TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Swanson
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last season he had a good run in the team covering Rafferty and was unlucky to lose his place. This season he must retain his place and make Rafferty fight hard for a return.
This is a weird one isn't it? Totally agree Swanson doesn't deserve to be dropped and yet Rafferty is also one of our most consistent quality players. Good to have 2 really good players competing for the right-back slot. I guess the question is, could Swanson play right wing? Would definitely like to see him stay in the team as he is a young, high quality player who keeps getting better. I said this last season when others were doubting him. Swanson is a player we want to keep for the long term as I am sure he is Championship quality.
I want Swanson to keep Rafferty out of the team!

I also want Rafferty to keep the little upstart out of the first 11 too.
Away to Barnsley. Play Swanson in front of Raffs? Whyte on the bench?
I don't think there's any mileage in playing a very good right back out of position as a right winger just so we can shoehorn another very good right back into the team. It is a very long season and there will be opportunities to rotate and there will ve suspensions etc.
It’s the age old problem isn’t it? If you have the luxury of two good players for one position you have the conundrum of who to play.

If you rotate the squad you will piss both of them off and if you just play the one in form you leave the other one pissed off and not getting match action. Trying to keep everyone ‘match fit’ is not easy.

It’s a good problem to have though, it beats only having one good player for a position and then having to struggle if he gets suspended for injured.
When you've got two good players on form for the same position its probanly best to look at what they have actually delivered. 

I'd say Rafferty edges it on that... he has provided the crosses for 4 or 5 of our goals this season, more than Swanson's one or two, and has not been at fault for any goals conceded whereas Swanson was left badly beaten for Peterborough's goal. 

For a tough game on a Tuesday night in Barnsley it has to be Rafferty for me. But equally I have no problem at all if Swanson keeps his place - they are both very good players so it is not a choice that is going to win or lose you the game.
If ( if only), selection was based on fairness then Swanson should be picked and up to Rafferty to get his place back. After all Swanson was MOTM ( for Pompey at least), so replacing him would be a right kick in the Henry’s for him.
(18-09-2023, 01:55 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]If ( if only), selection was based on fairness then Swanson should be picked and up to Rafferty to get his place back. After all Swanson was MOTM ( for Pompey at least), so replacing him would be a right kick in the Henry’s for him.

Which would worry me, he could lose motivation if he is the best player and still gets dropped.
He is young and knows the score. It's a long season and he has already made solid appearances for Pompey.
We are in a fight to go up and I believe JM will have him buying into this as he does with the rest of the 'team'!
Zak has a bright future further up the tree, this may yet be with Pompey. Motivation at his age? That shouldn't be a problem really.
Interestingly it has gone quiet regarding the so called family issue that prevented him playing on Tuesday.
Cynically I might read more into it that he was dropped for Rafferty and ended up throwing his toys out of the pram and was then subsequently Mousinho dropped him from the squad. I really hope it was as Mousinho said. If he was dropped I would understand his response after the way he played at Derby.
He comes across as an intelligent player who will only improve.

It's great to enjoy this competition throughout the team.

Just think of our forward / attacking midfield, options if everyone is fit.
(22-09-2023, 02:08 PM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]Interestingly it has gone quiet regarding the so called family issue that prevented him playing on Tuesday.
Cynically I might read more into it that he was dropped for Rafferty and ended up throwing his toys out of the pram and was then subsequently Mousinho dropped him from the squad. I really hope it was as Mousinho said. If he was dropped I would understand his response after the way he played at Derby.

In what way has it "gone quiet" ... what would you expect to hear ? The details of his family issue ?

Do you really think JM would lie about the family problem knowing the player could deny it at any time ? That would be a sure fire way of losing the entire dressing room.
Deep, you will know that John M is more sensible than to throw out 'propaganda' excuses.

I don't anticipate to learn about every last (personal) issue that affects the club and /or the players.

All that we,Pompey fans, should demand is the up front story re injuries and........... if players do have a 'personal issue' then we must TRUST the manager and staff on that, and leave it there.

Would anyone like to have " family issues " kited all over the chat site ?
Not over this one, that's for sure
(22-09-2023, 04:52 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Deep, you will know that John M is more sensible than to throw out 'propaganda' excuses.

I don't anticipate to learn about every last (personal) issue that affects the club and /or the players.

All that we,Pompey fans,  should demand is the up front story re injuries and...........  if players do have a 'personal issue' then we must TRUST the manager and staff on that, and leave it there.

Would anyone like to have " family issues " kited all over the chat site ?

Surely you should have addressed that to Bluebob, not me.  You are agreeing with me.
Deep, indeed I am totally agreeing with you.

The 'follow on' comments were intended to be a subtle 'add on ' to your suggestion of peace and concord in the dressing room, and not read too much into apparent silence on certain issues.

Sorry, if it was misunderstood, however, you may note that my 'follow up' comments were addressing issues made by a.n. other ( ie Bluebob) .
I actually agree with Deeps reply and believe that is the case. I was only stating a cynical viewpoint.
With Ogilvie looking likely to miss the Wigan game and Sparkes looking not so convincing defensively, there is some talk amongst Pompey fans of playing Swanson at left back. I'm notnconvinced by the idea myself and it would look like a big snub to Sparkes.
Never heard that amongst anyone where I sit or pre match drink. Sparkes will be OK plus we have Vincent if we need him. I couldn't even fathom a reason why we would play Swanson there.
(18-09-2023, 01:55 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]If ( if only), selection was based on fairness then Swanson should be picked and up to Rafferty to get his place back. After all Swanson was MOTM ( for Pompey at least), so replacing him would be a right kick in the Henry’s for him.

I think swanson is the better defender but rafferty is the best creatively  - if he's in the mood.

I know the solution '- drop both and resign Drew Talbot.
I'd rather we have a younger Ben Davies