TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Morrell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The last few games have underlined for me what a fantastic asset we have in Joe Morrell. While the new boys are getting a lot of attention, we shouldn't forget what is inspiring many of our attacks. He is driving force in our engine room who gives 100 per cent every game - for the WHOLE game. Whether he's dropping deep to pick up the ball or providing a little one-touch link play furhter up field he is motoring at the same level from the first minute to the final minute. 
And credit to him and presumably Mousinho for reigning in his bookings.
For me, him and Sparkes have been the most influential figures in this amazing winning run.
Fully agree, and I used to be a critic of Morrell for his gobby mouth.
He has gone up a gear since last season, that and the team generally being better has made him absolutely immense in that midfield.
and yet when he gets sent off there are people on here saying we should get rid because he is a liability.
Captain fantastic right now
He’s been brilliant since day one. It was a bit of a coup getting him here IMO, he reminds me of Alan Ball. Can’t beat a gobby little Jack Russell type player.
(22-10-2023, 10:33 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]He’s been brilliant since day one. It was a bit of a coup getting him here IMO, he reminds me of Alan Ball. Can’t beat a gobby little Jack Russell type player.
Nothing wrong with being a bit gobby on the pitch, but last season he missed 6 matches through sending offs. Not much use to us when he can't play. His sending off against Turkey was a disgrace too. But this season he's been outstanding so hopefully learned his lesson, and seems to have taken well to captain responsibility while Pack is out. He was definitely my MOTM yesterday.
(22-10-2023, 11:34 AM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]
(22-10-2023, 10:33 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]He’s been brilliant since day one. It was a bit of a coup getting him here IMO, he reminds me of Alan Ball. Can’t beat a gobby little Jack Russell type player.
Nothing wrong with being a bit gobby on the pitch, but last season he missed 6 matches through sending offs. Not much use to us when he can't play. His sending off against Turkey was a disgrace too. But this season he's been outstanding so hopefully learned his lesson, and seems to have taken well to captain responsibility while Pack is out. He was definitely my MOTM yesterday.

He's been excellent of late. Thinking back Cowley did make some excellent signings in Bishop Pack Morrell Swanson Rafferty Towler and i think Ogilvie. Shame he couldn't getting them playing and kept mucking around with the format.

My attitude is that if he only misses 6 games per season through suspension then that it a small price to play for having such a good player in the team for the other 40 games.  Take the niggly aggression out of his game and he would only be half the player.
Getting the right players in around him has also been key. When he first signed, he had Shaun Williams in the midfield with him hammering overhit sideways passes into his shins from 10 yemards away. Going from that to having the likes of Pack, Robertson, Saydee and Anjorin in and around him at various points is a huge upgrade.
Making him captain looks a good decision.
I don't think anybody minds a player getting sent off except for two bad decisions quickly, as happened a couple of times.
Hopefully he has learnt, wants his Wales place back and is really trying hard to keep out of trouble.
I punched the air when we signed him having watched him for Wales. IMO our best player by some way.
(22-10-2023, 03:47 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: [ -> ]I punched the air when we signed him having watched him for Wales. IMO our best player by some way.

Even starting to think about which of this team could step up, he's probably one of those!
(22-10-2023, 03:53 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]
(22-10-2023, 03:47 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: [ -> ]I punched the air when we signed him having watched him for Wales. IMO our best player by some way.

Even starting to think about which of this team could step up, he's probably one of those!

IMO there are very few in this team who could not step up to the Championship. 

Norris, Rafferty, Swanson, Poole, Shaughnessy, Ogilvie, Sparkes, Pack, Morrell & Bishop to name but a few have all played there before or could clearly step up.  And others like Towler & Lane are young enough with the potential to grow into championship players.

And of course Robertson if we could get him back for another year.
(22-10-2023, 07:56 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]The last few games have underlined for me what a fantastic asset we have in Joe Morrell. While the new boys are getting a lot of attention, we shouldn't forget what is inspiring many of our attacks. He is driving force in our engine room who gives 100 per cent every game - for the WHOLE game. Whether he's dropping deep to pick up the ball or providing a little one-touch link play furhter up field he is motoring at the same level from the first minute to the final minute. 
For me, him and Sparkes have been the most influential figures in this amazing winning run.

He's been a different player since pack got injured. I don't think he's even been booked during the time either.
(22-10-2023, 12:53 PM)Northstandgeorge Wrote: [ -> ]

He's been excellent of late. Thinking back Cowley did make some excellent signings in Bishop Pack Morrell Swanson Rafferty Towler and i think Ogilvie. Shame he couldn't getting them playing and kept mucking around with the format.

Not Towler, but an excellent point. I wonder how he feels now seeing them click together.
Might not be too bothered though if he gets the Bradford job as seems likely.
(22-10-2023, 06:40 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]
(22-10-2023, 07:56 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]The last few games have underlined for me what a fantastic asset we have in Joe Morrell. While the new boys are getting a lot of attention, we shouldn't forget what is inspiring many of our attacks. He is driving force in our engine room who gives 100 per cent every game - for the WHOLE game. Whether he's dropping deep to pick up the ball or providing a little one-touch link play furhter up field he is motoring at the same level from the first minute to the final minute. 

He's been a different player since pack got injured. I don't think he's even been booked during the time either.

Disagree strongly.  Pack's only missed 4 the last games ... Morrell's been on top form all season, indeed it is his patnership with Pack that has put us top of the table IMO.
Totally agree - I did say a few posts ago that he was turning into a more mature and leading player.

A masterstroke by John M giving him the armband