TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Oxford
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Look to be contenders.
I couldn't care less as long as we both break away from the rest and today we got a sniff of a 4 point advantage.
As long as we maintain that, we are good.
Nov 18, the first match, at theirs.

I’d sooner play them away first.
That's an international weekend. Just as with Northampton away, Oxford away will have to be rearranged!
Grrrrr
How many tickets might we get for Oxford away?
(01-10-2023, 06:17 AM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]How many tickets might we get for Oxford away?

Didn't worry about that years ago, just clambered over the fence Big Grin
About 2000 tickets.
I want a good result at Oxford away.

That's where the wheels started to fall off for us under that Jackett in that 2018/19 season and we had some weird team selections - Pitman on the bench, Wheeler on the wing. Incidently, both Wyte and Mousinho started against us that day. If you would have told me that the next best chance of promotion would be with one of them managing us and the other playing for us I would have choked and died laughing on my chicken balti pie.

I want that demon to be exorcised and (another, by then, hopefully) three point gap between them and us in Pompey's favour.

Football loves its ironies however, and Oxford will want to give us a hiding for taking Mousinho and make it an unhappy return for him.
Us and Oxford have had some real tussles, usually at the top of this league or the one above, for as long as I've been supporting.
They have had some genuinely impressive wins. Manning is rebuilding his reputation after the wheels came off so spectacularly in his second season at MK Dons. They've got goals galore in them.

After 10 games I would say that us, them and Bolton look like serious automatic promotion contenders. Peterborough will be there or thereabouts too whereas Derby have had a sluggish start and other contenders can't find any consistency.
I believe the second season at Mk he saw all the bet players sold and not replaced.
Shame for him and them as they were a seriously tough team to beat.
And it looks good for Rich Hughes that the managers he whittled down to the final two stage in the manager hunt process after Cowley are now managing the top two.
I know it's a bit early in the season but for this game we should hire a santa lookalike and bring Alan Biley out of retirement!
Certainly get Biley along or an appearance at half time!
I bet he would be up for wearing a santa suit too!
(02-10-2023, 11:37 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]I know it's a bit early in the season but for this game we should hire a santa lookalike and bring Alan Biley out of retirement!

My favourite game ever!
1-1 with 90th min Biley equaliser. 
Straight from kick off we win ball and Hilaire won a corner. Kennedy takes it short, days a player and crosses to back stick where Biley scores his 2nd in a min.
Cue limbs and noise, a rush from the back of the fratton end that sent me over the white wall halfway up the fratton end and I broke my arm in the fall. I was so happy that night.
Even then oxford through Hamilton hit the crossbar with virtually the last kick.
We went top that night for Xmas!
(02-10-2023, 11:37 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]I know it's a bit early in the season but for this game we should hire a santa lookalike and bring Alan Biley out of retirement!

My favourite game ever!
Straight from kick off we win ball and Hilaire won a corner. Kennedy takes it short, days a player and crosses to back stick where Biley scores his 2nd in a min.
Cue limbs and noise, a rush from the back of the fratton end that sent me over the white wall halfway up the fratton end and I broke my arm in the fall. I was so happy that night.
Even then oxford through Hamilton hit the crossbar with virtually the last kick.
I think we have played Oxford utd more times than any other club in our history.
I like the idea of Alan making some sort of appearance but it's at their place so they might not want to do that.
However, as it's an international weekend and the fixture might have to be rearranged, there is every possibility it could eventually happen on a Tuesday night around Christmas.
(03-10-2023, 12:55 AM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]

My favourite game ever!
I think we have played Oxford utd more times than any other club in our history.

The second goal was one of those rare goals you knew was in when it left the assister's foot. As soon as Kennedy played it, you looked across and Bailey was already shaping to head it into the top corner. Standing on the North Terrace made this easier to see.
(03-10-2023, 08:58 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2023, 12:55 AM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]

My favourite game ever!

The second goal was one of those rare goals you knew was in when it left the assister's foot. As soon as Kennedy played it, you looked across and Biley was already shaping to head it into the top corner. Standing on the North Terrace made this easier to see.
A year is a long time in football.

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2022/october...0Wanderers.
"I think we have played Oxford utd more times than any other club in our history".

I would've thought Charlton Athletic actually.
I bet there's a dozen or more teams we've played a lot more often than Oxford. Headington/Oxford only entered the league in the 1960s.

Obvious ones are Charlton, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, both Sheffield clubs, probably Derby and Bolton, maybe Huddersfield etc?
I can't find the site but was surprised to read it was oxford. Given that wS a few years ago, maybe 5. We are still playing them and will stick my money on them!
Pompeyrama track this. Charlton and Sunderland are up there
(03-10-2023, 10:39 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: [ -> ]A year is a long time in football.

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2022/october...0Wanderers.

Mousinho's hairdresser must have the easiest job going. Same haircut every time.
Pages: 1 2