TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Yesterday's ratings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It was very much a game of two halves, so my ratings get split between the halves

Norris 7-7  Did nothing wrong, one good save, decent distribution, but will never get a luckier clean sheet cos Port Vale's finishing was awful. 
Rafferty 7-7 Solid as ever, and yet another assist. 
Raggett 6-7 Looked understandably nervous in first half but grew into the game and added attacking threat in the second half. Would no doubt have scored with one of his headers if I hadn't put money on him scoring. 
Shaughnessy 6-8 Twice let the forward in behind him from long balls in the first half and looked unsure of where he should be alongside Raggett, but restored to normal imperious self in the second. 
Sparkes 5-8 Dreadful first half, nothing went right for him but very good in the second. His crosses and corners both improved dramatically.  When confident he is a better defender than  people give him credit for, not just a decent crosser of the ball. 
Morrell 6-8 Played far too safe in the first but drove the team on well in the second. Seems to have a steely determination to get promotion this year (along with Pack). 
Stevenson 6-7 Looked nervous and again played far too safe in the first half, bit better in the second but overall did a half-decent job of a job that didn't really need doing. We did not need two midfielders playing that deep in this game. 
Lane 6-5 I might be being a bit harsh, but apart from a couple of first half runs that came to nothing he was not in the game yesterday, and he also missed a simple headed chance in the first half. 
Saydee 6-7 A couple of flashes but no end product in the first half, much more effective in the second but I still think he's better coming off the bench than starting. After an hour I was thinking we could do with bringing Saydee on.
Kamara 4-5 Made no effort to get involved in the game, even to the extent of hiding from receiving the ball at throw ins. Playing like a player who thinks he has made it as a first team regular and doesnt need to try hard any more. 
Bishop 8-9  Says it all that he was virtually the only contender for MOTM. Led the line superbly getting no help from the ref as usual and then popped up with the winning goals. We owe the three points to him virtually alone. 

subs
Devlin 7 I like him more every time I see him, gets involved and defends well too. 
Whyte 7 Nearly set up a goal with his first touch and went on to do more in 20 mins than Lane & Kamara did all game. Time for a recall I think. 
Yengi - not on long enough (would have liked to have seen him replace kamara much earlier) 

Crowd 6-8 quiet as a mouse until we took the lead, but at least not as critical as it could have been given how poor the first half performance. 

Mousinho 5-7  Got a bit lucky yesterday I think (especially with Port Vale's poor finishing) but this team is not playing as well as it can and he seems to recognise that, but is top of the league. That is a fantastic position to be in because if they improve as the season goes on, which I think they will, they will take some stopping.
Just seen the highlights and two more comments .... 

what a superb cross from Sparkes for the first goal 

and was Bishop offside for the first goal with the keeper being off the line ?  Not that anyone cares.  It was certainly very close.
I thought that too, Deep. Seemed to be only one player between him and the goal when Rafferty shot. Anyway, we've been getting the breaks this year, `bout time!
Cannot disagree with any of those ratings especially Kamara. Also agree Yengi should have come on earlier for Kamara.
Sitting level, I too thought he was off-side, but the linesperson missed it.
as regards lane and kamara
Quite possibly three games in a week is too much for the pair of them?
They are both at their best when buzzing about and doing a lot of running.
Harsh to drop wither but maybe with Whyte on then bench and Devlin, one or both could have been genuinely rested.
I thought Lane played well
(08-10-2023, 01:43 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]Sitting level, I too thought he was off-side, but the linesperson missed it.

Though as far as I could see, no Vale players seemed to raise their arms to appeal, which you normally get when opponents are clearly offside.  And most of the time when they're not, too.
(08-10-2023, 11:53 PM)SouthseaBubble Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2023, 01:43 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]Sitting level, I too thought he was off-side, but the linesperson missed it.

Though as far as I could see, no Vale players seemed to raise their arms to appeal, which you normally get when opponents are clearly offside.  And most of the time when they're not, too.

I think their RB played him onside.
I like Kamara but he only seems to be involved once he gets the ball. Most of the time he's very aloof.
(09-10-2023, 06:39 AM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2023, 11:53 PM)SouthseaBubble Wrote: [ -> ]

I think their RB played him onside.

Quite possibly. He may have been out of my natural view, but in the linesperson's.
If the RB is  the one on the left of the picture, then he looks nearer the 6 yard than Bishop when Rafferty hits it.  

Looks to me like we've finally got some payback for Ormondroyde !
(09-10-2023, 02:00 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]If the RB is  the one on the left of the picture, then he looks nearer the 6 yard than Bishop when Rafferty hits it.  

Seems like you harbour a longtime grudge. Smile
(09-10-2023, 05:55 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2023, 02:00 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]If the RB is  the one on the left of the picture, then he looks nearer the 6 yard than Bishop when Rafferty hits it.  

Seems like you harbour a longtime grudge. Smile

Yep ! It was the worst refereeing decision we've ever suffered in terms of importance to the club.  No comfort that Roger Milford dined out on stories of it being his worst mistake.  But that was the same circumstances with the keeper being way off his line and a defender on the line. 

The only other one that came close was Graham Poll disallowing a goal for offside against Arsenal that would have put us into Europe if it had been given as it should have been cos it was played to our player (Hughes?) by a defender.