TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Bored by the enforced international break?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
....well I am!

However, whereas I'd normally be looking forward to Pompey's next game on Saturday, instead I got to thinking about where we are as a Club....
  • On the pitch - well, we can have few complaints with 28 points from a possible 36, and undefeated since Noah built the Ark! The squad also has depth as was evident against Port Vale, and we are slowly developing a style of play which (for the most part) is good to watch.
  • Fratton Park - no question, looking the best I've ever seen it! New seating, a proper looking Milton End, huge improvements to the toilets, concession areas etc, and overall, a stadium worthy of Championship football (just need to get the TV camera gantry sorted please!)
  • Stability and togetherness - for me there is a real sense that the Club is being run on a sound business platform, with a clear sense of purpose and real togetherness both on, and crucially, off the pitch where everyone seems to know their role. Compare PFC to Sheffield Wed.....promoted just 5 months ago but now a Club ripping itself apart and heading backwards.

Whilst JM and the Team are rightly getting the plaudits for the results on the pitch, HUGE credit must go to the Eisner's. They may not be as glamourous as the Owners of Wrexham, or headline grabbing like Birmingham's Owners, but under their quiet / steady ownership Pompey are in a really good place right now.

So, let's re-charge during this enforced international break and then push on again for the rest of the Season!!
For me "Mostly" the floodlights still need a bit of an upgrade - maybe at the same time as the tv GANTRY ?
Strange there hasn’t been any more planes flying over FP.
Yeah, where have all the moaners and ‘no ambition’ merchants gone?
I've stopped comparing this season to last season now. We were top in December in the 20/21 season but didn't look anything like as convincing as now. I would make an argument for this team being stronger than that 18/19 one (although there are of course various players from that team I would have in this).
(12-10-2023, 11:04 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, where have all the moaners and ‘no ambition’ merchants gone?

They’re hiding with the ones who slagged off every single signing and making an Oxford defender ‘manager’.
(12-10-2023, 12:51 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-10-2023, 11:04 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, where have all the moaners and ‘no ambition’ merchants gone?

They’re hiding with the ones who slagged off every single signing and making an Oxford defender ‘manager’.
In all fairness it looked a fairly unambitious appointment at the time,but I don't think I will ever see another Pompey manager beat his unbeaten run, whenever it ends, if it ends under him.I say that because there must now be teams from championship having a look at him
Hateley83 wasn't it?
(12-10-2023, 03:43 PM)farq2 Wrote: [ -> ]

In all fairness it looked a fairly unambitious appointment at the time,but I don't think I will ever see another Pompey manager beat his unbeaten run, whenever it ends, if it ends under him.I say that because there must now be teams from championship having a look at him

.....and that would be a real "stress test" for Pompey if a Championship club came calling, say, in January. 

By "stress test" I mean that, given how professionally everything seems to now be set up at FP, I can't imagine that there weren't discussions with JM at interview stage about just such a scenario.

I'm hoping it's been agreed between the Club and JM that unless it's a Premiership Club that comes knocking, then we keep everyone together and get PFC established as a solid Championship team before then agreeing what the next stage of the process should be.
That sounds fantastic Sunny, an established Championship team. Let's see if he can get us promoted first, don't run before you can walk!
and an international break to play a friendly against Gibraltar?
I don't mind hugely for competitive games but for a friendly, not thanks.
(12-10-2023, 04:23 PM)Mostlysunny Wrote: [ -> ]

.....and that would be a real "stress test" for Pompey if a Championship club came calling, say, in January. 

By "stress test" I mean that, given how professionally everything seems to now be set up at FP, I can't imagine that there weren't discussions with JM at interview stage about just such a scenario.

I'm hoping it's been agreed between the Club and JM that unless it's a Premiership Club that comes knocking, then we keep everyone together and get PFC established as a solid Championship team before then agreeing what the next stage of the process should be.

There won’t be any teams knocking yet. Cowley got us top and he’s now begging for a job.

There’s no reason for him to leave and I’m sure he won’t for a long while
(12-10-2023, 04:23 PM)Mostlysunny Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't think at this early stage there will be that much interest from him from Championship clubs. He would also be unlikely to leave for a struggling championship club given he is at a promotion contending club and could end up in the same division or even a division below Pompey next season. Michael Appleton was highly rated but had a habit of making dismal choices, joining clubs on the decline.
And let's hope we are still flying when the new corner is finished and we can get home fans in the Milton End. That will be a great addition. Before Christmas? Then all we need is network rail to come on board to join up the dots.
I doubt the NWR thing will ever happen
(13-10-2023, 11:14 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt the NWR thing will ever happen

Having traveled up the west coast mail line a year ago. The fast rail thing is a complete vanity project. 
Even a local labour MP came out and said the money would have been far better spent on improving local rail services. 
I wonder what % of the money wasted would have paid for a footbridge?
Ref thread title, I'm really looking forward to not watching England v Australia tonight. Should be a good film.
....or sorting out my collection of Pompey programmes from the 80's and 90's!