TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: standing seating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So the rail seats are in and more planned.
The club threatened with reduced capacity.
Do you think the authorities will next head for the Kings and the Guldhall, to enforce no standing when they have musical acts in?
I haven't heard anything about reduced capacity threats. The club have said that that may have happened if there was persistent standing in the FE, however the rail seats have cleared that hurdle and the club may look at installing more in the future.however, the next FE task appears to be in replacing the remaining proper seats to give the stand a face lift ( it'll mean losing the caricature of of Gentleman Jim and the out of date Pompey crest).
(14-10-2023, 04:11 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't heard anything about reduced capacity threats. The club have said that that may have happened if there was persistent standing in the FE, however the rail seats have cleared that hurdle and the club may look at installing more in the future.however, the next FE task appears to be in replacing the remaining proper seats to give the stand a face lift ( it'll mean losing the caricature of  of Gentleman Jim and the out of date Pompey crest).

in that report it actually mentions the threat of reduced capacity. Personally I rather like the mix of seting with standing behind. Back to the roots of much of the ground's original design
A bit uncomfortable, as seating, it’s reported.

https://youtu.be/KLXsKhP-B0o?si=MxNelMOiXwcAOMX6
(15-10-2023, 05:31 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]A bit uncomfortable, as seating, it’s reported.

Well most people in ‘safe standing’ areas don’t spend a lot of time sitting anyway do they?

I’m in the Fratton End and the rail seats haven’t come down as far as us but I’ll be happy if they do. 

The whole thing is only about 2 hours anyway and I spend half time wandering round the back of the stand (as many others do), so I only sit down for half the time max. I’m not expecting 5 star comfort, it’s a football match ffs. 

If people are unable or unwilling to stand, there are other seats available.
(15-10-2023, 05:31 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]A bit uncomfortable, as seating, it’s reported.

Watched that video in full. Quite enjoyable watching a likeable Gills fan's perspective on the game and the ground.
I would recommend watching it too.
A proper fan's perspective .
I like his league table of the price of a coke and mars bar! We are mid table incidentally.
For those who right off the EFL trophy, its worth watching too. He goes from not liking it at all, to getting involved, enjoying the game and making some good suggestions to improve it.
The bit about the bar in the back of your neck being uncomfortable was interesting. Making me even more in favour of standing at the back and seating towards the front. Better for us older types who venture away and much better for children who simply cannot see if everyone in front of them is standing. Thy don't have the option as on old terracing of "going down the front"
(15-10-2023, 10:22 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I would recommend watching it too.
A proper fan's perspective .
I like his league table of the price of a coke and mars bar! We are mid table incidentally.
For those who right off the EFL trophy, its worth watching too. He goes from not liking it at all, to getting involved, enjoying the game and making some good suggestions to improve it.
The bit about the bar in the back of your neck being uncomfortable was interesting. Making me even more in favour of standing at the back and seating towards the front. Better for us older types who venture away and much better for children who simply cannot see if everyone in front of them is standing. Thy don't have the option as on old terracing of "going down the front"

I did watch the whole video Hammie and I agree that it was an enjoyable watch.

As for ‘older types’, I fit into that category but still prefer standing. If I get to the stage where I can’t then I’ll have to move, simple as that.
> If people are unable or unwilling to stand, there are other seats available.<
If people are unwilling to sit or unable to sit ( Norbert’s?), there are rail seats available, don’t see why it’s a problem. Top half of FE rail, lower half, proper seats.
(15-10-2023, 09:57 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]

Well most people in ‘safe standing’ areas don’t spend a lot of time sitting anyway do they?

I’m in the Fratton End and the rail seats haven’t come down as far as us but I’ll be happy if they do. 

The whole thing is only about 2 hours anyway and I spend half time wandering round the back of the stand (as many others do), so I only sit down for half the time max. I’m not expecting 5 star comfort, it’s a football match ffs. 

Bully for you. Thanks for giving your usual valued opinion.

Meanwhile, for anyone who has thought about trying it out, there is now information out there which may influence where they choose to position themselves in the ground.
(15-10-2023, 01:57 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]> If people are unable or unwilling to stand, there are other seats available.<
If people are unwilling to sit or unable to sit ( Norbert’s?), there are rail seats available, don’t see why it’s a problem. Top half of FE rail, lower half, proper seats.

Which seems perfect for us. 
The Milton end is entirely rail seats, so will they all be locked as standing for away fans? Not sure that has or has not been confirmed. 
I would personally like to see the front rows seated to provide for those who cannot stand, and kids as mentioned. 
But, as the video said they are not at all comfortable to sit in cos of the standing bar behind your head.
I find it strange they’ve made the whole of the ME rail seats, must be due to away fans always standing ( like Pompey fans mostly do when away), or else for a slight increase in capacity.
(15-10-2023, 03:39 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I find it strange they’ve made the whole of the ME rail seats, must be due to away fans always standing ( like Pompey fans mostly do when away), or else for a slight increase in capacity.

cost a lot more and little extra capacity. Shame really, standing is forced on some fans by people standing in the front rows. A bit of each looked great at Shrewsbury and would seem to help everyone enjoy the trip. 
I do think away fans from all clubs deserve looking after.
(15-10-2023, 02:47 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

Meanwhile, for anyone who has thought about trying it out, there is now information out there which may influence where they choose to position themselves in the ground.

I take it my ‘valued opinion’ does not coincide with yours then?

