TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Hard to please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(29-10-2023, 05:09 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Yes but what have the Eisners ever done for us?

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Foxley I can't see your Spitfire clearly but I'm going with Mk5?
(02-11-2023, 11:43 AM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Foxley I can't see your Spitfire clearly but I'm going with Mk5?

I'm not sure, just another image I have of the wonderful Spit (on my Desktop)
I had my number one bucket list two years ago when I actually flew in a two-seater Spitfire that was rebuilt at Biggin Hill Heritage site.......

https://www.intotheblue.co.uk/flying-exp...tfire%20CW

What a thrill that was.Big Grin
The two seat is a rebuilt mk9. It's got multiple exhaust stubs, a four blade rotol constant propeller and larger radiator boxes under the wings.
The Mk5 had a three bladed prop and just three exhaust stubs each side of the engine on the cowling.
Otherwise the 9 is remarkably similar yo the 5 using the same airframe.
I've worked on spitfires at both Westhampnett near Chichester which you see over the Solent daily and of a spitfire 14 from the IoW which is my favourite. It's an absolute racehorse and in a mock battle with a P51d mustang absolutely handed the mustang It's arse in both horizontal and vertical regimes. The spitfire was the better fighter but did not have the range of a mustang

Hope you enjoyed your flight
Yeah, You're right. I should've taken more time over it lol
The Mk9 was a favourite of pilots I believe.

You lucky man, I'd loved to have worked on a Spit.

Only because the P51 had drop tanks wasn't it?
Spitfires had drp tanks fitted to.
No it was the amalgamation of the drop tanks with a fuselage mounted 85 gallon fuel tank that gave it the range to go to Berlin.
Its centre of gravity was compromised until that tank was finished off. The mustang was particularly tricky to fly in that state. The spitfire by comparison and as you know, had no vices!
You learn something everyday, thanks for that Yak.
Is it true that the Spitfire got all the romantic accolades but the Hurricane was actually better?
(03-11-2023, 12:07 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Is it true that the Spitfire got all the romantic accolades but the Hurricane was actually better?

the Spit was faster and detailed in attacking the German BF 109's while the Hurricanes dealt with the bombers with great success.
The hurricanes shot down more planes than the Spit in the Battle of Britain But the German pilots were shit scared of Spits. lol
(03-11-2023, 12:44 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2023, 12:07 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Is it true that the Spitfire got all the romantic accolades but the Hurricane was actually better?

the Spit was faster and detailed to attack the German BF 109's while the Hurricanes dealt with the bombers with great success.
The hurricanes shot down more planes than the Spit, and the Gerry pilots were scared of them. lol

Not true Cunni, neither is it true that it shot down more aircraft than the Spitfire with the exception being the BoB where there was simply far more Hurricanes. RAF fighter squadrons only started getting Spitfire's in 1940. Hurricane's design was based on a bi plane. The rear fuselage was of struts covered with doped fabric. Hurricane was much heavier as well, the wings were far thicker which led to bigger drag. So its performance was limited. Comparing the 2 the Spitfire was classed as "a thorougbred", all metal design with thin eliptical wings. Both used the same Merlin engine but Spitfire had far better performance.
Hurricane because of its design had a limited update capability. Only 3 or 4 Mk's. Spitfire was developed & upgraded throughout ww2 with 24 Mk's.
All that said Hurricane was crucial as stated above as a deadly bomber killer. Both great aircraft.
and went on to be a very useful fighter bomber, very forgiving.
Also better for landing on a ship
(03-11-2023, 06:48 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]and went on to be a very useful fighter bomber, very forgiving.
Also better for landing on a ship

As far as i know Hammie, they were launched from ships via a cordite type rocket launch on a rail, it was a one way mission designed for a merchantman to ward off or down troublesome Focke Wolf Condor's. The pilot had to ditch near the convoy & hope he got picked up. Spitfire & even the Seafire's had such a narrow undercarriage it led to many accidents. But they successfully flew off carriers in the med. to Malta which was a huge help & paid a big part in the island surviving.
Not sure if a Hurricane ever landed on a ship?
As you say brilliant fighter bomber in the Desert War.
Quite interesting, all this.

I’ve learnt a lot (but I’m very easy to please).
(03-11-2023, 02:01 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2023, 12:44 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]

the Spit was faster and detailed to attack the German BF 109's while the Hurricanes dealt with the bombers with great success.
The hurricanes shot down more planes than the Spit, and the Gerry pilots were scared of them. lol

Not true Cunni, neither is it true that it shot down more aircraft than the Spitfire with the exception being the BoB where there was simply far more Hurricanes. RAF fighter squadrons only started getting Spitfire's in 1940. Hurricane's design was based on a bi plane. The rear fuselage was of struts covered with doped fabric. Hurricane was much heavier as well, the wings were far thicker which led to bigger drag. So its performance was limited. Comparing the 2 the Spitfire was classed as "a thorougbred", all metal design with thin eliptical wings. Both used the same Merlin engine but Spitfire had far better performance.
Hurricane because of its design had a limited update capability. Only 3 or 4 Mk's. Spitfire was developed & upgraded throughout ww2 with 24 Mk's.
All that said Hurricane was crucial as stated above as a deadly bomber killer. Both great aircraft.

My bad, I meant the Battle of Britain when I said about the Hurricanes downing more planes. Have edited it now. Big Grin
How much of this info is first hand and how much is just cribbed from the net?
(05-11-2023, 08:46 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]How much of this info is first hand and how much is just cribbed from the net?

In my case from books going back 50 or so years. I had  Bader's "Fight for The Sky" as a kid & more recently Geoffrey Wellum's First Light. They flew both so afaic they knew what they were on about.
Both well worth getting if you can. Wellum was just 19 during the BoB & was known as "the boy".
Both books are incredible testimonies.
No one has moaned about the change from footie to aviation yet  Big Grin
(05-11-2023, 11:33 AM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]No one has moaned about the change from footie to aviation yet  Big Grin

I will then. We want to keep expectations for the season grounded.
Pages: 1 2