blazing over the bar at Villa Park or Billy Wilson launching a rocket into the top corner (also at Plough Lane)......

A drizzly, floodnight Fratton night, me standing on the north terrace seeing Pe-ter Ma-rinn-ello whisk down that left side and everyone leaning forwards, following his driving run anticipating his lurch onto his right foot cutting inside the right-back for the shot.
(08-09-2023, 08:49 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-09-2023, 06:45 AM)simonfkwit Wrote: [ -> ]Can you repeat the question?

Well, the reason I asked (and the reason I included only those players), is that I thought it would be interesting to see where entertainment triumphed over goals scored. Hence the carefully chosen players and the reason I didn’t offer my own opinion. 
Of course, as usual, the majority’s ego gets in the way and they believe they have something far more important to say. It’s quite enlightening.

Did you have your selection peer reviewed to check that it was the right one? Or, indeed that it would answer the question you were posing?
Pages: 1 2