TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Barnsley game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Tuesday night's game will probably be our toughest away game all season. Too early in the season to call a game a 6-pointer? Not really because the points matter just as much whatever the time of the year. Devante Cole seems to be scoring goals for fun - 8 already in only 7 games. I have a horrible feeling this could be the end of our unbeaten run. Really could do with Saydee back as Barnsley will be physical and he has that extra strength. Will be happy with yet another draw from this game but praying for more.
Herman, the team are still blending, but they do seem to show exciting signs of really uniting, and "getting Pompey ".

If can maintain a fit squad, all available, then this may well be our season !

And Bish is growing in confidence by the game; PUP.
(17-09-2023, 09:11 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Herman, the team are still blending, but they do seem to show exciting signs of really uniting, and "getting Pompey ".

If can maintain a fit squad, all available, then this may well be our season !

And Bish is growing in confidence by the game; PUP.

I do agree firq, think this is the best squad we have had for a long time. JUst feel like Barnsley are the team to beat this year. I am excited though about this season overall.
Not bothered about the 'record' ( too many draws for me), however, I would settle for a draw Tuesday and 3 pts Saturday.
Since we lost to Sheff Wed (a model in gamesmanship (cheating) by Darren Moore) we've embarked on just about the most unconvincing unbeaten run that has been largely devoid of any genuine entertainment. For all that, over a season it would result comfotably in a play-off spot; automatic promotion if two or three of those draws could have been converted into wins.
Tuesday night 'up norf', probably wet and windy, in front of a partisan but small crowd will be a massive test for us but the sort of game we should get a result if we're going to get promoted.
The biggest problem will be team selection, how we set up and the tactical approach to going a goal up or a goal down.
Let's assume we haven't been fed the usual bullshit about injuries and availability. Rafferty and Morrell will be available again but it's difficult to see either of them going straight back into the side, we need to find space for a degree of creativity provided by the two youngsters and we look potentially a bit threadbare up front (again). Tricky one for sure.
Tell you what let's go for a 1-1 draw!!
Christ, Wight, lighten up. Devoid of entertainment??? Didn't you see the game yesterday? 90 minutes of entertainment with chances galore. Some people are very hard to please - go and support Man City. This is the third tier ffs
We just need to start taking some of the chances being created, with only 3 goals against the defence looks very solid.

Barnsley lost  Liam Kiching to Coventry right at the end of the transfer window, he was the outstanding defender for them at our home fixture last year - hopefully that has weakened their defence.

Terry Devlin set up Colby Bishop & had a great chance himself- would like to see him given lots more minutes over the next few weeks.
DS wrote :-

"Christ, Wight, lighten up. Devoid of entertainment??? Didn't you see the game yesterday? 90 minutes of entertainment with chances galore. Some people are very hard to please - go and support Man City. This is the third tier ffs"

And I agree big time, and as related in earlier posts, I am very content where we are at the mo. Again, let's be realistic about this , we are still, (but hopefully for the very the last season, still in the third tier. BUT all is now going the right way, on and OFF the pitch - be grateful for that.

Some of these people needed to experience what some of us endured in the mid seventies - Strewth !!
I think Wight’s problem is he remembers back to back championships in the forties so of course this seems dull compared with that
Good number of blues who expect 3 points every game without exception and have the mentality that we had the 3 points before the first ball was kicked and we failed to retain them. I pity them.
(17-09-2023, 11:03 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Christ, Wight, lighten up. Devoid of entertainment??? Didn't you see the game yesterday? 90 minutes of entertainment with chances galore. Some people are very hard to please - go and support Man City. This is the third tier ffs

I remember being in the old 3rd and even 4th division.
It was FAR more entertaining football on offer.
Bobby Campbell side that went up from the old 3rd were dynamite to watch.
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried

My opinion of course
(17-09-2023, 05:23 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-09-2023, 11:03 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Christ, Wight, lighten up. Devoid of entertainment??? Didn't you see the game yesterday? 90 minutes of entertainment with chances galore. Some people are very hard to please - go and support Man City. This is the third tier ffs

I remember being in the old 3rd and even 4th division.
It was FAR more entertaining football on offer.
Bobby Campbell side that went up from the old 3rd were dynamite to watch.
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried

My opinion of course

Trouble is that sums up football for most teams now, not just pompey.
All too scientific, bought in a load of continental managers and coaches so get the Italian type set up from back then.Topped off by the requirement to complete FA coaching badges. 
Probably too much work on the training ground, might account for the injuries.
by all accounts, Harry hardly did any training and his teams were some of the best to watch. Ditto Jim Smith and those you mention above.

