TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The Charlton jinx!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OK, so we've got the FA Cup this coming weekend, and whereas a win would be good (but not essential) I'm far more concerned about the next league game against bloomin Charlton!

It seems to me that they have a real jinx over us, and regularly turn up at FP in no real form, only to turn us over again and again.

So do others have the same feeling of "please....not again!"....or are there any other Teams which people reckon have the old jinx over us??
Every team can say they hold sway and certainly, Charlton are our kryptonite!
We are Nottingham Forest's!
If only we could play them every week!
Still, back to it, yes let's smash that one out the park

Pompey 4-1 Charlton
Sheff utd away. Lost cause before we even kick off!
(02-11-2023, 06:36 PM)FiftyYearsOn Wrote: [ -> ]Sheff utd away. Lost cause before we even kick off!

Until Harry came along!
At least we kept a whole team on the pitch.

Strangely, for all that, Sheff Utd away was one of my favourite away trips.
Charlton just gives me the shudders.
Mind you, it also gives one of my favorite memories....George Graham nodding down to Nippy Norman to lash home an injury time equaliser in the FA Cup at the Valley circa '77. Place exploded in celebrations.
(02-11-2023, 07:54 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-11-2023, 06:36 PM)FiftyYearsOn Wrote: [ -> ]Sheff utd away. Lost cause before we even kick off!

Until Harry came along!
At least we kept a whole team on the pitch.

Strangely, for all that, Sheff Utd away was one of my favourite away trips.

For me, those giant chimneys are the signal you've reached the bleak North. Best bit of going north is going back south, with the sun ahead not behind.
(02-11-2023, 08:10 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Charlton just gives me the shudders.
Mind you, it also gives one of my favorite memories....George Graham nodding down to Nippy Norman to lash home an injury time equaliser in the FA Cup at the Valley circa '77. Place exploded in celebrations.

I remember that game. Pompey had 15,000 fans at the game with a 30,000 crowd.  Fans went bollistic!

Unfortunately, we lost the replay at FP 3-1 I think.
Charlton is very much a danger game. Risks the consecutive unbeaten record too... they broke 2 of the other top 10 unbeaten streaks in tier 2-4.
No such thing as a jinx, a load of superstitious twonk!

We’ve won 40 times and they edge it with 46. They’ve beaten us because we’ve played shit. If we play shit against them again then they’ll likely beat us again.

2-0
You look for signs in seasons like this. A win is a must
(03-11-2023, 12:00 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]No such thing as a jinx, a load of superstitious twonk!

We’ve won 40 times and they edge it with 46. They’ve beaten us because we’ve played shit. If we play shit against them again then they’ll likely beat us again.

2-0

I wouldn't call it a jinx either ... just that they always do well here. 

Last 7 games here have gone 1-2,0-1,0-1,1-2,0-2,1-2,1-3 . That's going to give them a lot of confidence coming here, which is very different from being a jinx. And that's a factor that could affect the result, but I think Mousinho's team is made of sterner stuff and we will win.

Deebo

Yeh, course we’ll win. Jinxes are made to be broken as the old adage goes. I think.
I seem to remember in my younger days travelling to Selhurst Park and seeing us lose 2-1 or worse on many occasions. Probably it wasn’t like that but it feels like it! However I did see us win there once.. cup 2nd replay against orient possibly?
(02-11-2023, 10:19 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-11-2023, 08:10 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Charlton just gives me the shudders.

I remember that game. Pompey had 15,000 fans at the game with a 30,000 crowd.  Fans went bollistic!

Unfortunately, we lost the replay at FP 3-1 I think.

I purposely didn't mention the replay.
What an anticlimax for Ian St John's army.
Thanks Mickey! Wink
(03-11-2023, 02:26 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2023, 12:00 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]No such thing as a jinx, a load of superstitious twonk!

2-0

Last 7 games here have gone 1-2,0-1,0-1,1-2,0-2,1-2,1-3 . That's going to give them a lot of confidence coming here, which is very different from being a jinx. And that's a factor that could affect the result, but I think Mousinho's team is made of sterner stuff and we will win.

I presume this is our worst record of consecutive defeats by an opponent at Fratton Park? I seem to remember Chelsea beating us at home regularly in the Premiership and Championship.
Chelsea won 8 consecutive games at Fratton Park but over a much longer period (1987 -2007), but I expect they were favourites for all or most of those. Charlton certainly weren't.

I doubt anyone can beat that.
(03-11-2023, 04:07 PM)FiftyYearsOn Wrote: [ -> ]I seem to remember in my younger days travelling to Selhurst Park and seeing us lose 2-1 or worse on many occasions. Probably it wasn’t like that but it feels like it! However I did see us win there once.. cup 2nd replay against orient possibly?

Yeah my mum and dad took me to that game, Bobby kellard and Ron Davies scored
(03-11-2023, 04:07 PM)FiftyYearsOn Wrote: [ -> ]I seem to remember in my younger days travelling to Selhurst Park and seeing us lose 2-1 or worse on many occasions. Probably it wasn’t like that but it feels like it! However I did see us win there once.. cup 2nd replay against orient possibly?

1977 - lost 2-1
1983 - lost 2-1
1985 - lost 2-1
1986 - lost 2-1
1989 - lost 2-0 (Hillsborough disaster)
1990 - lost 2-1

Pretty much went to all of those games. And, as I recall, it pissed with rain every time!
I’m sure we will hear
We always win at fratton park sung from the Milton end next week.

2-0

I don’t get why that should give them a lot of confidence. Most of their players have never experienced playing at Fratton with Charlton, for any more than a couple of games.  They are playing the league leaders, on an incredible run of form. They’ve failed to win 3 of their last 6 games and they are 8 points behind. 

They aren’t as good as us and if we perform as we should then there is absolutely nothing to fear. 

2-0!
(04-11-2023, 07:37 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

2-0

I don’t get why that should give them a lot of confidence. Most of their players have never experienced playing at Fratton with Charlton, for any more than a couple of games.  They are playing the league leaders, on an incredible run of form. They’ve failed to win 3 of their last 6 games and they are 8 points behind. 

They aren’t as good as us and if we perform as we should then there is absolutely nothing to fear. 

2-0!

Er....slight correction needed there Sir.....they won 2-3 away at Wigan in mid-week!

Agreed they're not as good as us or else they'd be top of the table, but we all know what a funny old game football is!
(03-11-2023, 11:33 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]

1977 - lost 2-1
1983 - lost 2-1
1985 - lost 2-1
1986 - lost 2-1
1989 - lost 2-0 (Hillsborough disaster)
1990 - lost 2-1

Pretty much went to all of those games. And, as I recall, it pissed with rain every time!
Good grief it was every bit as bad as I remember!! Yes rain was a feature as well. Happy days!!
Are there any teams that don't have the hoodoo over us? I seem to recall Huddersfield being one.
(04-11-2023, 08:12 AM)Mostlysunny Wrote: [ -> ]

2-0

2-0!

Er....slight correction needed there Sir.....they won 2-3 away at Wigan in mid-week!

Agreed they're not as good as us or else they'd be top of the table, but we all know what a funny old game football is!

Thank you for playing. I believe that result is accounted for in my assessment. Have I missed something?
(04-11-2023, 03:41 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-11-2023, 08:12 AM)Mostlysunny Wrote: [ -> ]

2-0

2-0!

Thank you for playing. I believe that result is accounted for in my assessment. Have I missed something?

My mistake Sir! Bloomin heck….. I must be more stressed about next Saturday than I thought!!
Pages: 1 2