TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Mike Williamson
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MK Dons have appointed Williamson as their new manager.

Am I right in thinking that we signed him back in the "carnage" years and sold him to Newcastle a week or two later without ever pulling on a Pompey shirt?

There were other bizarre transfers at that time but my memory is playing "silly-buggers". 

(Gekas springs to mind - played one minute for us?)

Any help gratefully accepted!
I could do a bit of shopping for you, if you like.
(18-10-2023, 09:11 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]MK Dons have appointed Williamson as their new manager.

Am I right in thinking that we signed him back in the "carnage" years and sold him to Newcastle a week or two later without ever pulling on a Pompey shirt?

There were other bizarre transfers at that time but my memory is playing "silly-buggers". 

(Gekas springs to mind - played one minute for us?)

Any help gratefully accepted!

He was here for several months but never played under two different managers.  The assumption was at the time that there must have been some clause that meant it cost us more if he played, but this was denied.  We lost at least a million when we sold him. Bizarre.
I have watched Gateshead a number of times in last 12 months, his attacking style is fantastic to watch. On every attack he has five pushed forward on the front line but as soon ascit breaksdown they all work so hard they get at least 9 back behind the ball. Great to watch and so entertaining. I think Gateshead would have been close to promotion this season. I hope he can make his style work in EFL.

We missed out big time on him as a player when you think we never played him yet he went to Newcastle and became a nailed on starter for a number of years.
It was during the Paul Hart years, the lad was never given a chance IMO. I must admit Paul Hart is up there with my least favourite Pompey managers of all time, a dinosaur and a useless tactician.
(19-10-2023, 12:13 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]It was during the Paul Hart years, the lad was never given a chance IMO. I must admit Paul Hart is up there with my least favourite Pompey managers of all time, a dinosaur and a useless tactician.

Probably better described as the Paul Hart months, but Avram Grant didn't pick him either and he knew his stuff.

There must have been some reason why he was never played, but I don't suppose we will find out now.
Paul Hart signed him from Championship Club Watford on 31st Aug 2009, rumoured to be £2m rising to £3m based on Premiership appearances. 

Avram Grant sold him to Championship Newcastle Utd on 27th January 2010.

It was rumoured at the time that even one Premiership appearance would have cost a shed load of money that we didn't have at the time.
God we were an absolute shambles back then. That FA cup run to the final was a miracle in the circumstances.