TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Team Today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Seeing out games when we have that one goal lead is a definite area we need to improve on. We ended the Exeter and Barnsley games and this game under the cosh a bit and certainly Exeter and Lincoln had very good chances to equalise. We could help ourselves on that front by taking chances to put the game to bed or catch teams on the counter more effectively.
I think we need to just celebrate the fact we beat a team that came to Fratton looking to ‘park the bus’. Most of our 20 match in League One unbeaten run has come from draws against teams looking to sit back and get a draw and succeeding. This ability to beat teams that sit back hasn’t been a regular thing and this should give the lads confidence that we can now do this against these sort of teams
(23-09-2023, 07:23 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]I think we need to just celebrate the fact we beat a team that came to Fratton looking to ‘park the bus’. Most of our 20 match in League One unbeaten run has come from draws against teams looking to sit back and get a draw and succeeding. This ability to beat teams that sit back hasn’t been a regular thing and this should give the lads confidence that we can now do this against these sort of teams

Did you watch the game? They didn't park the bus, they had only 1 shot less than us and actually 1 more on target!!
(23-09-2023, 08:05 PM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-09-2023, 07:23 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]I think we need to just celebrate the fact we beat a team that came to Fratton looking to ‘park the bus’. Most of our 20 match in League One unbeaten run has come from draws against teams looking to sit back and get a draw and succeeding. This ability to beat teams that sit back hasn’t been a regular thing and this should give the lads confidence that we can now do this against these sort of teams

Did you watch the game? They didn't park the bus, they had only 1 shot less than us and actually 1 more on target!!
We had over 350 passes in the first half to their 150. They set out their stall to stymie our attacks and yes I did watch the game
(23-09-2023, 08:14 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: [ -> ]

We had over 350 passes in the first half to their 150. They set out their stall to stymie our attacks and yes I did watch the game

Sorry Ozzie, but your reply makes even less sense. So they had more shots on goal with less than half the number of passes! That tells you something, and it's not that they came to park the bus.  I fully agree with one of your comments on the other stream!
We finished the game with 677 passes to their 323 and 68% possession to their 32%. We only had one more shots on goal due to their successful sitting back and absorbing pressure and their 10 shots were almost all on the counter attack

Counting shots doesn't really tell much of the story. The modern metric of choice is XG (not perfect in itself admittedly and it was something luke 0.7 to 0.3 in our favour. So not a great effort from either side really but we looked a fair bit better for much of an admittedly not great game.
Shots on the counter attack means sitting back and hitting the opponent on the break and that was their game plan. It’s how they scored their goal for a start
Pages: 1 2