TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Ableist abuse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
One of the girls has been banned for eight games for ableist abuse. Unfortunately, the News doesn't say what it was, so we can't make a judgement. I'm sceptical that it was that serious.
(14-10-2023, 05:03 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]One of the girls has been banned for eight games for ableist abuse. Unfortunately, the News doesn't say what it was, so we can't make a judgement. I'm sceptical that it was that serious.

A chunk of the punishment will be due to her denial of the incident.  And being a scummer.
I’m more concerned at the requirement to go on a ‘re-programming’ course, very 1984 if you ask me.

Wtf is ‘ableist abuse’ anyway ffs?

You can’t force people to be nice, you can suggest to them that it’s a good idea but that is about it. 

If there have to be courses, I think a more useful one would be ‘how to grow a thick skin and ignore insults’ that would be a much better life skill.

She should be suspended for being a scummer of course  Big Grin .
It was while she was playing for Southampton. Obviously now she has moved up a social strata by playing for Portsmouth, she would never make further any "ist" abuse.
I did wonder what the punishment would be for breaking the other player's leg or laying them out with a Glasgow kiss.
3 matches for GBH
8 games for name calling?
Calling the ref blind?
Genuinely what is ableist abuse?
(15-10-2023, 02:24 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]Genuinely what is ableist abuse?

Dictionary type definition is 'using a disablity as an insult' . 

So calling someone a imbecile or a retard would probably qualify.
Gilles would be in trouble
(15-10-2023, 02:31 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Who would use such disgusting terms?!
does "big girl's blouse" count as fattist?

What if someone actually was one and the words weren’t just being used as an insult? 

Do those words provoke a bad reaction in all cases?
(15-10-2023, 04:34 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

What if someone actually was one and the words weren’t just being used as an insult? 

Do those words provoke a bad reaction in all cases?

I'd have said that the description 'using disability as an insult' answers that question.
(15-10-2023, 10:04 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]I’m more concerned at the requirement to go on a ‘re-programming’ course, very 1984 if you ask me.

You can’t force people to be nice, you can suggest to them that it’s a good idea but that is about it. 

If there have to be courses, I think a more useful one would be ‘how to grow a thick skin and ignore insults’ that would be a much better life skill.

Re-programming seems fair enough if it's reference her being a scummer. 

Also, should be careful - calling someone a scummer fits the definition of an ableist insult.
(15-10-2023, 05:13 PM)66zoolane Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-10-2023, 10:04 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]I’m more concerned at the requirement to go on a ‘re-programming’ course, very 1984 if you ask me.

Re-programming seems fair enough if it's reference her being a scummer. 

Also, should be careful - calling someone a scummer fits the definition of an ableist insult.

Fair points  Big Grin .
(14-10-2023, 05:03 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]One of the girls has been banned for eight games for ableist abuse. Unfortunately, the News doesn't say what it was, so we can't make a judgement. I'm sceptical that it was that serious.

Ooh another new offence invented. A victory for spineless wimps that can't handle an insult.
(15-10-2023, 06:13 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

Ooh another new offence invented. A victory for spineless wimps that can't handle an insult.

A curious statement from our resident twat!
Perhaps he too grew up with "sticks and stones....." being how we were expected to deal with life
Ffs this not being allowed to abuse people, particularly when they deserve it, just ain’t British. In two generations the residents of this country have been turned from Wolves to Poodles! We need to get back to being vile, it was our saving grace.
Wolves? don't thinks so. More like a crotchety labrador.
(17-10-2023, 09:31 AM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: [ -> ]Wolves? don't thinks so. More like a crotchety labrador.

Big Grin Only in the circles you moved in.
We get progressively weaker. While our opponents round the world get stringer and more ruthless. AND we pay them to do it by buying their oil, gas or cheap plastic toys!
Wolves? Why not West Brom or Brum?
(17-10-2023, 06:20 PM)Cressers Wrote: [ -> ]Wolves? Why not West Brom or Brum?

Must be a Freudian slip Big Grin
Could even be Villains
Pages: 1 2