TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Next 3 games Pompey/Oxford head to head
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
On paper there's far more possibility of Oxford dropping a point or two than us in the next three fixtures. Come the end of October it would be great to increase that cushion to over 3 points before we play them in November.

PUP
Just keep on keeping on
Still confused. Are people sure that the Oxford game will go ahead as it coincides with the the third international break.
(11-10-2023, 02:51 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]On paper there's far more possibility of Oxford dropping a point or two than us in the next three fixtures. Come the end of October it would be great to increase that cushion to over 3 points before we play them in November.

PUP

It appears that Oxford are every bit as good as us and may even be better. Dropping points is not a common trait of a top team.
Ah but we have a moose who knows Oxford inside out. Smart money would be on us to beat them. 

I'm in danger of enjoying the season so far  Big Grin
Two way street on Mous
Well with two games to go we've stretched the lead to four points. Next up Oxford have Wycombe at home whilst we go to Reading. I'd back us as more likely to come away with the three points than Oxford who may just get held to a draw.
(26-10-2023, 01:48 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]Well with two games to go we've stretched the lead to four points. Next up Oxford have Wycombe at home whilst we go to Reading. I'd back us as more likely to come away with the three points than Oxford who may just get held to a draw.

Scoring a goal is proving a little difficult at the moment.
We're unbeaten and we nicked Mous just before they sacked the bin dipper, so the script is written for them to get some revenge and give us our first loss of the season.

Let's hope that we're 7 points or so ahead by the time we play them
I'm not that worried about Oxford. I think they will fade, I just hope we don't do the same. Barnsley, Blackpool and Bolton are more dangerous IMO. Got to keep going at our current points per game rate for a fair while I feel.
Bolton, still to play, until we do, then hard to rate them fully.
Much as I am against international breaks, a week off would be a bit longer to get our players fit.
I’ve been banging on about it since the season started. We need to hammer someone, give them a real dicking. It’s what top teams do and we haven’t done it yet.
We have a fantastic defence and that has got us to where we are. We are playing pretty well too but we’re not being clinical enough where it matters. Can’t rely on Colby every game and it’s unreasonable to shoulder all the responsibility onto him.
(27-10-2023, 05:56 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I’ve been banging on about it since the season started. We need to hammer someone, give them a real dicking. It’s what top teams do and we haven’t done it yet.
We have a fantastic defence and that has got us to where we are. We are playing pretty well too but we’re not being clinical enough where it matters. Can’t rely on Colby every game and it’s unreasonable to shoulder all the responsibility onto him.

I'd say we hammered Orient ... who have done quite well since we beat them
(27-10-2023, 10:06 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-10-2023, 05:56 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I’ve been banging on about it since the season started. We need to hammer someone, give them a real dicking. It’s what top teams do and we haven’t done it yet.

I'd say we hammered Orient ... who have done quite well since we beat them

We really didn’t. It was a very flattering score line.
Keep the faith on our goalscoring.

Just inches ... and the post have worked against us recently - it happens and must be anticipated over a season.

However, I look forward to watching Colby hit the net tomorrow.
Bolton have now caught Oxford, who would have lost today were it not a last minute penalty. No wins in the last three for them now.

We hammered Barnsley for 45, then took our foot off the gas. That's been the pinnacle of the season so far for me. The boys should spend every waking hour working out how to achieve that performance again. We were unstoppable.
Arsenal never used to hammer anybody, but win 1:0 every week and you win leagues!
Actually keep clean sheets and you win championships, the top side almost always concede the fewest goals.
Wasn't it you Hammie that said we need to hammer someone?
(26-10-2023, 01:48 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]Well with two games to go we've stretched the lead to four points. Next up Oxford have Wycombe at home whilst we go to Reading. I'd back us as more likely to come away with the three points than Oxford who may just get held to a draw.

Big Grin

*That's a broad grin of recognition. Looking at the rest of the available emojis, it appears I'm uncontrollably laughing.
I wish I'd put money on it.
Teams we haven't played and up next
Can't see many teams on that list to be afraid of, but they won't be pushovers 
Maintaining our league position is a priority for me and hoping the team stays fit
 for the 4 games, 23rd Dec - 1st Jan

A Northampton  (rearrange)
H Charlton Athletic
A Oxford United (international week) *Will this be played?
H Blackpool
A Burton Albion
H Bolton
A Shrewsbury Town
H Fleetwood
In fairness, it was only an astonishingly good performance from Button, yesterday, that stopped us from hammering Reading.

On the other hand, if Smith hadn’t provided the game with his own brand of comedy, we could well have suffered our first defeat of the season

It seems we are destined to have to grind out results in spite of our superior performances.
So be it if it means promotion in May
To my mind you do NOT assess any opponent as dangerous , or conversely - pushovers.

No such thing - while we are at the summit of league 1 then every team, especially the teams at the bottom will raise their game when they face us. (eg Cambridge and Tennis club Reading )

However, I Believe John M has them grounded and will take one game at a time. Chesterfield will be stern opponents, but at the blink of any eye would take a defeat against us if it guaranteed them Promotion to league two this season.

And, probably we would accept defeat if it meant promotion to the Championship !
Pages: 1 2