Alan Knight stated on air that he would be bored as a keeper these days with little or nothing to do.

And there's me thinking that was quite positive for Wight
(17-09-2023, 10:43 AM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]Since we lost to Sheff Wed (a model in gamesmanship (cheating) by Darren Moore) we've embarked on just about the most unconvincing unbeaten run that has been largely devoid of any genuine entertainment. For all that, over a season it would result comfotably in a play-off spot; automatic promotion if two or three of those draws could have been converted into wins.
Tuesday night 'up norf', probably wet and windy, in front of a partisan but small crowd will be a massive test for us but the sort of game we should get a result if we're going to get promoted.
The biggest problem will be team selection, how we set up and the tactical approach to going a goal up or a goal down.
Let's assume we haven't been fed the usual bullshit about injuries and availability. Rafferty and Morrell will be available again but it's difficult to see either of them going straight back into the side, we need to find space for a degree of creativity provided by the two youngsters and we look potentially a bit threadbare up front (again). Tricky one for sure.
Tell you what let's go for a 1-1 draw!!

Not sure some of you guys actually read what other people are saying before condemning them.
By definition the run has to be unconvincing becasuse the majority of the results are draws peppered with late equalisers for us. Similarly many of these games have failed to provide any genuine entertainment or can't people remember just a few weeks ago to an awful 0-0 home draw with the mighty Cheltenham.
That is not knocking the present squad or the manager, it's merely being realistic. Nobody wants us to win promotion more than I do.
In terms of the groundwork it appears that Richard Hughes has done a pretty good job, so it's now down to Mousinho. We had a big test on Saturday where an away point should always be considered to be a positive thing and, I think, we have an even bigger test on Tuesday for the reasons I set out earlier.
We have a squad that is stronger than any other since we got promoted and if we can get over this almost perpetual hurdle of injuries and suspensions we then have to look at team selection and our tactical approach. The first part of that shouldn't be too difficult if you look at the keeper and the back four and the rest should fall into place once the loanee kids find their feet.
I'm still going for a 1-1 on Tuesday night which, in my view, will a really good result.
‘Guys’???

FFS!!!

The rest of it’s ok.
I use guys , it’s more common than you think. Although I picked it up initially when living in Canada.
And gals?
(18-09-2023, 07:22 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]And gals?

Erm no, we don’t want to be reminded of Jimmy Saville.
Exactly my thoughts. Repugnant man
Never use/used the terms gals
(18-09-2023, 07:19 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I use guys , it’s more common than you think. Although I picked it up initially when living in Canada.

I have to say, I’ve never used anyone. Not knowingly anyway.

Not sure it’s something I’d own up to if I did.

Really can’t stand the term ‘guys’. Fucking perv, Saville.
I'd say our only bad result on paper this season has been the 0-0 with Cheltenham and that was due to poor finishing on the day. But I think we should also actually give some credit to how well the opposition played that day despite their lowly position.  

Results that can look bad when you make assumptions from the league table about how good teams will be are sometimes not that bad when you actually see how well that 'poor' team played for the 90 minutes on the day.
(18-09-2023, 11:18 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say our only bad result on paper this season has been the 0-0 with Cheltenham and that was due to poor finishing on the day. But I think we should also actually give some credit to how well the opposition played that day despite their lowly position.  

Results that can look bad when you make assumptions from the league table about how good teams will be are sometimes not that bad when you actually see how well that 'poor' team played for the 90 minutes on the day.

They are bottom of the table with one point, courtesy of guess who. They are a rubbish team. Pompey failing to dispatch them was an appalling result.
We don't quite have that cutting edge to dispatch teams yet. We are gradually improving but those stubborn teams are killing us. 

If we can improve service from the wingers, we should be ok. When is Yengi expected back?
Rafferty, Morell and Saydee back for the Barnsley game.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7