TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Charlton game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This has got to be a worry now. Chesterfield have a decent League 1 side, but they really did Pompey for tactics. Now everybody in the division knows what tactics to use to beat them and if there is one team good at doing them for tactics it's Charlton.
Now a massive , massive game and come Saturday night we could be experiencing either of two extreme emotions.
However, we must put the crap performance at Chesterfield away, and now turn our total thoughts and energy to the THE MOST important issue. We must forget their recent record at FP - I know ..... but we must.
That is all history. and - we may moan about losing - to an arguably offside goal - to the top side in the National LEAGUE, but what about Charlton ? - not too good a performance was it, against the Mill team way below Chesterfield in the pyramid, and they played them at the Valley - Come on !
John M scream at them, then get them together for Saturday. I was cheered today about 0815 listening to Jamo ( DJ) on Five live, eulogising about Fratton Park and the fans. And that is what must happen, Portsmouth FC - everyone must be ready with this - forget the FA cup this term,
The league Boys and Girls - the LEAGUE !!
Chesterfield are a good side but they didn’t beat us with tactics. We were shit.

We were crap against Cheltenham too but they were a poor side.
(06-11-2023, 11:30 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Chesterfield are a good side but they didn’t beat us with tactics. We were shit.

Add our record against Chelsea & Charlton and you wonder what it is about teams beginning with CH !
We will not play as bad against Charlton as we did against Chesterfield.
Charlton drew against cray valley so they also must of played rubbish yesterday
Albeit having dropped all 11 of their league starting eleven!
Don't know how to call this one now! We've had a wobble (split decision if that was a good thing at the right time). Does that mean we are grounded and we go out and put Charlton to the sword or does it mean the guard is down and the fuckers can come and Charlton us again?
Have a feeling we will bounce back in style…
We do need to think about which subs to use to maintain the team shape.
On Sunday the subs changed the shape and we lost our usual cohesion.

Whyte did not look great but does fit into our team set up.
I'm not quite sure how we get Yengi into the team unless we take Bishop off.
I suspect we will have a better team shape minus Anjorin too.
Time to be careful not to follow Cowley's fiddling and put out our strongest and best shape team, for me with a little more experience (Stevenson) or muscle (Saydee), mind you I would have used both at Chesterfield.
Subbing on Saydee and Stephenson seemed an orthodox and anticipated change Hammie.

However, I have a thought that Mous was perhaps trying to "do something different " to outfox Paul Cook, - however, whatever it was - not a good result.
(06-11-2023, 11:50 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2023, 11:30 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Chesterfield are a good side but they didn’t beat us with tactics. We were shit.

Add our record against Chelsea & Charlton and you wonder what it is about teams beginning with CH !

We’ve had reasonable success against the chaff down the road.
Yep, Saturday will be a real test for both the team and JM

I reckon it will have a lot to do with confidence and self belief, which after 26 league games unbeaten, SHOULD be at an all time high. Even though Marlon is still unable to play, he can be a tremendous influence in the dressing room and will hopefully get the lads fired up.

If we can keep Alfie May quiet for 90 minutes (not easy), then we should be in with a good shout. 

(......just as an aside, I can't help thinking that Bish and May would have made a brilliant forward duo!)
Considering Pack's record against Charlton last season I'm rather glad he's not playing.
Just read we have given Charlton 524 more seats, bringing their total allocation to 2153.
(07-11-2023, 11:29 AM)Mostlysunny Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, Saturday will be a real test for both the team and JM

I reckon it will have a lot to do with confidence and self belief, which after 26 league games unbeaten, SHOULD be at an all time high. Even though Marlon is still unable to play, he can be a tremendous influence in the dressing room and will hopefully get the lads fired up.

If we can keep Alfie May quiet for 90 minutes (not easy), then we should be in with a good shout. 

(......just as an aside, I can't help thinking that Bish and May would have made a brilliant forward duo!)

I would also look to try to nullify Blackett-Taylor who destroyed us at The Valley last year.

Pity Ogilvie's injured as he could have man marked him.
Tough game as always. Hopefully we can put out a strong enough team with a fair few missing now.
3-0 Pompey. We're on our way.
I'm going for a stylish win: 3-1
This is one that has me shitting myself a bit tbh.

Deebo

Lol. I hope the players don’t read this thread. They’ll think we’re playing Real Madrid.
And not the team that failed to beat an isthmian league side.
Bishop to be at his best, but only if supplied with some ammunition.
Probably revert to Kamara left and Lane right who between them have shown they can do the job, depends how tired they are, both might be in need of a shot break as subs.
In which case Whyte might start.

I think Chesterfield made us play crap, it's all about how you play on the day.
(08-11-2023, 06:15 PM)Ain’t got a Danny Wrote: [ -> ]And not the team that failed to beat an isthmian league side.

I doubt we will be facing more than one or two players from the team that failed to beat Cray Valley.
Pages: 1 2