TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Calm down, calm down!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, so we lost in the FA Cup and put in a very poor performance.....but it's not the end of the bloomin World, or even the season!

Personally, I'm quiet pleased we're out of both the main Cup competitions at this stage of the season as it leaves us with just the league to focus on (forgetting the Big Bristol's Cup or whatever it's called now!)

Of course it's never good to see the Team perform so poorly, but c'mon chaps, have you never had a day at work when you really couldn't be arsed!

So let's all calm down and re-group for next Saturday when I expect normal service to be resumed....although of course Charlton are a real jinx team for us!
In the 1961 - 1962 season we went on to be champions of the old division 3 having lost in the first round of the FA cup. Here’s hoping…
I only managed to watch the 1st half and we didn't play badly for that 45. I'm guessing the 2nd half was shit.

We lost to a manager who knows how to beat better teams. 

I'm not bovvered.

Let's go an win the league instead.
If I’d made the effort and spent out to go up and watch that shit, I’d be livid. If my employee’s performed that badly, I’d be on them like a ton of shit.
To be fair we were awful first half and worse second but I agree all that matters is the league but that performance has been coming for weeks and that’s the worry. Can we find a performance next week?

Deebo

I guess you can afford to be sanguine about it if you didn’t drive hundreds of miles for an early ko and spend shedloads of money in the process. That performance was disrespectful to the fans who rightfully expect more. Also disappointed with JM sharing a joke with his opposite number with 5 mins left when he should have been firing up the players.
(05-11-2023, 06:12 PM)Deebo Wrote: [ -> ]I guess you can afford to be sanguine about it if you didn’t drive hundreds of miles for an early ko and spend shedloads of money in the process. That performance was disrespectful to the fans who rightfully expect more. Also disappointed with JM sharing a joke with his opposite number with 5 mins left when he should have been firing up the players.

Every team hits a purple patch  , look at Sheffield Wednesday last season,don't panic and keep backing the team ...
It's not disastrous obviously and there's an advantage to being out of the cups and ending the unbeaten tag. But as people can obviously see there's a problem on the wings and in supporting Bishop. We need Pack and Ogilvie to return, a born again Curtis and one or two key targets in January.
(05-11-2023, 06:59 PM)kindofblue Wrote: [ -> ]It's not disastrous obviously and there's an advantage to being out of the cups and ending the unbeaten tag. But as people can obviously see there's a problem on the wings and in supporting Bishop. We need Pack and Ogilvie to return, a born again Curtis and one or two key targets in January.

Curtis is not a Pompey player any more.   And very unlikely to want to become one.
(05-11-2023, 06:59 PM)kindofblue Wrote: [ -> ]It's not disastrous obviously and there's an advantage to being out of the cups and ending the unbeaten tag. But as people can obviously see there's a problem on the wings and in supporting Bishop. We need Pack and Ogilvie to return, a born again Curtis and one or two key targets in January.

We haven’t really missed Ogilvie, until today, when Sparkes went off.
To be fair that Chesterfield team would be giving most of league one a run for their money.
Cunny I’ve corrected this for you. “We’ve really missed Ogilvie, especially as Sparkes can’t tackle”.
We’ve been weak left side since Scully’s been injured that’s why Kamara has played way more than he should’ve. Lane has been superb up until Saturday so can’t really complain. We should never have gotten Whyte, he hasn’t really performed for his last two clubs. We need a left wide player/ winger desperately in January.

I’d like to see JM play Stevenson alongside Morrell and push Robertson back up into the 10 role.

Hopefully we’ll bounce Bach Saturday.
Bach is playing Saturday? Music to my ears.
To the OPs point, I have seen exactly zero people on here pissing their sheets over losing the game yesterday.

In fact the opposite has been true: almost everything I have read has been saying Chesterfield got their just rewards and good for them.
(06-11-2023, 12:08 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Cunny I’ve corrected this for you. “We’ve really missed Ogilvie, especially as Sparkes can’t tackle”.
We’ve been weak left side since Scully’s been injured that’s why Kamara has played way more than he should’ve. Lane has been superb up until Saturday so can’t really complain. We should never have gotten Whyte, he hasn’t really performed for his last two clubs. We need a left wide player/ winger desperately in January.

I’d like to see JM play Stevenson alongside Morrell and push Robertson back up into the 10 role.

I’ll take issue with you on that one, Tag. I note Sparkes showing steady improvement of late (i said the same, post Reading) and one particular challenge, in the first half, says you may be being a bit harsh on him.
(06-11-2023, 06:18 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2023, 12:08 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Cunny I’ve corrected this for you. “We’ve really missed Ogilvie, especially as Sparkes can’t tackle”.

I’ll take issue with you on that one, Tag. I note Sparkes showing steady improvement of late (i said the same, post Reading) and one particular challenge, in the first half, says you may be being a bit harsh on him.

Sparkes is actually a very good tackler, but his defensive weak area is getting caught out of position - which I guess is a price you have to pay for his attackive prowess.
(06-11-2023, 06:35 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2023, 06:18 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

Sparkes is actually a very good tackler, but his defensive weak area is getting caught out of position - which I guess is a price you have to pay for his attackive prowess.
Which means we need an experienced left sided player in front of him, we are very inexperienced with Scully out. Whyte maybe could add the experience but not much else on what we have seen to date. 
TBH , he has really improved. However, I’d prefer Ogilvie as LB, maybe trying Sparkes further up the pitch in front of Ogs could be an idea. I know it’s risky playing both our LB’s at once but we have Hume as back up . This version could take us up to the TW in January until we can get a ‘left winger’ in.
sparkes in front of ogilivie seems sensible to me. We could let kamara have a refresh and then have a run on the right wing which is apparently his best position.
Also lets Sparkes take the corners without leaving the left wing open to a fast break.
(06-11-2023, 10:42 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]TBH , he has really improved. However, I’d prefer Ogilvie as LB, maybe trying Sparkes further up the pitch in front of Ogs could be an idea. I know it’s risky playing both our LB’s at once but we have Hume as back up . This version could take us up to the TW in January until we can get a ‘left winger’ in.

Will Ogilvie be an option, before January?

I don’t think we can afford Sparkes to not be in the side. He’s almost the only one giving service to Bish.
(07-11-2023, 05:48 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2023, 10:42 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]TBH , he has really improved. However, I’d prefer Ogilvie as LB, maybe trying Sparkes further up the pitch in front of Ogs could be an idea. I know it’s risky playing both our LB’s at once but we have Hume as back up . This version could take us up to the TW in January until we can get a ‘left winger’ in.

Will Ogilvie be an option, before January?

I don’t think we can afford Sparkes to not be in the side. He’s almost the only one giving service to Bish.

and don't mess with Lane, moving him to the left on Sunday worked out very badly indeed.
Tonight would have been a far better game to try that with him and Kamara switching.

and please use Stevenson to add some balance to the side.