No need to get all touchy about it, we’re talking about seats at a football ground ffs.
(15-10-2023, 03:42 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]

No need to get all touchy about it, we’re talking about seats at a football ground ffs.

and seeing some of our more senior fans struggling to get to the ground, let alone stand up for a couple of hours, I do think, "that's me in a decade or so"

‘Talking about’,  for you, consists of inflicting your opinion on everyone else with little or scant regard for the thoughts of others. You do this in a manner that tries to belittle others opinions, possible infirmities or sensitivities. It isn’t to say that I necessarily disagree with the content of your posts but I am quite sure of this, you are not the type to express your views in this manner face to face. I dare say the internet has provided people like you with a much needed shield wall to be able to condescend from behind (FFS).

You really have no idea of how to debate a subject and you certainly do not have the nouse to try and persuade someone that you may be right. Your oft repeated (and always announced) flounces, betray your desperate need for your opinions to be heard. Your unfailing returns really make you a laughing stock.

As to your question… your ‘valued opinion’ largely does coincide with mine. I would have put it rather differently.

Yes, we are talking about seats at a football ground, so try toning down the way you express yourself, ‘Ffs’.
.....before you guys get too pissed off with each other, and returning to the original thread....

I don't understand why football has been singled out by the H&S brigade for railed seating?

The introduction of all seater stadiums which came about as a result of a number of tragic events (most notably Hillsborough) has undoubtedly and significantly improved safety as well as eradicated much of the mindless hooliganism that was once the scourge of English football in the 70's / 80's. So what does railed seating add? How many incidents have there been of spectators falling to their death when standing at their seat? And if standing is considered such a high risk, then why don't the Authorities impose the same requirement at Twickenham or the O2??

For me it's yet another examples of the Nanny State over stepping the mark.
(15-10-2023, 04:18 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

‘Talking about’,  for you, consists of inflicting your opinion on everyone else with little or scant regard for the thoughts of others. You do this in a manner that tries to belittle others opinions, possible infirmities or sensitivities. It isn’t to say that I necessarily disagree with the content of your posts but I am quite sure of this, you are not the type to express your views in this manner face to face. I dare say the internet has provided people like you with a much needed shield wall to be able to condescend from behind (FFS).

You really have no idea of how to debate a subject and you certainly do not have the nouse to try and persuade someone that you may be right. Your oft repeated (and always announced) flounces, betray your desperate need for your opinions to be heard. Your unfailing returns really make you a laughing stock.

As to your question… your ‘valued opinion’ largely does coincide with mine. I would have put it rather differently.

Yes, we are talking about seats at a football ground, so try toning down the way you express yourself, ‘Ffs’.

I’ll express myself any way I fucking like thanks.

If you want to sit, go to an area of the ground where people sit most of the time, it’s that simple isn’t it?

There are a lot of us who mourn terraces, rail seats are a poor alternative but we’ll take what we can get.
I suggest those who don’t should do the same.

FFS Big Grin
"There are a lot of us who mourn terraces, rail seats are a poor alternative but we’ll take what we can get.
I suggest those who don’t should do the same."
In the Fratton End we can do that
A bit surprised that the away fans or those left with no ticket options but the Milton End have not been given the same mix. If one does not have a season ticket, then at present, you have to take a few tickets where you can get them. To me that seems as if the club have spent money on rail seats that might have been done cheaper. I guess it is cos it is hard to prevent away fans standing in the front rows even when that makes life hard for those behind them especially children or us older fans.
Hopefully with the Milton end reopening and our capacity up to 21k from less than 18K, those who want to stand can budge around into the upper Fartton or Milton. This might leave a few more tickets available in groups of more that one, for those with commitments who cannot have an ST.
I do expect there to be some unpleasant confrontations as stewards have to enforce seating by those in the sit own parts. No doubt accompanied by screams of outrage online.
Personally i feel the main centre portion of the ME could be rail and the two side section could be all seater thereby giving people an option
(17-10-2023, 03:20 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-10-2023, 04:18 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-10-2023, 09:57 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]Well most people in ‘safe standing’ areas don’t spend a lot of time sitting anyway do they?

I’ll express myself any way I fucking like thanks.

If you want to sit, go to an area of the ground where people sit most of the time, it’s that simple isn’t it?

There are a lot of us who mourn terraces, rail seats are a poor alternative but we’ll take what we can get.
I suggest those who don’t should do the same.

FFS Big Grin

(17-10-2023, 04:18 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Personally i feel the main centre portion of the ME could be rail and the two side section could be all seater thereby giving people an option

far too sensible!
Except people sitting down a side section wouldn't be able to see the other side of the pitch as there'd be people standing in the middle section.

Just have the front few rows seated.
(17-10-2023, 03:53 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]"There are a lot of us who mourn terraces, rail seats are a poor alternative but we’ll take what we can get.
I suggest those who don’t should do the same."
In the Fratton End we can do that
A bit surprised that the away fans or those left with no ticket options but the Milton End have not been given the same mix. If one does not have a season ticket, then at present, you have to take a few tickets where you can get them. To me that seems as if the club have spent money on rail seats that might have been done cheaper. I guess it is cos it is hard to prevent away fans standing in the front rows even when that makes life hard for those behind them especially children or us older fans.
Hopefully with the Milton end reopening and our capacity up to 21k from less than 18K, those who want to stand can budge around into the upper Fartton or Milton. This might leave a few more tickets available in groups of more that one, for those with commitments who cannot have an ST.
I do expect there to be some unpleasant confrontations as stewards have to enforce seating by those in the sit own parts. No doubt accompanied by screams of outrage online.

Cullens said in an earlier post something about their needing to bea ratio of away ss areas to home ss areas. Anyway., the recent cullen update (worth a listen) says there is enough ss in the Fritton end for now. Hope they don't do anymore as I chose the fe for a reason and being kicked out and made to sit somewhere else coz their nostalgic about the 1980s isn't a good enough reason. There are plenty in the fe that don't stand all game.
There are plenty in the fe that don't stand all game.

or who don't want to but have been forced into it bu numpties standing all game near the front.